Houzz Logo Print
dafox2011

Open Floor Plan So Many Options

Denver Fox
6 anni fa

Thanks for helping. We have a nice completely open first floor. However the flooring is original to the house. I tried doing a panorama shot to get it all but also drew it out in case it doesn't turn out. We have selected these very nice Bella hardwood floors to put throughout the space. We have small kids and durability is a concern. Please take the poll below to help us narrow down which flooring/tiling design is best suited for our space. Any help is appreciated.

Option 1: Wood floor throughout except tile in the kitchen and bath
Option 2: Wood floor throughout except tile in entry, kitchen, and bath

Commenti (13)

• Christy Wallenhorst
    6 anni fa

I agree with running hardwood into the kitchen & entryway. We just did a remodel with an open concept and thought about tiling the entry but were persuaded not to and I agree. There was no need to "break it up" with flooring.

• lhutch13
    6 anni fa

What's wrong with your present hardwood floor? Your house doesn't look that old.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 anni fa

There is no hardwood in the LR as far as I can see. IMO since the bathroom seems to be a powder roomI would do tile there and everywhere else hardwood , yes even in the kitchen

• Denver Fox
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    The builder or previous owners threw three different color floors in. We have a light oak engineered in bathroom, original oak hardwood in entry that was destroyed by previous owner, and a golden engineered that is buckling in the kitchen. All that combined with very cheap carpet that was new three years ago and needs replaced
  • Linda keys
    6 anni fa

Note- With the kids and hardwood floors and open floor plan, you need lots of fabric,rugs etc. to soak up noise. hard wood in entry, kitchen, dinning and carpet in living room( or in living area.) fun fun.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 anni fa

I do like tile in an entry so I voted for #2, but actually I would do the kitchen wood. There are really attractive ways to combine tile and wood and I find tile so much more relaxing in our entries. Not having to worry about checking wood floors every time the kids or dog run in is important to me. We do live in a very wet climate so that factors into my preference.

• marcjennyd
    6 anni fa

Hardwood entirely! Your plan is very open. Changing the floors will make it choppy. The kitchen would look much better in hardwood as well. The continuity of flooring would also make your space look bigger. Tile in the entry would be a big no, no!!! If you are concerned about moisture, place a pretty area rug over the hardwood there to protect it. Your new flooring is going to make you smile. :)

• PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    6 anni fa

If you are concerned about wear and tear having tile in the entryway, kitchen & bath should help. Another alternative is to go with wood-look tile floors and add heat below to warm it up when its cold.

• PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Hardwood everywhere!

But if you feel better having tile in the kitchen, that is ok too.

J Design Group
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://
    www.JDesignGroup.com

• Denver Fox
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thanks everyone. We are ordering hardwood throughout today with a travertine in the small powder room. Having two little kids and no mudroom is nerve wrecking for new hardwood but we will use rugs and runners to protect. I also figure if the floor gets ruined it’s easier in the future to add tile then try to match the flooring. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Shannon & Waterman Custom Wide Plank Floors
    6 anni fa

I'd say hardwood everywhere. It's always tough to do that many transitions in my eyes. At that scale, I don't see using the other materials really saving you anything.

Shannon & Waterman Custom Wide Plank Flooring

Memphis, TN 38104

shannonwaterman.com

• quirkycabin
    6 anni fa

We purchased our cabin several years ago. Two different colors of inexpensive flooring were installed in the open space and it looks awful. Luckily my husband was the inheritator of a spectacular 17 x 12 oriental rug in red which happens to look perfect in our open concept room. I also have red couches which could be over powering, however because I am into the Shabbay chic look I use white matlasse coverlets on the couches. It tones down the red gives us just the right amount of color for our lovely little cabin. I'm not into the latest trends...just decorate for the pleasure of my spouse and myself.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".