Houzz Logo Print
taylor_brown21

Brick fireplace redo?

Taylor Brown
6 anni fa

I have a floor to ceiling brick fireplace with attached brick bench seating. I believe the intention was to use the same brick at the exterior of the home, but it appears someone may have darkened it to dull the orange a bit.

I love the idea of keeping the brick because the rest of the house is so modern and contemporary, but it's just too dark and heavy. I AM going to keep the wood beam mantle because it matches some exposed beams elsewhere in the house (you can see one in the picture).

So far I have been hesitant to paint or whitewash it because that's a pretty permanent option and I haven't felt confident to pull the trigger. Any other ideas?

Commenti (12)

• BobbieH
    6 anni fa

Have you seen the Romabio lime paint? Check them out on facebook!

• Taylor Brown
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks kjoy! I really like the brick as well, I'm just a little iffy on the color of it. In person it's quite dark. Just wondering if there are some minor ways to brighten it up a bit

• nicolediane
    6 anni fa

I think if you lightened just the grout it would look lighter.

• Taylor Brown
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

2014diane I wondered about that! it is an unattractive dark beige color. Any idea how to lighten the grout?

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 anni fa

I love your brick personally. Your room looks amazing. Try cleaning the brick, or swapping out the grill for something in a lighter metallic. That may help with the darkness. Lightening the grout or a very light whitewash are always options too.

• PRO
    Caprock Hardscape Supply
    6 anni fa

We LOVE brick but you have some options. The wood beam would go well with a lot of different things. This is one example of a fireplace we supplied with Austin White Stone Sawn along with an outdoor fireplace using Oklahoma Multicolored Natural Stone (Flagstone) which has tons of color but also goes well with a lot of different color schemes.

• BobbieH
    6 anni fa

Romabio lime paint! You can wash off what you don't want. So paint the grout, leave the brick. If you dont like it, it's removable for a number of days. They sell it online at home depot. I did my fireplace!

• Mstein009
    6 anni fa
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polyblend-333-Alabaster-8-fl-oz-Grout-Renew-Colorant-GCL333HPT/205299499?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D23-Tile|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi8iM_7ah1wIVD5l-Ch2YGwa0EAQYASABEgJ6aPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJf92IG3odcCFRFiAQodwHcFxg
    I used this grout colorant sealer on floors with great results
  • PRO
    Sustainable Materials
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Check out our Muratto Cork Bricks. They are perfect for applications where you are wanting the look of brick but appreciate the sound absorption and warmth of cork.

www.sustainablematerials.com

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    6 anni fa
    Don't you love Bobbie h picture paint it I painted my oak fireplace and I'm not sorry
  • Susan Davis
    6 anni fa

I think I would paint the mantle first and then see if white paint would work.......but paint on the brick would look nice and you could add artwork over the mantle.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".