Houzz Logo Print
jackee_bauchonek

would like a modern kitchen advice

I am building a house and I love the contemporary and modern look. I have purchased my kitchen cabinets already, they are white shaker cabinets with glass doors for the top cabinets. I know this is more traditional look, can I get advise on how to put a modern spin on it? what color counter tops, back splash and handles for the cabinets? I bought black stainless steel appliances. the picture is very close to what the cabinets I bought look like. thank you

Commenti (20)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 anni fa

If you wanted contemporary and modern, you should have bought such cabinets. Don't start muddling everything up here.

• PRO
    Lakeside Architecture Inc.
    6 anni fa

Perhaps black granite and more modern fixtures and lighting accessories. Good luck.

• damiarain
    6 anni fa

An odd cabinet choice for a modern kitchen.. but maybe something along the lines of the glass backsplashes in thread could be an idea...

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5214903/glass-backsplashes-thoughts

• Laurie Schrader
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

This is where it starts to feel like a "pile-on", so striking the best tone I can: These sorts of cabs, pulls, backsplash etc can really update a space. But as other have said don't conflate updates with modern or contemporary. And hey- if this is the look you want, it's very warm and inviting.

Go your own way- take on your own style, refuse to classify except to have a cohesive space- and let it shine.

• Naf_Naf
    6 anni fa

Maybe you can get some ideas here:

https://www.snaidero-usa.com

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 anni fa

Why don't you get professional help before you buy anything else?

• User
    6 anni fa

What overlay are your cabinets? Inset, like you posted? Or full overlay like most of the rest that have been posted?

Becsuse “like” isn’t. What are the exact cabinets that you picked?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 anni fa

Modern spin: Black round plates behind the glass doors.

counter tops: Pink

back splash: Teal

handles: Bronze

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 anni fa

I think if you shoot for "transitional" instead of modern/contemporary, you might have an easier time and still achieve a look you like. I'd consider all of the white kitchens in derk's post above as transitional in style.

Yes, labels such as "traditional", "modern", "contemporary", and "transitional" can be a lot of hooey : ) , but they're also an effective way of communicating with others, especially when you're trying to explain a particular aesthetic.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 anni fa

Is the house currently under construction?

• kayce03
    6 anni fa

You could lean into high contrast with simple black pulls, black matte (no shine!) counter top and a stacked 2x8 tile.

• freeoscar
    6 anni fa

Surprised at the negative reactions here - you can definitely pull off a more contemporary look with shaker - obviously it isn't going to be ultra contemporary like it would be with a high gloss slab doors and frameless cabs, but you can definitely contemporize it.

the pulls make a huge difference - a modern style in chrome. stacked tile for the backsplash. a monochromatic countertop with a squared edge. A very simple molding on top, and to the degree it isn't too late, for the feet as well. If there's counter/bar seating - there are tons of great contemporary options. What you put inside the glass cabs matters a lot as well. And some kind of large-format concrete-like tile.

• Katie Tate
    6 anni fa

OP I think it is that you stated "contemporary and modern" in your original post. KD's use these terms to describe a very specific look. If you wanted to know what would look good with the type of cabinets you showed then that was how you should have worded it. I'm not being snarky just letting you know how it seems to work over on this forum. Have fun designing your space, it is for you so enjoy it.

6 anni fa

Jackee, you may not have liked the replies, which were not at all out of line under the circumstances given your “brief”, and in a free public forum to boot, but there is no call whatsoever to use the language you did.

I could not be sorrier to have replied upthread.

• Jackee Bauchonek
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I said I like contemporary and modern look...in the orginal post....and asked CAN I put a modern "spin" with these cabinets. if people think NO these looks must be separated then that would be the answer I need. not "get professional help" "you shouldn't have bought these cabinets"...... and this is a free forum I can type what I want especially seeing how people are on here, I don't feel bad calling them out. if they want to be snarky and rude and not helpful then I can say I don't need those comments. I'm looking for "no don't mix the looks, stick with traditional with blah blah blah suggestions " .....is that really that hard? I figured people on here like to give suggestions or thoughts on how they would design around these cabinets. if not, don't read this and move on
  • deegw
    6 anni fa

Yes, some of the people posting on this thread are vultures that like to pick at new posters. That being said, if you are building, it is hard to understand why you would pick those cabinets if you don't want traditional style. Will you share some inspiration photos of kitchens that you like?

I suspect that you might have your terminology mixed up. We can't help you get somewhere if we can't understand where you want to go.

6 anni fa

You wrote

wow surprised that so many people are as holes and judging

and now have the temerity to refer to others as snarky and rude.

• cpartist
    6 anni fa

Maybe some comments were removed, because I don't see anyone who was a vulture or snarky on this thread. One has to realize that writing can sound clipped and blunt because we don't have the ability to see the other person. Additionally there are as many different styles of writing on this forum as there are people. Every one posting I know is here just to help.

Jackee, did you buy inset cabinets like in your photo? That is much more traditional than full overlay as shown in derk5's shaker cabinet photos.

Either way, I'd try and find some very contemporary pulls.

Are you thinking of continuing the black/white theme? If so, I'd probably do a black granite and a white painted glass backsplash. Maybe even paint the interior glass cabinet back walls in black but then be sure to do glass shelves inside.

• cpartist
    6 anni fa

You wrote

wow surprised that so many people are as holes and judging

Gee, now I'm sorry I posted.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".