Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9459064

Are free standing bathtubs a passing fad?

User
6 anni fa

Do you think free standing tubs are a quickly passing fad or not? Trying to decide if we want to replace the drop in tub we have with a free standing tub...Here's a pic of what I mean by free standing tub.

Commenti (51)

• acm
    6 anni fa

People hate cleaning around them. They look great. Depends on your value of those two things...

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 anni fa

Wouldn't say they're a fad, but they need the right space to make sense.

• PRO
    Justice Homes
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Our customers in the midwest love free standing tubs. However, they take extra planning for proper installation and may be more challenging for elderly people.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 anni fa

they are a fad because every style of bath tub has been and why should freestanding tubs be different? they were the original... if they were so great why did other styles replace them?

doesnt mean you shouldnt do it, but remember garden tubs? they were the bees knees.

• User
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I think the free standing tubs look so pretty. Are they comfortable? Easy to get in and out? How hard is it to clean around it? Any ways to make it easier to clean or no?

• User
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

what is a garden tub? I think that's what we have- there's a step up to get into the tub (I've never actually used it)

• smit2380
    6 anni fa

I hope so. Unless you leave a ton of space around them, they are a pain to clean around. I am short and fat and have no patience for trying to reach areas that are too narrow to mop. In your pic, how are you going to clean between the tub and the window wall easily? That space looks so narrow.

• cyndiego
    6 anni fa
    They seem like they would be dangerous for older folks to get in and out. Also impractical. Where does soap, towel, shampoo etc go? I like our drop in with a bench on the side. A place to sit, assist a kid in the tub, place items, etc. No point in having a luxurious bath if you can't have your novel, bubble bath and towels handy.
  • nicole___
    6 anni fa

I'm in Colorado, the Midwest. Claw foot tubs & freestanding tubs will ALWAYS be in style. We're cold...we sit and soak. Hot tubs are a BIG deal here too. The spa designed bathroom ....bigger....better...what's not to like!?! (we put little tables next to the tub cyndiego)

• PRO
    Attaway Homes
    6 anni fa

It truly depends on the style of your home. Freestanding tubs can have a traditional look to a very royal, elegant look depending on the style of the room.

• Amanda Smith
    5 anni fa

I love my Roman tub with it’s built-in surround. Plenty of room for bath supplies. I had two grab bars installed for safety. I would not want a freestanding tub.

• Jeff Meeks
    5 anni fa

If you actually take baths then I think they are practical and can look very nice. But I always shower and so would never have one as they don't seem very practical for showering.

• Helen
    5 anni fa

Insofar as they've trickled down into the middle class, I think they will go the way of Jacuzzi tubs.

They are meant to be placed in large bathrooms and probably in homes with well trained housekeepers. Do people really want to have to clean under, between and behind their bathtub? I had a clawfoot tub in college as have no desire to repeat the experience.

When squashed into even a normal bathroom in a space really designed for a drop in or alcove tub they make absolutely no sense.

And they are completely nonfunctional if you are less than agile or on the short side because there is a high surface to lift your feet in and out of.

• K Laurence
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

We have one, came with the house, have never used it. I find them impractical.. if I had had a choice , I would have opted to omit it. Mine just interrupts the flow of my large & otherwise beautiful bath.

• User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    What do you think is the most comfortable/practical style bath tub for an adult size person (ie not for kids bathing)?
  • m_gabriel
    5 anni fa

I love my freestanding tub! I like the way it looks in a bay window alcove and i love the shape of it and the high sides for sinking into. For me, it's just what I wanted and so much prettier than the off center built in tub that was there before.

• Heather N
    5 anni fa

I don't see how they could be a quickly passing fad when they've been around for over 100 years!

I love the look of them. I dislike the functionality a bit in that there isn't a place to put anything - shampoo, soap, etc.

Our freestanding tub is very deep and I don't love it because I like to prop up my ipad on the side of the tub and watch Netflix while taking a long bath, and there's nowhere to do that easily in a deep freestanding tub. Even if you put a little stool next to the tub or get one of those bath caddies that go across the tub, you can't really see the ipad screen because it is up so high.

• heatheron40
    5 anni fa

We have a clawfoot and I love it! We also have an old house. I find a long soak to be very relaxing. As for the shelf for soaps, we extended the window sill with a piece of Corian. Our shelf stays clutter free, until DD comes home from college then an explosion bath paraphernalia comes out of the woodwork!

• Karenseb
    5 anni fa

I love soaking in a claw foot tub, but I find them difficult to get in and out of. I much prefer a drop in tub with a generous deck that I can sit on and swing my legs in or out of the tub when entering or exiting the tub.

• Helen
    5 anni fa

@Heather - They are a trend as they have only recently been installed in new homes.

Clawfoot tubs had a niche in terms of people trying to recreate a true period bathroom but no one installed free standing tubs in modern bathrooms until several years ago.

Given that they aren't really functional except in the original enormous bathrooms they started appearing in or are a design element in a period bathroom which a homeowner is willing to deal with, I would suspect they are a trend as people realize that built in tubs are far more functional - just as people realized back in the 1920's when Kohler introduced the modern bathtub as easier to clean.

• jeanennemorphis
    5 anni fa

I love the iPad comment. That is why I chose a drop in tub. And the fact that my bathroom isn't large. The tub is next to the counter. I light candles and watch netflix or listen to a podcast. So my drop in works and is easy to clean. But I can see the attraction free standing. I had the jetted tub only to find out the jets get grimy. This is my third drop in tub. I've got art and shelves on the walls now. Anyway, I think this is a typical mid size master. The walk in shower is quite large comparatively and that'w what we use most.

in the photo. But I would never want to clean around it.

• Babar
    5 anni fa

If you are short try getting in and out of one, wet and slippery. I've used them in hotels and felt happy when I was successfully out and didn't kill myself. At least put a grab bar! And don't just say the elderly will have a problem--one false move, a slip on a wet surface trying to maneuver and you mess up your knee, ankle, etc. I merely stepped the wrong way on my staircase while carrying something downstairs and it took 6-8 months for my knee to fully recover. This is coming from a person who takes a bath once a day. Will take my drop in tub anyway--plenty of space all around to store luxurious bath products too. I encourage everyone to put in a grab bar around a tub when building. Anyone can twist an ankle etc and want to do a nice soak. But the grab bar in there just in case and needs to be drilled into the studs through the tile, not a simple add on later.

• mamadada
    4 anni fa

Nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.

• felizlady
    4 anni fa

Freestanding tubs are beautiful and, often, expensive central features in a large bathroom. Cleaning around them can be difficult because the surrounding spaces may be small and narrow. I doubt that they will ever be out of favor by those who can afford them. Sometimes their height makes them difficult to get into (or out of) for older folks, and they require a vast amount of water for a good deep soak....water costs a lot in California, maybe in other fairly dry states, too.

• Helen
    4 anni fa

@felizlady - The operative words - as you posted - are LARGE BATHROOMS. They are a lovely sculptural addition in a large bathroom where they are standing free. I would venture to say that such large bathrooms are generally cleaned by someone other than the owners :-).

The trend is now to have free standing bathtubs installed in small or normal sized bathrooms in the space where a "normal" tub would have been placed. In such circumstances, - at least to me - they look silly and are dysfunctional as well since they are difficult to clean around in a tight area.

• AJCN
    4 anni fa

"What do you think is the most comfortable/practical style bath tub for an adult size person (ie not for kids bathing)?"

I like my Kohler Underscore drop-in tub. Ours is 36" x 60," but it comes in other sizes. I'm 5'5" and DH is 5'9". The length is perfect bc we don't slip down. It has a nice slanted back with lumbar support. The decking is the same as our countertop. It's very deep and comfortable. I recommend that you get a hand-shower to mount on the deck in addition to the normal tub filler. It's great for rinsing your hair and for cleaning.

• RG Still
    3 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 3 anni fa

Having moved several times: previously had drop in tubs (loved them) - then a jacuzzi drop in tub (perfect!) -- and now a brand new house with a free-standing tub. ABSOLUTELY HATE IT! It's really pretty to look at, but if you like to soak in tub or read like I do, there are issues: 1. The drain plug in our new tub is in the very center of of tub and rides up into places that don't need to go...... enough said (who would have thought that this was something to note?) 2. although freestanding tubs are pretty to look at, most of the tubs have vertical sides (meaning you can't lean back in the tub and relax. It's sit up or nothing.) 3. Agree with others about having no place to put items. 4. I really miss the jacuzzi apart of the tub. So now I am having the 1 year old freestanding tub pulled out and deciding if there is a good enough freestanding option or just remodel and have tub dropped into walls (leaning towards that as it also solves the issue of places to put things and ease of entering and exiting tub.) Just my 2 cents worth. And I'm 58 and 5'8"

• Tara
    3 anni fa

A fad? Claw foot tubs were the original freestanding tubs. They're still "in" for the right house. Personally, I think claw foot tubs are terribly romantic. Practical - maybe not. But they conjure up simpler times when visiting my grandmother's house. Her claw foot tub looked huge to me - and I could practically swim in it (I was, like 8). But at my age, I can't get in and out of one. Heck, I can't get in and out of a drop in tub either. So I have a big standalone shower with a bench seat. To be young again!

• SirJohn
    3 anni fa

Nice to look at, but highly impractical. The depth can be nice if you are big into baths, but also makes them difficult to enter and exit. I think the best place for a modern one is in a large wet room. You can splash to your hearts content and just spray the whole area to clean it. All in all good if you have a ton on money and a ton of space, just a waster for typical middle class home.

Still a huge fan of the Kohler Expanse for the typical middle class bathroom, which is an alcove style. Super space efficient, great interior size, still on the lower side for step over height. It comes in models with built in heat, too if you want that extra luxury. Gets you that huge tub without taking up all the floor space.

• Dixie Burge
    3 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 3 anni fa

Why would I want to install and bathe in a granny tub? These so-called "sleek" and "romantic" throwbacks look so...so fuddy-duddy, like something my spinster great great aunt struggled to get in and out of at the turn of the last century. You might as well feel romantic about going back to hand washing your clothes, putting them through a wringer, hanging them out to dry and pulling out the old ironing board to get the wrinkles out...but I guess no one is THAT romantic. :-D

Where do you put your soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc? On the floor? It would end up being a clutter trap. The tub has to be cleaned not only on the inside, but around the sides, the back and underneath. Too labor intensive to keep clean, unless, of course, you're wealthy enough to afford a maid that keeps your house clean. Otherwise, why opt for things that require harder work these days when we all seem to have less free time?

It's odd that clawfoot tubs are considered a fashion statement, yet no one would DREAM of having a 1901 kitchen (unless appliance designers can manage to convince enough women that THAT'S romantic, too). These impractical relics from the corset and handlebar mustache era just seem out of place in a world of laptop computers, cellphones and stainless steel kitchen appliances. And having one is now considered an update? Go figure!

Spats and ragtime music, anyone?

• emg05
    3 anni fa

I had one, and I absolutely hated it!!!! They are hard to get into and out if, and there’s nowhere to put anything. Cleaning in and around one is a pain. I loved how it looked, but found it impractical. I Lolol s my drop in.

• tropikaldawl
    3 anni fa

I find it so hard to climb in and out of our built in bathtub

• mamadada
    3 anni fa

Is it built in with a ledge? If so you sit and swing your legs.

• tropikaldawl
    3 anni fa

The fixtures are then in the way

• tropikaldawl
    3 anni fa

I guess it depends how it is designed is my point. I’m here searching for ideas because we had a flood in our master and I would love to replace the tub if we can budget an extensive remodel to our master... otherwise we would just retire the existing tub and redo the rest of the bathroom without improving layout... but I am not a fan of our built in tub.

• Utente-400136735
    3 anni fa

I don’t know if it’s a fad, but it’s definitely a case of style over function. Traditional tubs are hard enough to get out of safely, and the taller freestanding tubs will be dangerous as one ages. My grandmother fell while trying to get out of a clawfoot tub and subsequently died of the injury. This is always in the back of my head and that is why as I am building a new house now, I am choosing a drop in tub. As I get older, I can sit on the surround and swing my legs to get in and out. You have to decide for yourself between trendy

and practical.

• jeanemery
    2 anni fa

I've never understood trends. I'm always function over form, and these seem very impractical. Besides that, I NEVER take baths. They're a total waste of time, a shower is much faster.

• Nan Kni
    l'anno scorso
    Ultima modifica: l'anno scorso

I plan on putting one into a wet room with a ceiling shower next to it, sharing a hand sprayer. A copper hammered one with no feet, so that it is not as tall to get into. Hammered so that is does not show dents as much. Shower pockets around it. A hand bar in front of it mounted to the floor. Our current built in tub is leaking over the living room ceiling with mold in the tiles. Looking to eliminate those issues with a free standing tub.

• Ruth House
    l'anno scorso

I had this tub in my previous house and miss it so much. Sure it’s somewhat impractical but I loved the way it looked and the amazing comfort. I need to renovate the bathroom here now and am torn about bath choice as well.

• relsa
    l'anno scorso

We are building our second modest custom home. This will be our third home with a grab bar on the tub wall. Now, in my 70’s, I cannot get out of the tub without it. From the pictures I have seen of freestanding tubs they are not close enough to a wall to put a bar. Cleaning around and in a huge, deep tub would be painful. They are a big NO for me.

• Kay p
    l'anno scorso

I love the look of them,but they are harder to get in and out of

• barncatz
    l'anno scorso

Interesting to see this thread revived. I didn't realize that four years ago people generally had a negative reaction to these tubs. I see them everywhere in new home and bathroom renovation threads and Houzz stories without much, if any, negative pushback. Occasionally on building plan threads someone will raise the cleaning issue.

I just searched photos of "medium" sized bathrooms on Houzz. Here are the screenshots of the first results - counted five freestanders:

• Robert Landis
    l'anno scorso

We‘re about to do a total bathroom renovation and there is a new built in tub already in place. After sitting in several stand alone tubs, we’ve decided to keep the built in and re do the area surrounding it. The stand alone tubs seemed difficult to get into and out of- some bordered on dangerous. We think w’d be much more likely to use the tub if we didn’t feel like we might slip and fall in it.

• Amanda Smith
    l'anno scorso

My personal opinion is that free-standing tubs are a design fad that should go.

• enajasereht
    l'anno scorso

After reading these comments I'm glad I didn't get a free standing tub.

• Stacy Styles
    l'anno scorso

Love all the comments in this thread over the years validating my thoughts. Redoing our master and removing jetted tub..(and stairs 😂) and also thinking I want a new drop in w/out stairs and updated, but scared I’m remodeling into an outdated design and will regret later. Used to have clawfoot and hated not having a place to put things and cleaning around it. We also have tons of space so not looking to save space.

• worthy
    l'anno scorso

Just got in and (barely) out of our free-standing without water in it.

What a horror show!

I've been putting these things in for 30 years without once using them. Just for looks and resale!

But mrs. worthy, a generation younger, swears by the built-ins with bubble air. I will have her test our current free-standing.

• chispa
    l'anno scorso

We are not tub users at all. If we really want to soak, we have a large 6 person heated jetted spa next to our pool ... but every house needs one tub, so that is the pretty free-standing tub in the master bath. We definitely installed it for looks and not function. Works for us and the way we use our house.

• Utente-942218028
    l'anno scorso

Stand alone tubs are a waste. If the home features less than 3500-4000 square feet, having a soaker tub, especially an over sized tub, double especially an over sized tub with jets-is a total waste of space and money. I'm 60, have worked brutally intense manual labor jobs, and my body is wracked with pain due to illness, neuropathy, and an adverse reaction to a TDap vaccine years ago, and even I think soaker tubs are entirely useless and a complete waste. Worse yet, once installed it takes a fairly intensive remodel to remove the tub and reallocate the space for something useful in an appealing and sensible fashion. If you think there may be some theraputic value to a soaker tub, you're better off getting a good pair of boots and taking long walks, buying some light weights and working out every day and getting on a good regimen of b, c, d vitamins, chromium picolinate, tumeric and a good balance of fresh herbs and seeds. I cringe, I recoil, I mutter reflexively whenever I see soaker tubs in residences.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".