Houzz Logo Print
sally_minshew

microwave over the range or not?

Sally Minshew
6 anni fa

I personally don't want it over the range, but my partner will not consider the idea of placing it anywhere else, so I need proof that it can be just as functional in another area, like over the sink where there is a big empty spot just sitting there screaming for something.

Commenti (41)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

The benefit to NOT having a microwave over the range is that separate range hoods provide better ventilation, which is a plus for keeping grease build-up at bay or if you do a lot of cooking in general. If space is a consideration, you could always try a microwave drawer unit that goes under the counter. They're super convenient. Here are a couple of photos of what that looks like:

By the way, both of these show the micro drawer in an island, but it can certainly be placed in the perimeter cabinets, too.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Rawketgrl
    6 anni fa

The primary con of having a micro over range is they are typically is not as effective at venting. Most microwaves with integrated venting provide less CFM than modern kitchens require. Calculating adequate CFM for venting is important in kitchens.

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-calculate-kitchen-range-hood-fan-size/

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato Rawketgrl
  • auntthelma
    6 anni fa

I put mine over the stove. If I could do it over, I wouldn't. I'd rather have a pretty backslash and hood. But it works fine and it's off the counter. For us, it solved a problem We didn't have a good alternative

What is your alternative?

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato auntthelma
  • della70
    6 anni fa

Mine is over the stove and it's been nothing but a grease catcher and a trap for steam. When I boil water, the steam goes up the front of the door and turns into water! I have to wipe the microwave down as it drips all over the stove top. It has a vent, but it's not strong enough to do the job. Don't do it...

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato della70
  • KD
    6 anni fa

Why would anyone want to position the microwave so if you want to use it while using the stove, you have to reach over hot potentially steaming or splattering things? Microwave over range is unsafe and an amazingly stupid idea.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato KD
  • Sueb20
    6 anni fa

We have a drawer similar to the ones in the above pics — at our beach house. I love it. Wish we’d done the same at our “real” house.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato Sueb20
  • PRO
    Transforming Rooms
    6 anni fa

Agree with the comments above, it's better for function, for looks, etc if you can place it elsewhere.

Here's a room in which we moved the microwave, notice how much it changed the room? And it's a more"open" space for the homeowner to cook too!

• erinsean
    6 anni fa

We have our microwave over the stove and never wanted it any other place. Don't like to waste counter space by putting it on there. The only better place would be a shorter upper cabinet with a shelf that the microwave sits. on. I definitely would not want a range hood....just something else to clean, it would seem.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato erinsean
  • PRO
    CAD4interiors
    6 anni fa

I don't like the idea of microwaves over ranges or sinks. Microwave radiation can heat body skin the same way it heats food. Additionally, the lens of the eye is particularly sensitive to intense heat and exposure to high levels of microwaves can cause cataracts. That would be a great reason to find another useful spot for the microwave.

If you have enough space you can probably move it to an area that is far away from the most used areas of the kitchen (sink, range). Think of a place that is over the kitchen oven or next to the pantry area.

Take a look at this example of this beautiful kitchen we designed. You can see how far away the microwave was installed.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato CAD4interiors
  • della70
    6 anni fa

I've also found that on my 3rd microwave purchase in the last 25 years, they are much lighter and faster. And smaller! I don't need the biggest size, so less space is used.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato della70
  • Kathi Steele
    6 anni fa

I agree with all of the comments and because I am only 5'4" and I cook on my stove top, a lot, I don't want to reach over hot pots to spill hot contents on myself from the microwave. If you look hard enough, you can find space for it somewhere. I had my cabinet maker make me a removable counter top cabinet with a pull out shelf, for stirring microwave contents, and I love mine. I would never even consider a microwave over my range.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato Kathi Steele
  • shirlpp
    6 anni fa

I have mine in a microwave wall cabinet next to the refrigerator - might work for you, but please, not over the sink.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato shirlpp
  • Denita
    6 anni fa

Agree with the others - move the microwave away from the stove area to a place without all the traffic that the stove and sink create. Here are a few ideas for you to consider:

^This one is a whole beverage center :)

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato Denita
  • Chessie
    6 anni fa

Not. Find somewhere else for it. NOT over the sink, either.

MY BF has a OTR mw and I absolutely hate it. It gets all steamed up every time I boil anything on the stove, and water drips everywhere. I would never have that in my own house. On the counter or in a designated cabinet please.

• Gerry
    6 anni fa
    I’m 5’2” and have no problem with the over-range microwave. It doesn’t get any greasier on the bottom than my old hood so both get cleaned equally. I’ve never had steam from pots drip down the front and I’m a big soup and pasta cook. My son has an under-counter model and I found it more awkward to bend over to retrieve my hot water. An eye level one in a microwave cabinet would be best. Don’t put it over the sink.
  • jmm1837
    6 anni fa

Ah, microwaves. In our previous house, we had the bottom of one of the upper cabinets organized to take the MW - essentially, the bottom shelf of the cabinet became an open shelf for the microwave, with the rest of the cabinet and doors above it. Lower than an above-range MW, higher than the drawer ones, and not occupying counter space (we had a very small kitchen).

Our current house, we have it out of the way, on a counter in the
    walk-in pantry. Best location by far: no matter what anyone says, counter height is the best
    height for an MW.

• Claire Pope
    6 anni fa

I have mine in a walk-in pantry, its out of the way and we never use it except hubby warms his coffee

• Kathi Steele
    6 anni fa

I use my microwave every day. And I cook a lot. So I prefer mine counter top. I also like it away from the range so that people that are helping me cook are not underfoot.

It really is a matter of personal preference.

Gerry, how do you keep from spilling the microwave contents on yourself!! How can you see the food in the microwave as it is cooking?

• just_terrilynn
    6 anni fa

If you have an option to put it somewhere else I would. Aesthetically it's prettier.

In my last house I had no options but to put the micro above range as I had no counter or cabinets to spare. You can vent some micros where you don't have to settle for a recycling fan.

If you are stuck with that location don't despair. Statistically more people get injured taking items out of a regular under stovetop oven. Millions of burns a year. Injuries from OTR micros are rare. Those that have an OTR micro like the benefit of multi tasking all in one place.

In the house I'm in now I have a smaller countertop micro. I have miles of counters here and am an empty nester.

Do what works for you!

• tatts
    6 anni fa

It creates congestion at meal time, when everything is being cooked and accessed from the same spot.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 anni fa

I love my micro over the stove. I have the same set-up in two houses. I have never had a hood ( I do not know anyone who has one) and greatly dislike the look. I have never felt uncomfortable while removing things from it. I feel very uncomfortable when removing hot/steamy things from the oven.

When micros were first placed over the stove most people were in love with it. Now, for some reason, they are the enemy. You must do what you are comfortable with.

• djahlm
    6 anni fa

Amen, grapefruit1_ar and justterilynn; well said!

• erinsean
    6 anni fa

I too love the micro over the stove and what is cooking on the stove has no effect on the steaminess/wetness of the microwave. We use our microwave a lot and never have been uncomfortable taking things out or stirring things while cooking. But do as you are comfortable and that is convenient for you.

• Kathy Yata
    6 anni fa

I have had an OTR microhood since 1985. Great idea for a small space but it does reduce head room for pots on the stove and you have to lift warmed food further than if it is on the counter. If I could I'd definitely build in a shelf for one and would greatly prefer not to have it on the counter as I like my counters completely empty.

Remember the ranges with a small oven above the cook top? Same as having OTR MH over a stove/range really. I had one in an apartment, it was fine, suspect some people had different experiences with the things.

• Denita
    6 anni fa

A few more insp pics showing alternate locations for the microwave:

^Simple, easy and out of the way of the main cooking and cleaning areas
    ^Nice location next to fridge and easy landing area for both
    ^Personally I think this one is the right height and in a great location

• Chessie
    6 anni fa

I like the first one above. If it breaks and you have to get a new one, you have a more flexible space.

• Chessie
    6 anni fa

"When micros were first placed over the stove most people were in love with it. Now, for some reason, they are the enemy. "

LOL. I have lived in 3 different houses since leaving the apartment life in my 20's, and have not had a OTR mw in a single one.

• lhutch13
    6 anni fa
    Mine is OTR. I prefer it there. Out of the way, and I have never had a problem putting anything in or taking out. I have never had the real venting problem either. I wouldn't do anything else, but it's what your comfortable with.
  • Elizabeth B
    6 anni fa

Mine is over the range and I don't mind it at all. If you have a small kitchen deffinetly if your kitchen is large then sure place it in cabinet. I don't have the space for that

• jmm1837
    6 anni fa

Just as a point of interest, I live in Australia these days, and until I got into Houzz I had never even heard of an OTR microwave. I've certainly never seen one in this country (and I've haunted appliance stores and open houses for the last few years). I'm not even sure they're legal here.

So, Americans are obviously used to seeing OTRs and think they're perfectly normal and aesthetically okay, whereas someone who's not used to them at all has a lot of trouble getting her mind wrapped around both the basic concept and the actual look of the things.

I understand why in a very small kitchen an OTR might be an only option, but if there are any other alternatives, I'd personally take one of them.

• partim
    6 anni fa

I love my GE under cabinet microwave. It hangs from brackets under my cabinets, so, unlike microwave shelves, I don't lose any cabinet space. And unlike MWs sitting on the counter, I can open it even if there are things sitting on the counter in front of it, as you see in the picture. You can keep some things under it too.

A few months ago mine stopped working after 20+ years of heavy use, and I replaced it with today's version of exactly the same model. The height is perfect, and very safe if you are taking out a hot bowl of soup, for example. And no need to reach over boiling pots on the stove.

Maybe your partner doesn't want to lose counter space or cupboard space. This may be a good compromise since it takes advantage of completely unused kitchen space. It's easy to mount with brackets that screw into the bottom of the upper cupboard. You buy mounting kit separately from the microwave (Profile series 1.1 cu ft).

• Sally Minshew
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

the problem my partner has with putting it somewhere else is because it is big and he thinks the exhaust has got to go outside like the exhaust of a hood.

• partim
    6 anni fa

Microwaves don't have an external exhaust. Even the ones over the stove don't have an external exhaust. Go look at one in a store.

Sally Minshew ha ringraziato partim
  • Sally Minshew
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

o.k. thank you

• Anna S
    6 anni fa
    Mine's in an appliance garage at the end of my counter, so it is both countertop and invisible.

I was going to do an in drawer but read very bad reviews about the (only?) model available. I then considered one on an open shelf below the counter, but decided that the appliance garage worked better.
  • Chessie
    6 anni fa

the problem my partner has with putting it somewhere else is because it is big and he thinks the exhaust has got to go outside like the exhaust of a hood.

LOL!! Seriously??

• della70
    6 anni fa

What one wants and what one's choices are can be two different things...suggest you take him to an appliance store as has been suggested, and let an authorized dealer explain it to him. I had the same situation and spent hours researching the sizes of a new refrigerator to fit in our tiny kitchen. Explained to husband our limited choice and he could not understand why refrigerators were not the same size as they were in 1975! Did he spend any time researching this? NO!

• auntthelma
    6 anni fa

Microwaves have an exhaust fan ONLY when they are designed as the exhaust fan over the stove. The ones designed to sit on the counter do not have a fan. And if you get a built in one, make sure it is designed to be built in as it needs space above it.

• PRO
    Express Wholesale Cabinets
    6 anni fa

Microwaves over the stove usually have 2 options for ventilation.

Re-circulating & external link explains

https://www.hunker.com/12615251/recirculating-venting-vs-external-venting-in-a-microwave-oven

There are cons which others have already posted above.

Some clients have chosen this microwave over stove option for the following reasons:

Save $ by combining the cost of a microwave & vent.

Kitchen that already has the setup for it with the hole in exterior wall.

Smaller kitchens who prefer more counter space & cabinet storage instead.

Some people like microwave over

Depends also how often & what microwave is regularly being used for.

Put it where it is more user friendly to the users.

There are a lot of creative ideas out there & it's wise to consider them all in the beginning than an afterthought.

• ann2shop
    6 anni fa

We seldom have just one person prepping a meal, so much prefer separate microwave away from the cooktop. When we had OTR microwave, person tending something on a burner had to step out of the way so head wouldn’t get banged when other person opened the microwave door. Wall microwave works much better for household of tall people.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".