Houzz Logo Print
alhambra_22

Flooring advice

Victoria
6 anni fa
I am wanting to have my kitchen tiled and wondered if any of the community members have any good advice to share that would help me with the project. I list some of the many questions in my mind:

Are all porcelain tiles are the same. For example do good tiles always have to be more expensive? Are ceramic tiles as hard wearing as porcelain? What is the market rate for tiling per square meter? What prep should you do on an underfloor heating concrete base prior to tiling?

Thank you in advance

Victoria

Commenti (9)

• Victoria
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thank you very much for all the helpful information. I really appreciate it.
  • PRO
    Anonymous
    6 anni fa
    You need insulation board between the concrete and the u/f heating mat otherwise you will be losing heat and energy by heating up the concrete. Hardie, No More Ply do good ones.
  • acew1234
    6 anni fa
    I'm looking into tiling a large area which will have UFH, looks like it's advised to have a decoupling matting between the screed and tiles.
  • PRO
    User
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Not sure i'm reading the above correctly, or if the other guys are describing how to make sure your concrete floor is laid on top of your under floor heating.

However, I believe that if your under floor heating is already laid, and you have your screed layer on top of it already, then you don't need more insulation, as it should already be under the screed. This article describes the layers:- Concrete floor with under-floor heating............. I'm no expert in this field, so I can only go on what i've experienced and seen for myself, or read about.

The way i read your problem, is that you already have underfloor heating and your floor is finished, therefore, you don't need anything else on it for tiles. Laminate yes, wood floor, yes, tiles no. You can't lay tiles on top of matting or any type of insulation, they have to be laid on the concrete or screed.

• PRO
    Anonymous
    6 anni fa
    Man about the house is right, sorry if i misunderstood. There should be insulation between the concrete floor and the heating mat, then a screed to cover the mat. The tiles are then laid on the screed.
  • acew1234
    6 anni fa
    The decoupling matting/membrane is placed on top of the screed and under tiles to prevent tiles cracking.
    https://www.tilefixdirect.com/category/decoupling-systems
  • PRO
    User
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Just been watching this video.................never heard of decoupling matting or uncoupling matting.............then found out as angelaew says it's predominantly used for preventing cracking. Never seen it anywhere, but then I gather it's used a lot where substrates may move, ie newly laid concrete which can contain moisture and you may be in a hurry to lay your ceramic floor, or commonly if you are trying to lay tiles on ply over the top of floorboards, as the floor could still have movement. Wood is always prone to expanding and contracting.

It's also used a lot in areas where waterproofing is required ie bathrooms and sometimes kitchens.

Youtube video on uncoupling membrane.

I've always used flexible adhesive and grout, but it's nice to learn about new stuff! Interesting.

See you can teach an old dog new tricks.

• PRO
    CMD Ceramics
    6 anni fa
    Hi Everyone,

It is not recommended to screed or self level over decoupling membranes as they are designed to move. The tiling should be direct to the membrane.

Here’s an image showing the easiest way to do it, hope it helps

If using piped underfloor heating you just prime the floor, lay the membrane and tile over the top as usual.

http://www.cmdceramics.com
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".