Insane and gorgeous custom home!

Milly Rey
6 anni fa

The kitchen floor, with a mosaic made of 20k pieces of wood:

Link: http://www.willhoitenterprises.com/AfricanQueen.html

Commenti (57)

• Jamie
    6 anni fa

I kind of like this place ... I think I could live there. I don't think I'd keep a lot of the furniture and decorative items though haha

• DLM2000-GW
    6 anni fa

The grounds are spectacular. Everything else I can happily live without.

• K Laurence
    6 anni fa

Looks like a theme park.

• just_janni
    6 anni fa

DLM2000 - thought the same thing - the house itself could have been a truly spectacular calm / serene place a la Fallingwater had it been "redone" differently. The exterior shows all that potential.

• chicagoans
    6 anni fa

I thought "theme park" too -- except a really sad one where killing animals is celebrated. The tusks, cheetah hide chair, and so many things just make me sad.

Love the grounds, not the inside. And the website is awful! Red text on a black background? Spend a few dollars to hire someone to do it professionally.

• bry911
    6 anni fa

Personally, I think this house suffers from the same problem that too many houses do today.

That looks cool, it will be great to live there.

The problem being, just because the first thing is true, doesn't mean the second thing is.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Proof--yet again--that money, good taste and common sense often seem to be opposites...

I have to agree with Millie: insane--you betcha!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 anni fa

A lovely property indeed! Beautiful design inside and out! I'd love to live there......but it's way out of my budget. Lol

• rockypointdog
    6 anni fa

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. I'll bet it's a blast to hang out with the owners of that house! I'm sure they always have a great anecdote to share.

• User
    6 anni fa

Insane. Yes. Gorgeous?

• Milly Rey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Lol. I'm happy to appreciate anything, however outrageous, accomplished well.

I have no moral reservations about stuffed animals, but I don't want one in my house!!!! I visited a Georgian plantation that had a conservatory with all the heads from all the fox hunts. I don't think of myself as squeamish, but I had a visceral "AHHHHHHHH!" reaction. Dozens of beady glass eyes looking down at you....

The homeowner seems like the poster child for a successful person with untreated ADHD.

• User
    6 anni fa

Looks like it belongs as the adjunct manor house to the Bass Pro Shop at the Pyramid. http://www.memphistravel.com/trip-ideas/bass-pro-pyramid-memphis

• Milly Rey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Lol! It does!

My dad always stops at the Bass Pro Shop when he travels through TN.

• beth09
    6 anni fa

Is it just me, or does anybody else look at that and think, Imagine what they could have done with all that money? Think charity....

• Milly Rey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

They're major supporters of their local zoo.

Not really, honestly, because you can say that about any house.

• cpartist
    6 anni fa

To each his own

• mark_rachel
    6 anni fa

I could totally vacation in that house, but live there....no. I commend them for not following trends & having their own style though.

• rockybird
    6 anni fa

Ugh. I am not a fan of this house. Claustrophobic and too many patterns. The dead animals are awful.

• htwo82
    6 anni fa

This is a local property and I can tell you the pictures don't do it justice. The property and setting are truly unique and stunning. Talk about true dedication to a process - this is it. They had a vision and spent 10 years making it come to life.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 anni fa

Well I enjoyed watching the video and I liked the music! But I can't help but think of conspicuous consumption as others have alluded to.

It is inconceivable to me that someone would/could spend that much $$$$$ on a home and then agree to a video link that BRAGS about how much certain items cost.

• beth09
    6 anni fa

It is inconceivable to me that someone would/could spend that much $$$$$ on a home and then agree to a video link that BRAGS about how much certain items cost.

This.

Milly, uh, no, you cannot say this about any house.

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

I can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into things like that floor. That must have been a really exciting commission for that wood floor artist. Because that is artistry. And I'm a tad jealous of anyone working with a client who obviously said, "money is no object". But, I think it would be the equivalent of working for a cigarette company to me. Or, on the Death Star. (Clerks) No matter how potentially great the project is, there are just some jobs that you don't want to be known to be involved with the end results.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 anni fa

Bass Pro Shops started in Springfield! It was in a ratty strip mall, and quite small. My late father adored the place. My parents moved to Springfield to retire, after I was grown.

I know Springfield quite well and am amazed that anyone there could afford a house like this. There ARE wealthy people in Springfield, but one can still buy a lovely home there for well under $1 million dollars - often under $500,000 - even $300,000. In fact, there are really not that many $1 million+ houses in Springfield at all.

Did you notice that this is a TWO BEDROOM HOUSE? Yikes! Maybe Brad Pitt can buy it as a retreat - he's from Springfield.

The outside and the setting are just lovely - beautifully sited house. But the inside? Well, let's just say someone got a bit "carried away" with their decorating. Bi-polar in their manic phase?

• K Laurence
    6 anni fa

It’s very “taste specific “ to say the least! Owners of a house a few blocks away from mine remodeled & decorated their very nice home in a very pricey neighborhood in a style that could best be described as medieval complete with life sized Knight in armor... they spent over $2 million “upgrading” ... needless to say their house was basically unsellable after they put in on the market.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 anni fa

Unusual houses are not built for normal souls. They need special individuals to treasure........everyone has a book in life, everyone has their own to keep, to love. If the house is not meant to be yours, you shall not hate it. It's not good for your health. :-)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 anni fa

I just got these links from a friend in Springfield. I had no idea this was not out in the country - really not far from where my parents lived. But then, Springfield is still a pretty small city.

http://www.417mag.com/417-Magazine/September-2015/Meeting-the-African-Queen/

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2016/01/15/african-queen-pokin-around-michael-willhoit/78803116/

He's known to be a bit of a wheeler/dealer in Springfield. He has no where near the money in this house that he's asking. My friend said that most people think he's not really trying to sell the house, just get publicity for himself and his used/restored exotic car dealership.

• Milly Rey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Anglo, THAT makes way more sense.

• Mrs Pete
    6 anni fa

Love that alligator floor. If this were a vacation rental house, it'd be fun -- in a creepy kind of way -- but to live there? No, after the first few weeks it'd get old fast.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 anni fa

He might have a degree in marketing, a smart business man! :-)

• kudzu9
    6 anni fa

beckysharp-

I love the eBay terms:

Shipping: Ask seller

Returns: Not accepted

• worthy
    6 anni fa

Proving you can have too much of a good thing!

Hopefully, someday all those artifacts will find loving homes somewhere.

(Love those floors from Archetypical Gallery.)

• Nicole
    6 anni fa

Honestly, I find that house depressing and hideous. Much more than any house I've ever seen and that includes the house and land my husband bought at auction for $10k with a room painted with airbrushed flames.

• geoffrey_b
    6 anni fa

Ostentatious, screams Bling / four neck chains / over sized rolex / gold bracelets / plaid sport coat / just horrible.

• Milly Rey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I could happily, happily live in this house. Not with the furniture though: http://www.archetypalgallery.com/wood-floor-of-the-year-2015/

Not loving the stair rails. But the rest is amazing.

• zorroslw1
    6 anni fa

I stopped looking after I saw the "dead monkey".

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 anni fa

Boo, happy Halloween! :-)

There is no monkey......can't find it.

• kudzu9
    6 anni fa

Keep looking...it’s somewhere in the jungle. Or maybe you saw it and thought it was a live monkey.

• Milly Rey
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

There are two stuffed animals in the "bluff room."

Whole house would be fabulous to vacation in except for that!!!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 anni fa

This house should be photographed, boarded up, and publicized around the world as to how lots of money does not a good house make. You're welcome.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 anni fa

Oh, thanks. Found it! I was looking through ebay photos......it looks like the ones at my science museum, the taxidermy artist(s) created a great sculpture to capture the emotion, it looks so real....... I wouldn't want lion & monkey in the house either. The doors with 2 iron bear heads are so cool, I have to find a wooden one next time I visit ADK.....maybe TJmaxx has it. ;-)

• Michael Lamb
    6 anni fa

The problem with this house is that you would feel like you have to leave everything in there as it is, otherwise it would be like going into a museum and moving things around. Then where will you put the stuff that you bring with you when you move in? The house would never feel like it was yours, so it couldn't work as a primary residence. Would make a very nice second home or Air BnB rental though.

• CurryUp
    6 anni fa

I like it, the outdoor theme is beautiful and tropicalesque , looks exotic although in a upscale Disneyish escape fantasy theme.

That door to the house reminded me of the entrance to the Mines of Moria in Lord off the rings, you just feel there's something sinister lurking in that exotic forest and the animal themed toilet is too cheesy for words. If they have a weekend special rate , I won't complain :)

• kudzu9
    6 anni fa

My test is whether I would be comfortable having friends over for dinner. And my conclusion is that I'd be embarassed, to say the least....

• dbrad
    6 anni fa

Ha! That kitchen photo looks straight out of the flintstones.

• ledmond10
    6 anni fa

I could tour that place for maybe an hour before fleeing. Could not sleep there. Also the web designer needs a talking to-- red text on black background? WTH? But I think the lion toilet is really something!

• artemis_ma
    6 anni fa

Amusing. I'd visit. And at the very least, it isn't Depression GRAY. But, no, I'd not take it home.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 anni fa

Here's another wild and crazy house. Take you pick! I pick this one...

• bluesanne
    6 anni fa

Well, that's 5 minutes and 52 seconds of my life I'll never get back... Personally, I think whoever financed and put this house together should donate themselves to support wildlife.

• PRO
    Stash Home
    6 anni fa

Imagine install day(s).....

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".