Houzz Logo Print
nchavda88

There's something missing!

nchavda88
6 anni fa
Please see photos for my hallway. We have gone for the modern contemporary look. But, theres something missing! It's not cosy at all. Looks rather bare and clinical.. :( Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Commenti (41)

• cranked_up
    6 anni fa
    The decoration is lovely but it just looks a bit empty at the moment. Try adding a nice big plant in a pot. Do you have room for a small console table or could you add a radiator cover to make a shelf to place a lamp and a few personal items?
  • A B
    6 anni fa

It's a shame the radiator is so long. We changed ours to a smaller one and put a narrow console over it. Can have flowers, keys (and a few Christmas bits) on there, plus the mirror above. I'd also put your door mat in the porch, and a rug in the hall way.

• nchavda88
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I know. I bought this shelf on the weekend to fit under the mirror. What do you think? I haven't drilled into the wall yet. It'll obviously be a lot higher!
  • nchavda88
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I thought about the radiator before I added it, was thinking the same but as we had a large hallway. We needed a radiator that big as it's the only one with the right heat output
  • A B
    6 anni fa
    Sh of looks great what a difference!
  • A B
    6 anni fa
    Shelf
  • Ronke Odepii
    6 anni fa
    it's quite bare actually. perhaps a potted plant in the corner? A minimalist console table too would be nice
  • nchavda88
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    As Jen pointed out, the radiator is too large to put a console table thats why I had to create a custom shelf
  • A S
    6 anni fa
    The shelf definitely makes a difference, a few photo frames or a vase flowers will add some colour.

Maybe add a floor runner...you could use colours from the neighbouring rooms or a bold statement one.
  • Daisy England
    6 anni fa
    I think some colourful wall art would take away the blandness.
  • Pauline cotton
    6 anni fa
    A colourful floor runner would make it look more inviting.
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

I would put the lights on a dimmer if possible and turn them down a little. Add an antique persian runner but choose one that contains the background colour of the stair carpet. Then perhaps add some handmade wall baskets for warmth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LARGE-TONGA-BINGA-WINNOWING-BASKETS-34-TO-49-CM-ZIMBABWE-HAND-MADE-TRIBAL-ART/162670368811?hash=item25dfe8d82b:g:Uw4AAOSwRaRZtv4u

• nchavda88
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Not quite Persian but how about this?
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 anni fa

I buy all of my rugs from ebay and Gumtree. There are some treasures out there.

• User
    6 anni fa
    You have created a great base there, the shelf you show is really nice and adds texture, put some personal treasures on, plant/s, rug with a little colour and pictures and you are there.

Well done looks great.
  • PRO
    Pearpod
    6 anni fa
    Love the shelf! Maybe some artwork and a big plant by the front door. A few hooks up high near by to hang coats. But also enjoy the clean simplicity of it as it is :)
  • Patrina
    6 anni fa
    Love that mirror and all that bright space perhaps a splash of colour? Doesn't have to be much
  • Kat
    6 anni fa
    What about some colourful artwork up the stairway wall?
  • nchavda88
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    What do you think for near the door?
  • nchavda88
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Caroline, you are amazing! Helps so much now I can visualise. This looks nice. I'll have to find the bits now! Let me know if you software designs anything else you think is better!
  • Carolina
    6 anni fa
    Glad you like it. The runner I’ve used is called Sloan and available at lots of places in the UK. But you’ll have to measure what size will look good in your hallway. You could use paper or tape to see what works best. Maybe a rug where the mat now is will be better.

I was just thinking that a black and white graphic pattern would go well. I’m sure you’ll find something you like. The shelf and some decorative items on that will make a big difference too.

And, I don’t know if someone already mentioned it, but you could hang art on the stairs wall
  • Carolina
    6 anni fa
    Private House for TY Design Studio · Maggiori informazioni
  • innovation999
    6 anni fa

Hi nchavda88,

is the shelf custom made or off the shelf, is so where and how long? I gave a similar set up in my halfway.

Even thinking about using a spare oak plank as a possible shelf. My rad is 1.70 long.

Thanks.

• Viv Bristow
    6 anni fa
    Great decor, nicely done. Just needs a few bits and bobs doesn't it. Like the others have said.... Radiator cover, or your shell works great, for picture frame, plant, a lamp etc. mirror above, floor runner, maybe even a nice umbrella stand in the corner!
  • Viv Bristow
    6 anni fa
    shelf
  • Danielle H
    6 anni fa

Sorry to jump on this, but can I ask where your flooring is from and the make/name? Thanks!

• nchavda88
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Sorry for the late reply. The shelf is actually an cutoff from a worktop we had left over. So, it's custom.

The laminate is branded kronotex robustus. Any questions do let me know. And, thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!!
  • Kate
    6 anni fa
    Curtains.
  • KK1000
    6 anni fa
    I like the shelf just add a rug and some art on the wall above the steps.
  • Catherine Guest
    6 anni fa

I do love this site but since I did a sleepout for a homeless charity last week I’m really questioning the time we spend on this stuff when people are sleeping on the streets. It’s makes it feel so much less important now

• A B
    6 anni fa

I have often considered this Catherine. There are atrocities going on around the world right now. Awful to think of. I do what I can, but I don't think that if we all stopped doing things we get pleasure from it would help those affected. But yes, very much worth considering, especially at this time of year :)

• PRO
    Pearpod
    6 anni fa

Catherine I often feel very similarly. To balance out a little I have just signed up to volunteer both on christmas day as well as continuing on throughout the year. I recommend it! Very rewarding xx

• Sonia
    6 anni fa
    I've found at times of trouble in my own life, this site is a good distraction. Of course in the great scheme of things it's all pretty trivial, but it is also great to sometimes help lift ones spirit. I donate to my food bank every week and also to some charities. Not everything in life is Disney and fairies but sometimes that is just what you need.
  • nchavda88
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Which do you think? Option 1? 2? Or neither?
  • Dundrum 16
    6 anni fa
    Neither! Both are too bland in my opinion.
  • User
    6 anni fa
    Hi, I also think wrong shape and orientation?

Looking back at the start their are lovely runner ideas which will fit the space better.

Great improvements so far, well done.
  • Carolina
    6 anni fa

Of those two, option 2.

• A S
    6 anni fa
    From the two shown I prefer the plainer option.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 anni fa
    I think most of this design is on point and works perfectly for the effect you want.

It just needs something to soften it and probably help with acoustics. I would go for a panel curtain on the door. White if you want to keep the clinical type look, but a warm grey would be lovely. Nothing ornate. It will do wonders and feel much more homely and inviting.

All the best, Gina
  • PRO
    Shimu Oriental Furniture
    6 anni fa

Radiator shelf makes a big difference. Artwork up the stairs and rug would definitely add a more personal, homely feel. It looks like there would be space for a narrow console against the stairs - would help to add a bit of warmth and contrast with the beige / cream / natural colours.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".