Houzz Logo Print
enendesign

How thin can I go with rails and stiles for shaker doors in kitchen?

EnEn
6 anni fa

Looking for a more modern look in the kitchen while going with shaker doors instead of flat panel. Would like to go with 1" for the rails and stiles? Is this possible? Are there cabinet hinges out there to accommodate? My cabinetmaker is telling me the thinnest I can go is 2" but I'm hoping there's a way to go thinner.

Best guess on the with of the rails and stiles in this pic?

Commenti (95)

• PRO
    Arin Pounov
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

https://www.blum.com/us/en/products/innovations/thin-doors/overview/

These are the hinges here. You would use these for a door that's thinner than the standard 3/4". So if for example you are going for the Shaker Slim look but want to keep your doors 3/4" thick, your center panel would probably be 1/2" material so a traditional hinge wouldn't work. I imagine you'd be able to use these hinges for that application. Click on the Installation tap in the link for further details but these are way simpler to install than traditional hinges - it's just two 10mm holes that the hinge expands in when locked. Your hole placement needs to be pretty precise so yes it would take some skill (I would make a jig to make sure all doors are drilled out exactly the same) but other than that it's just a drill and a 10mm bit.

Here are some photos of a 1” stile/frame cabinet door (7/8” thickness)

EnEn ha ringraziato Arin Pounov
  • Rivka
    2 anni fa

Years later the thread revives itself! I didn’t see anyone answer the question if you can use glass panels with slim shaker and what is the smallest you can go for that? Thanks so much!

• PRO
    cameo fine cabinetry Inc.
    2 anni fa

make the door thicker so that hinge does not protrude to the front in the shaker part of the door.

• jigs1122
    2 anni fa

That’s what we ended up doing…. 7/8 in thick door with a 5/8 inch thick Center panel.

• jdesign_gw
    2 anni fa

Slim shaker door is not actually a shaker door. It’s a slab door with a solid wood border. It’s hinged like a typical slab door. There are low profile cup hinges by several different companies but if you stay with 5/8” or more commonly 3/4” slab you wouldn’t need speciality hinges.

• everpark
    2 anni fa

Exactly how my carpenter built ours.

• amh7
    2 anni fa

Nice!

• michael pearson
    2 anni fa

Probably not everyones taste but i am building my first shakers. i went 2 1/4 on the cabinets and 1 1/4 on drawers. I like the different sizes. if the weather ever lets up ill finish and get them in paint

• michael pearson
    2 anni fa

• Rivka
    2 anni fa

I like it!

• irika
    2 anni fa

Everpark

i love your doors, would you mind showing your upper cabinets? Is it white oak?

• michael pearson
    2 anni fa

• michael pearson
    2 anni fa

They are maple ill post the uppers when they are installed. still finishing them

• irika
    2 anni fa

Thank you, Michael.. your cabinets are beautiful.

But this question was to Everpark

• PRO
    EnEn
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Beautiful designs, all! 3.5 years later and I’m finally posting a pic of my kitchen. Mine aren’t as thin as I had initially planned, but still thinner than typical shakers and I love them! Blum didn’t yet make the hinges @arin-pounov mentioned.

• irika
    2 anni fa

EnEn

Beautiful kitchen!! How thin are they?looks beatiful!!

• tztbn1
    2 anni fa

Gorgeous kitchen! Thanks for posting.

• everpark
    2 anni fa

@irika. I don’t really have many uppers except for the one. It’s a mix of white oak and white in my kitchen.

• irika
    2 anni fa

Everpark, Gorgeous kitchen!!! Thank you for the pictures!!! Did you use just a clear stain on the wood?

• everpark
    2 anni fa

@irika. Thank you. I tested a ton of stains because a clear stain will make it look yellow. I wanted it to look like it did before anything was applied to it. I ended up having my carpenter mix a tad of white into water based poly. It was like a teaspoon to a quart. Very small amount. Too much it looked whitewashed.

• irika
    2 anni fa

Everpark, Thank you for sharing. I dont want yellow either.. will tell my carpenter..maybe be van achieve this color too

• PRO
    Arin Pounov
    2 anni fa

Steer away from poly which will always yellow (and give you that plastic wood look). Check out Osmo products, gorgeous bare-wood look results.

• PRO
    Arin Pounov
    2 anni fa

https://osmocolorusa.com/product/one-coat-hs/

theres a clear sealer as well as tinted

”stains”. Very easy to work with, nontoxic and no brushstrokes to deal with. Smells good too :)

• Sandra Ciccone
    2 anni fa

@EnEn What size did you end up going on your shaker cabinets (rails and stiles) - Are they 2" or 2 1/4"?? They look great!

• adclanton
    l'anno scorso

Could anyone recommend a door and hinge combination, specifically a company that offers this door style and which hinge that works? We’re trying to use Conestoga’s Fargo door, but reps from three different companies won’t sell it because of hinge issues. Thanks!

• alli F
    l'anno scorso

@everpark I love your kitchen design! What size are your rail/stiles? We're updating our cabinets and going with 1 inch. I'm having a hard time finding photos of the finished product though. I'm also interested to see ideal hardware placement-- I like what you did!

• everpark
    l'anno scorso

Thank you so much!!My carpenter found a way to do the with 1”. It can’t be done the traditional shaker way as the rails and stiles would be to thin for hinges. A couple photos of the front and back. I’m not sure what you mean by ideal hardware placement. The pictures I posted show where I placed the hardware which is what I thought looked best.

• alli F
    l'anno scorso

@everpark thanks so much--I appreciate the response and pictures (btw, that white oak is beautiful!) Our cabinet designer's mockup shows cabinet door pulls placed on the stiles and I've seen some other photos with hardware on the stile/rail too. I really prefer placing knobs on the panel like what you've done. Seems more practical too :)

• katjafish
    l'anno scorso

We were looking at doing 1.5”, as true “Skinny” Shaker was too narrow and traditional 2.25” was too thick. Now I am wondering if I should reduce to 1”? Who knew kitchen remodel could be so tedious?!

• 2blackcat
    l'anno scorso

I am struggling to find 1.5" - 1 3/4" glass panel "skinny" shaker door that has hidden hinges. The plan is to cover the frame in a rift cut white oak veneer to match the flat panel doors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    l'anno scorso

A custom wood worker,

• vannerpham
    l'anno scorso

I am struggling between 1" and 1.25" slim shacker. Our custom cabinet guy says 1" is becoming quite popular. My concern is that I want to have the option to have (small) pull tabs on the frame. @everpark are your cabinets frames 1"? Thanks in advance.

• 2blackcat
    l'anno scorso

vannerpham, Look up this great kitchen by Nate Fischer Interiors on Houzz. It is wood with 3/4" slim shaker. Fantastic kitchen that could give you an idea how to do your hardware.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/lake-chateau-pj-vj~6043226

• Craig Gallacher
    l'anno scorso

I can’t see details on the hardware for SLIM Shakers

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    l'anno scorso

Why have shaker at all ?? Do a slab.

• A. P.
    l'anno scorso

Will someone please explain exactly how you do hinges for a skinny shaker? I read all posts above but didn’t see an explanation, or hinged pictures. My cabinet maker also says smallest they can do is 2” stiles in order to fit the hinges. But I KNEW there’s a way it can be done because it’s all over instagram, Pinterest etc. But my cabinet maker swears it can’t be done.

What is the secret????

• A. P.
    l'anno scorso

I agree - ever park your white oak cabinets are beautiful! Is that rift?

• vannerpham
    l'anno scorso

We LOVE our slim shaker cabinets. We ended up going with the 1.25 inch frame. To maintain strength, they use a thicker internal facing frame (2.5 inches) that can handle the hinges. Now the next challenge is finding pulls and knobs that will fit!

• cheryl spence
    l'anno scorso

@everpark thank you for sharing your kitchen door construction! I was wondering what hinges your cabinet person used. Thank you in advance for any help in this :)

• everpark
    l'anno scorso

My carpenter found a way to do the doors with 1”. It can’t be done the traditional shaker way as the rails and stiles would be to thin for hinges.

• everpark
    l'anno scorso

Looks like he used two different kinds? Not sure exactly which model number of these but maybe this will help.

• signaturemama
    l'anno scorso

My cabinet builder is using a slab door and adding trim to create a skinny shaker door.

A traditional shaker frame needs to be 2” for higher quality hinges, so using the slab door behind the skinny shaker trim gives him plenty of room to do that. HTH!

• Utente-319610855
    10 mesi fa

Signaturemama - your carpenter is doing it the way I thought most logical. years down the track….did you go ahead with this, and did it all work well?

• John Bantayan
    10 mesi fa

Can I use traditional hardware if I do the rails and styles at 1x7/8 and the panels will be at 3/4?

• ıɹıs tt
    9 mesi fa

We did 1¾" stiles and rails with a 22.5º bevel. This is the minimum the cabinetmaker would go to fit the hinge cups. The front edges of the stiles and rails end up around 1⅝"—overall it looks a bit lighter and slimmer but still a little traditional.

In our bathrooms we went with slab + mitered 1" trim (i.e. not shaker). These doors have Häfele hinges with 8mm cups. Notably though these do not have the soft close that we have on our shaker cabinets in the kitchen.

• kathy3lin
    9 mesi fa

For those of you with slim shakers, what is the reveal? (how much is the center panel inset/how much do the rails/stiles stick out?). We are getting 1" rails/stiles and trying to figure out with the reveal should be.

Thank you!!

• PRO
    TaylorCraft Cabinet Door Company
    8 mesi fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 mesi fa

TaylorCraft Cabinet Door Company builds 3/4", 1" and 1.25" frame width 4S doors that are unique in their construction method and accept european hinges even at these narrow widths. The door construction is patent pending. 4S doors are offered in stain grade natural wood and paint grade material for those looking for a skinny shaker or slim shaker cabinet door look. 4S doors are true 3/4" thickness so they work with standard hinges designed for 3/4" thick doors. 4S doors have the following features:

• No lip moulds, no miter joint construction
    • 90 degree joints which create a more stable, durable frame
    • True 3/4″ door thickness
    • Seamless, smooth, jointless back
    • Real wood – in the white
    • Works with standard hardware and hinges for 3/4″ thickness doors
    • No nails, nail holes or fasteners that create hinge placement concerns

• nruh
    3 mesi fa
    Ultima modifica: 3 mesi fa

Hi everyone, we are starting to plan our kitchen remodel and I’ve been lusting over the slim shaker cabinets for a while! So happy to have found this thread - every waking moment in the past couple days has me debating on the stile width!

I’m finding 3/4” too slim for my liking, and wondered what 1” and 1.25” would look like. Thank you @everpark and @vannerpham for sharing your beautiful kitchens!
    I’m more inclined to go with 1.25” stiles now.

@vannerpham could you please share more photos of your finished kitchen? And details on the pocket doors (pocket hardware details) installed around the microwave garage.

@everpark could you share your brass hardware? knobs and handles

• nruh
    il mese scorso

Hi all, following up to see if someone could offer suggestions on slim shaker hardware. We are finally going for 1.25” slim shaker - it’s a slab door with the 1.25” stiles / rails on top, so no hinge issues with the solid doors. The problem right now is glass uppers - I’m
    Fixated on having those in the 1.25” shaker style too. Routing out space for glass would take up 3/8”, and the hinges need to be mounted minimum 3/16” from the edge of door, leaving me with slightly less than an inch for the hinge to fit on the glass panel doors
    Any suggestions on mini soft close hinges? I’ve found slim profile air salice hinges that will solve the problem entirely.. but my cabinet maker will need to make a jig to route out those long holes for the hinges on the cabinets and doors.. more experimentation and more $$

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".