Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_persaud38

Coffee Table Advice (Part II)

SPROUT117
6 anni fa

Hey Everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted a question about what kind of coffee table I should get for my living room. Though I got great advice from the Houzz community and thankfully was lead away from certain terrible ideas but was also given a better set of ideas. I still have not been able to choose the right coffee table. I guess it's because I love the rest of the room so much and I would hate to have something that stands out as an eyesore in the middle of the room.

The seating is the statement - the table is more functional (this will be the room that is not used as much as the den) and I would like a bit of glam and not so much masculinity to this room. I need to keep the feel airy and light.

I'm posting my living room pic again along with the 9 tables which I have narrowed this down to. (These tables are within budget and height specifications). The jury is still out regarding shape: i think rounder (ovals and rounds) would add a softness to the room but the rectangle might balance better? I will say that I like nesting tables, but not with solids and I do not like mirrored tops of tables (seems dated).

Not sure. Please help!

My living room:

Thank you!

J.

Rectangle 1
Rectangle 2
Rectangle 3
Oval 1
Oval 2
Oval 3
Round 1
Round 2
Hexagon

Commenti (52)

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@ellenoir...i feel the need to have a coffee table, even it isn't too big. The middle of the room looks too open for me. I just moved in so that whole side of the room with lamps/console is going to get cleared up and then art will be added (I just put those things in the corner). From the tables posted, which do you like best?

@havingfun - no, going for glam over natural, there's already enough natural in the room for me. Im not sure that I want end tables at all. Just a coffee table, some accessories and a find piece of art.

• Elle
    6 anni fa
    I like rectangles 1 and 3. 3 is a little softer and more feminine. 1 is more classic in shape, but the double gold lines will grab more attention. Of the two I would go with the smaller one.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

I don't know that I would choose any of those. they just don't click for me. maybe more of a solid top if you want the gold. how about one w/the marble top if you want the metal base?

this is here on Houzz and isn't that expensive.

I like the wood because it ties into the chairs.

here are similar set ups to yours...

• kulrn
    6 anni fa

I'm in love with your room! Don't know what your budget is, but this one from Macy's for $284 would look great. Otherwise, I pick oval 1 or rectangle 3.

table - Polyvore · Maggiori informazioni

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@beth H - So my original plan was the marble table top and gold legs but then was swayed away from it because 1) I want to keep the room light (so does the marble top block everything?) and 2) I figured I'd put a marble and gold tray on a glass table just not to commit. What do you think?

Is the marble and gold table that you listed above an oval?

Here are some tables which were in the running before:

I really love nesting, just not sure it's a dated look:

A rectangles with the glam look:

And rounds which I always question:

Still in the running:

The original table which was ordered and then cancelled:

Please let me know what you think.

@kulrn - this was in the running but I think it's a bit too masculine...i need the gold (glam):

• kulrn
    6 anni fa

This is pretty!

Glass Coffee Tables | Birch Lane · Maggiori informazioni

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

UPDATE: Hi Everyone! Thanks for the input. I've narrowed the selection down to the following(the first one wasn't in the running originally):

Please choose from these three!

Thank you!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

1 or 3

SPROUT117 ha ringraziato Beth H. :
  • SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@Beth H - thanks for bringing me back to the marble idea. At some point I had deleted it but I fell back in love with it again. I think I like table 3 but just out of curiousity - what does each table (not #2) say to you when you see it in my living room? I am trying to get a certain feel...Thank you!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

I like the wood w/the marble because it brings in the wood of your chairs. Now, if you had more traditional, glam type chairs, I'd say #2 would work. The marble and glass seem too 'formal' for what you have. ( I don't mean that in a negative way either)

I don't know how big#1 is, so maybe if you could tape it off, on the rug, it may give more a visual perspective?

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@ BethH

So #2 is definitely out of the running - I agree with you. It's #1 and 3 that I'm deciding upon.

The blue couch is 82" long and the seat is 18" high. The rug is 6 x 9.

The marble and wood rectangle table is 48"w x 20"d x 17"h.

The oval marble and metal table is 40"w x 25"d x 17.5"h

I think both would fit somewhat nicely, but I'm leaning towards the oval just because it's a little shorter and might leave the airy look in the room.

Thoughts?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

I'm not worried about the height, i was worried about the depth. #1 might be too narrow in depth for that spot. find something of the same measurement and stick it there so you can see. But, I can see #3 working in that spot.

please do a taller plant in the corner

art/decor ideas

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Yes - I taped it off and I feel like #3 is working best out of these three. Thank you for your help on this. The rectangle one feels a bit too matchy for me ...

Thanks so much for photoshopping...another user had done that with the oval table and I liked it the, still like it now...

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@BethH - if you had to choose between these two...which would you choose?

(the one above) 40x25x17.5

This one is 58" across...do you think it's a bit much for the length of the couch?

58x28x17.5

The second one is a cleaner look BUT a bigger table which could clutter.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

if the sofa is 82", that table leaves almost a foot at either end. will that be too big for you? I think the 28" is a good depth though. If they had that table a foot shorter, it'd be perfect. tape off the 58" and sit o the couch. see what you think. I do like .

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@ Beth H - i taped off and it's a bit large... I'm trying to get a bit of the glam feel and I'm not sure that the second one can do that. I'm torn between the two OR reverting back to glass/brass. Many say that glass/brass cheapens the room...your thoughts?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

I don't like the glass brass in your room. I do like the marble top w/either the wood or the gold.

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thanks so much...somehow the rectangle completes the vibe but I think the oval goes more formal and can be dressed up. Agreed?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

i think either shapes can work there. I think the glass/brass one is too formal for what you have. the oval shape in the marble/wood would work just as well as the rectangle. if you have a lot of squared off edges in the room, the oval would soften things up a bit.

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I like things with edges and have no round/curves/oval tables in my house (even my watches are all rectangles or squares- I never realized until a friend pointed this out). In a new house this might be a refreshing change. I feel like I’m going oval. The size seems good also. Maybe I’ll add one of those garden stools for a table in between the brown chairs...
  • User
    6 anni fa
    Rectangle #3 is really pretty! There’s also something similar at Serena & Lily- gold legs and a glass top.
  • PRO
    Blue Diamond Remodeling
    6 anni fa

Option one says "We spend a lot time laughing in here" and "stay a while". Definitely more of a family oriented living space look.

Option three says "This is our sit and chat over coffee space". More formal and bachelor pad look.

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    @bluediamond ....you mean from
    The two tables in this post, correct?
  • PRO
    Blue Diamond Remodeling
    6 anni fa

Yes! I was referring to the rectangular one for option one and the circular for option two. I'd love to see what you go with.

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

The space isn't my main guest room - I have a much more comfy/casual den so this would be the more formal/less used space...BUT i dont want it to be a bachelor pad!! Either way, I'm almost 100% set on the oval table...this has been a crazy journey and I have gone between up to 30 tables to try to figure this out....Somehow the oval has more character and the rectangle is "safe" to me. Oval meaning:

The accessories on the console will change and the green lamp will probably also be gone. The following accessories will be added:

Over the console:

Next to the window by the console:

One of the pillows below matched with the blue that you see (removing two) plus one more that I haven't found on the couch/sofa and/or chairs (both come in lumbar or square): Any help on the pillows is greatly appreciated...

Sumatra Throw Pillow, Multicolor, 16"x16" · Maggiori informazioni
    or

Let me know what you guys think!!

• PRO
    Blue Diamond Remodeling
    6 anni fa

I love those accessories! The colors and pieces are really going to bring the space together.

SPROUT117 ha ringraziato Blue Diamond Remodeling
  • SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I tried to photo shop them in with a number of different tables...what do you think? I thought this would help me...and it did in knowing that the accessories will work but this table just kills me...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

1,4, and 7. the round in number 4 actually looks good. I like that one. get a marble top and I might go w/that one. here, try this . they sell them on houzz. you'd have to find the correct size.

I like the accessories. not the mirror by the window. it's too nautical looking. get a taller plant to go in the corner and call it a day.

I don't know about the bright yellow pouf.

look at how they done the tree in the corner, the slat bench, the ceramic garden stool, (you could do that in a bright blue) and a few more plants. camel colored pouf.

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

We keep coming back to number one....and really my only hang up is if it will make the room feel heavy. Glass might or might not but it's that heavy marble top that I question, but also love. And yes...the round really did shock me in looking better than I thought it would. I also tried to photoshop these two in but couldn't get them to work out and gave up...

Though again, these are a lot safer than the first one.

What feel does the first one give you? What kind of vibe?

Regarding the plant, yes I have something better and taller...that stuff is just in the corner.

I found the brown pouf to be somewhat boring to me, but could also look cheap. That's just an afterthought, not sure that the pouf would make it in.

I have a very cool vintage mirror from my parents old bedroom set which will replace the mirror or go somewhere else in the room - but I needed some accessories to just make the room look complete.

That #1 seems to win every time even though i keep thinking i want glass. It's the airy vs. formal thing... but i won't lie, #1 has the most character.

• Pajarito
    6 anni fa

It looks as thought the art was bought to match the couch.I l prefer the colors in your pillows for the artwork. No to the mirror and yellow pouf for me. I think your room looked much better without the proposed changes. Agree with the taller plant.

SPROUT117 ha ringraziato Pajarito
  • SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@pajarito...too crowded now? I put some accessories in to make it look lived in - as i said, this is photoshopped so don't worry - I haven't bought anything yet. The real question is still this coffee table. Now that you see them in the room - any change in opinion of the best table?

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    6 anni fa

I would go with the brass oval with marble top that you have been considering since the beginning. To me, it has the most character and fits the vibe of your room the best. The others seem too safe, something that could be in any room.

SPROUT117 ha ringraziato Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
  • SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@hutchae84...thank you. i keep on going back to that one. The only hang ups are 1) does it add a heavy feel to the room? 2) what three words come to mind when you see the room with that table in it?

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    6 anni fa

Photoshopped into your room it doesn't feel heavy to me. It's a little "heavier" then the others but I think the Oval shape and lighter top help it feel not too heavy.

As far as vibe....do you know the style blogger Emily Henderson? It reminds me a lot of one of her rooms in a previous house (I think one of the above inspo pics is actually her's). So for me, I would assume the room (and you) are fun, artsy, California style.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    6 anni fa

The one Beth posted is Emily Henderson and the room reminds me of yours, super fun and quirky but still pulled together. I think the original brass and marble table fits that best.

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

yes its formal...but a bit of fun/quirkiness in it ...and yes, this was my inspiration - the yellow/pinks catch me but I am not a fan of the table at all..the color pops are my personality

It's funny because I'm NY in that I live in NY and wear black every day but those pops of color and fun in a room whether formal or not always get to me...EH is one of my favorites! hard to believe that the pic is from her living room 5 years ago (and she no longer has it or likes it).

• kulrn
    6 anni fa

I say go for the one your drawn to! Your room is light enough to carry it I think. 1, 2, 7 are my favs! I like Beth's too. I agree with Pajarito about the art, have more fun with it!

art - Google Search · Maggiori informazioni

Pilgrims (2017) Oil painting by Arun Prem | Artfinder · Maggiori informazioni

Family Room and Office Art · Maggiori informazioni

Frederic Pissarro's "Original Spark of Life" 40"x30" · Maggiori informazioni

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Funny that you should comment about the art...so here is my idea of awesome art:

First of all - I do love the one in the image because I'll have it printed on metallic paper and that makes ALL of the difference...but here are a few more (not necessarily for this room) that are fun (and I have gold fish on white in another room). Anything with a fun illusion, plenty of color, stark white backgrounds or pop art...that's my style...clean, but fun:

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

While we are looking at this room - does anyone have ideas for blinds?

• havingfun
    6 anni fa

for tables i would like would or gold or a mix of both.

Living Room Coffee Table with Steel Base Bowl Shaped - Reclaimed Wood · Maggiori informazioni

Accent & Coffee Tables: Living Room Furniture | Pier 1 Imports · Maggiori informazioni
    you have lots of gold, so here are a couple with wood.

• havingfun
    6 anni fa

you can not see me,but i am shivering in excitement. your art corresponds wiht my pillows! yeah,, I love pillows, do you want just ones that go with yours or sets that go with them. pretty much all are under $25 for 18x18. oh what the heck, let me know what you do not like and i will toss them. do you like kitties?

Amazon.com: Chinoiserie Pillow Cover - Black Pillow Cover - Koi Pillow Cover - F · Maggiori informazioni

$25-$50 & Under $25 Decorative Pillows on Hayneedle - $25-$50 & Under $25 Decora · Maggiori informazioni
    i can do blue oriental or an oriental set.

Amazon.com: HOSL Animal Style Giraffe Pink Glasses Sofa Simple Home Decor Design · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com: YPY Creative Fashion Cotton Linen Square Decorative Throw Pillow Cov · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com: Me Brands Orange And Bright Yellow Giraffe Print and the Cat Cushion · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com: Euro Cotton Linen Throw Pillow Cover Case 18"x18", Colorful Imaginar · Maggiori informazioni
    giraffes, i can even pick one and do a set with that.
    Amazon.com: octopus throw pillow · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com: octopus throw pillow · Maggiori informazioni
    no jellyfish, but i do have several octopai.

also not big on women but

Amazon.com: Yo-You Flaming-red Lips Print Modern Pillow Slipcovers 18-inch Throw · Maggiori informazioni

DOZZZ Canvas Cotton French Poster Impression Decorative Pillow · Maggiori informazioni
    oops, out of space.

• havingfun
    6 anni fa

ok bird pillows

Amazon.com: branch white flowers pillow · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com: branch white flowers pillow · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com: Pillow Case,Vovotrade Super Soft Square Throw Pillow Case Decorative · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com: Manual Climaweave Indoor/Outdoor Decorative Throw Pillow, 24 X 18-In · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com: Manual Climaweave Indoor/Outdoor Decorative Throw Pillow, 24 X 18-In · Maggiori informazioni

Amazon.com - Manual Climaweave Indoor/Outdoor Decorative Throw Pillow, 24 X 18-I · Maggiori informazioni

and last but not least whovian birdies! lol
    Amazon.com: Doctor Who Owl Pillowcase Custom Cushion Case Zippered Two Sides Pri · Maggiori informazioni
    off to make sure they are still there.

I have many more birds and animals, foxes, bunnies, kitties, elephants, puppies. love them all.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

havingfun,,,any koi?

• havingfun
    6 anni fa

yeah koi were the first two! the one from hayneedle is still there, just follow the trail and then type in koi.

amazon is gone but it leads you to all these other cool koi. nope my mistake the one from amazon is still there it just went from under $25 to over $50. but i picked up some more if you like.

Amazon.com: koi pillows · Maggiori informazioni

and one more coming.

• havingfun
    6 anni fa

so cool....

• suezbell
    6 anni fa

Your chairs are Danish mid-century modern -- or close -- and oval table 2 comes closest ... in my opinion.

Note: Clear glass/metal will not "fit" your current décor.

Note 2: Don't pick a coffee table -- or any furniture -- that has legs that extend beyond the rest of the piece unless you want a stumble hazard.

• Pajarito
    6 anni fa

Yes, too crowded for me, I am bit of a minimalist. I prefer the Elke from Crate and Barrel. I like the legs on it for your room and it's less predictable. Here is something to consider if I remember correctly you purchased the marble top dining room table from Calliagaris. Do you want two marble top tables in your space or something different or does it not matter to you? When I decorate my home I always consider the other rooms regarding how the style,shape and colors flow. I know other people may disagree with that approach but for me it works.

Love this painting for your room and the price is great for an original canvas. It pulls the pink into his room from your dining room chairs.

• SPROUT117
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Hey Everyone! Thanks so much for the table advice - I ended up with the oval table and it will be delivered between mid/end of march. While i'm waiting....what do you guys think of this table? Better? Worse? I would need two of them as they are much smaller and lower...i'm 95% sure about the oval but would love your opinions!!

@havingfun - thanks so much for all of the pillow options!!! I will revisit all accessories as soon as the table is placed in the room. I really love some of those!! How exciting that they match my art tastes!

While we we are waiting for the table, I was thinking about cream blinds (perhaps honeycomb) with some wood to mirror the chairs. Please let me know what's out there!!

Thank you!

J

• havingfun
    6 anni fa

thanks for liking the pillows. can't wait to see your room and help narrow down those pillows to perfect. unfortunately i do curtains so can't help with blinds.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".