Houzz Logo Print
tufty007

Need advice on door openings on plan

J Tufty
6 anni fa

Hi guys,

I have my plan back. Im focusing on the door openings. Is there a better way to do these? For example, as it currently is, if I walk into the lounge the first thing I have to do is side-step the sofa. Am I thinking too much about this, or would it be better if the doors were hung the other way?

Id really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Commenti (11)

• PRO
    Rumi Bunya Design Ltd
    6 anni fa

Hello! I don't think you are thinking too much about the door openings. It's important to get it right in order to use the space comfortably. If it were my house I would swap the hinges on the other side so to swing the doors open towards walls rather than rooms. I would have sliding door between lounge and kitchen (install on the kitchen side) and have the bathroom door swinging out rather than in. I think you would struggle to close the door when inside. Hope this helps!

J Tufty ha ringraziato Rumi Bunya Design Ltd
  • emgoodfellow
    6 anni fa
    I agree as well. The en-suite door needs to open outwards, mine does as it's a small en-suite, and it's fine, no issues. And definitely flip the downstairs ones so they open onto the wall rather than into the room.
    J Tufty ha ringraziato emgoodfellow
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    6 anni fa
    I agree with above comments too ! You are right to question and suggest changing this at this stage.
    J Tufty ha ringraziato OnePlan
  • J Tufty
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks so much guys. This forum has been a massive help to me over the past few weeks!

Below is updated floorplan.

Rumi: I take your point about teh sliding door between kitchen and lounge, but its a cottage so may look out of place (I may be wrong!)

Ive now got the bathroom door opening out. Do you think I should move the door to the left of it further down the little hallway a bit (closer to the single bedroom) so theres a bit of space between them? Im just thinking of the scenario where someone comes out of the single bedroom - and if the bathroom door has been left open - they walk into it.

Danielle: The house requires full rewiring - so its all up for grabs as to where the light switches go. The electrician said he would help with placements - but just as an indication - where would you place the light switches? I presume the opposite side to where the door is hinged!?

• Danielle H
    6 anni fa
    Correct! You don’t want to open the door onto the light switch then have to walk in the room shut the door to turn it on. If the door opens to the right as you walk in pop the switch on the left and vice versa. I’d hope your electrician would advise this too!
    J Tufty ha ringraziato Danielle H
  • PRO
    Rumi Bunya Design Ltd
    6 anni fa

Hi. As for the bathroom with a tub I would keep the door swing as planned on the original plan (swinging in rather than out). You have enough space to close the door when inside and also you don't want to make a rather small space (corridor) even more crowded! For the other bathroom swinging out would be a better option (looks much better!) but I would probably swap the hinges on the other side so you can swing the door open away from the entrance of the bedroom. Re: sliding door, I don't think it would look out of space if you choose a right setting. You could even create a lovely feature out of it!

J Tufty ha ringraziato Rumi Bunya Design Ltd
  • Nicola Combe
    6 anni fa
    If you want to use a sliding door to fit in with your cottage style, perhaps something like a barn door? It would slide behind your sofa ...
  • janet_allen8
    6 anni fa
    Hi, new floor plan looks much better but would suggest sliding door for ensuite, will try and post pic ... if you search under “sliding barn door” they can be perfect for cottage setting
  • janet_allen8
    6 anni fa
    Nicola ... you obviously posted just what I meant as I was typing!
  • J Tufty
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I suppose my slight push-back with a sliding door is that Ive never seen or used one. The cottage style does look good and - like you say - could be made a feature of. I imagine theres always a gap around the edge of the door when its closed and rattles when being closed/opened. Again, Ive never seen or used one so probably wrong. Im in Devon - is there a showroom that I could go and see one in person?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".