Houzz Logo Print
ahanken

Architectural Designs Plan 64404SC

Audrey
6 anni fa

We will be building our forever home on Norris Lake in TN in 2-3 years. We like this plan from what we can see, but there are no actual interior photos. We'd love to hear from anyone who's built this plan. Thanks!

www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/2-bed...

Commenti (13)

• cpartist
    6 anni fa

Why do you like it?

• rrah
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

This is the link to the actual plan. OPs link doesn't work.https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/2-bed-craftsman-with-option-for-2-more-bedrooms-64404sc

There are more than 25 exterior "corners" (lost track counting) which will make it a pricey build. Most seem to serve no real purpose. The dining area is too narrow. The laundry is all the way across the house from the master bedroom (important as you age). Lots of interior angles that waste space. I'd also get rid of the 1/2 bath and have guests use the hall bath. Use the 1/2 bath space to make the master closet larger.

At least they offer a few options with a less complex roof.

Audrey ha ringraziato rrah
  • PRO
    Lakeside Architecture Inc.
    6 anni fa

Hi,

That is great! Do you already have a site? If so, I suggest hiring a designer or architect to modify the design to your site. Depending on your location, views and sun/wind direction the design will look and function very differently.

Good luck to you and all the best.

James.

• Audrey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

rrah, thank you for posting the correct link.

Lakeside, yes we do, and know this will fit. We've been discussing hiring an architect, but not sure if it should be in TN where the lot is or in WI where we currently live and could meet in person.

cpartist, the windows for the views, the open floor plan, the large curved island for when the kids come to visit (hopefully!). Main floor seems like it would work well for the two of us 90% of the time, but with walkout allow room for the kids and their families or friends to visit.

• Audrey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Great point on the laundry room and we thought the dining area was too narrow also. I hadn't noticed the interior angles, but now see what you mean.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 anni fa

I would be interested if anyone built this plan too, but I doubt it. You can do better than this. Contact a local architect to the area you plan on building and talk to them about them designing a home with you. Good architectural design starts with the site, not picking a plan to plop on a site.

(there's that technical term again)

• Audrey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Just put some feelers out for architects in Knoxville area. We started that way 7 months ago and found one we liked. Fortunately he was completely open that he could not guarantee he would make changes to his design (and now I think it should be our design) if the ARC would not approve. His concepts were edgy, so too big of a risk and we didn't move forward. Hopefully better luck this time.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 anni fa

Given your profile picture, I can see that you're retirement age. I would focus more on universal access.

The laundry room is hard to access if you need mobility devices someday. A laundry closet with side by side machines would be sufficient and practical.

Honestly I would build a lot less house with a focus on aging in place. One extra bedroom suite and a small sitting area on a second story for when you get overnight guests, living space all on the main level, maybe a caretaker suite on the main level for a potential live-in nurse.

• Architectrunnerguy
    6 anni fa

Living in and practicing an area with a lot of waterfront property (Annapolis....the drinking city with a sailing problem!), it's rare a generic design solution best addresses and takes full advantages of what a unique site has to offer.

And as another architect here^^^^ observed “Building a house is a good time to let dreams run wild. Too many people settle for other people's dreams.”...Well ok, I liked it. Even made my annual 100 quotes from the past year thread!

But the best of luck in your build. Exciting times ahead!

• cpartist
    6 anni fa

All those angles will be very expensive to build and they actually add nothing to how a house lives. In fact all those angles make it harder to place furniture and use space.

If you are getting towards retirement age, definitely consider having the laundry closer to your master bedroom.

The kitchen will be a nightmare to work in.

How much land are you building on?

• Forty SixnTwo
    3 anni fa

Did you end up building this land or something similar?

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".