Houzz Logo Print
joseph_fadel

Historic Home Impact Window Replacement

Joseph Fadel
6 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

I am trying to decide on impact windows for historic Mediterranean Revival home in Coral Gables, Fl. Right now I have original casement windows from 1925 but given my interest in reselling property I will be replacing with impact casement windows. It seems most metal clad wooden windows are pricier than aluminum windows. Have been considering CGI Estate line but have also looked at Loewen for arched casement windows and door. Any recommendations and feedback would be appreciated. Once real estate market improves I plan on reselling home.

Commenti (9)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Anything you do to damage the historicity of an older home like that will likely have a negative impact on what you can expect to get for it.

• bpath
    6 anni fa

Is it possible to restore the windows with impact glass, keeping the frame? Our town promotes restoration over replacement for historic (or just old) homes when possible, but we don't do impact-resistant glass here.

Joseph Fadel ha ringraziato bpath
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Alas, no, pbathome. Impact windows are not just about the glass but the frames are attached to the walls in a much more secure manner than conventional windows. Unfortunately there is no way to make impact windows look like they've been there all along because of that.

In Miami-Dade County, Joseph would have to go to impact if he replaces any windows, unless there's some kind of historical CRA for the Gables, but I don't think there is.

It's a dilemma for people who live in historic districts in S FL: the county says only impact and sometimes the local historical rules say only like with like. It can be an awful mess trying to sort it out all out.

• cpartist
    6 anni fa

If you replace the historic windows instead of having them renovated, it will negatively impact the resale price you'll get for the home. Anyone who wants a historic home, wants it with original windows, etc. Don't ruin it by putting in crappy replacement windows that won't last. The original windows have lasted this long which should tell you something.

• cpartist
    6 anni fa

Is it possible to restore the windows with impact glass, keeping the frame? Our town promotes restoration over replacement for historic (or just old) homes when possible, but we don't do impact-resistant glass here.

No you can't restore with impact glass because impact windows are made from the outer frame in. They will never look right either.

• H202
    6 anni fa

Disagree with above comments. Impact windows add a lot of value to homes in SW florida for resale purposes. But you want to make sure you replace all of them -- not just some -- so that buyers can be assured that they will get the insurance discount. We were in a house in coral gables in the italian historic village (near CG high -- i'm assuming near your house), and without impact windows, our hurricane insurance was $17,000 a year. It went down to $10,000 with all impact windows. This is a question that EVERYONE asks about when you go to sell your house. Impact windows and date of roof. It's HUGE for resale purposes.

I'd also argue that houses in historic areas in Coral gables and the grove are actually considered more aesthetically pleasing *with* the impact windows. It's considered a marker of a house that has been fully renovated. This is different than, say, washington DC (where i also lived) where aluminum new windows from the 90s are considered the sign of a cheaply done flip 20 years ago. Conversely, the thick border that is a give away of impact windows in florida is a sign of a good renovation. I have never heard of anyone in SW florida being particularly concerned with maintaining the historic elements of the old houses. They like the appearance of the old houses, but want the updates of new houses. This is also different than DC, where people tried to maintain the old features.

Joseph Fadel ha ringraziato H202
  • PRO
    Evolution Hurricane Shutters, LLC
    6 anni fa

Joseph,

Trying to retro-fit the windows with impact glass will be a benefit, but it is a no-no to pass code and would be a waste of money. You will still need to shutter them to satisfy the county and your insurance company.

As long as you replace your old windows with quality, aluminum framed impact units, you might manage to preserve some of the resale value. You will unfortunately lose the original historic look and value. Using PVC windows will most certainly devalue the home because a savvy buyer will know that the PVC impact windows will need to be replaced in 20 years and will use that against you during negotiations. The closer the windows are to being 20 years old the less they are worth. It's like a car dealer selling a used car with 80,000 miles knowing that it has a track record of conking out at 100,00 miles. You certainly wouldn't pay top dollar for it.

On the historical side, you would probably be better off sticking with replicated or refurbished windows plus approved shutters. IMHO

• ljbwilk
    6 anni fa

When we were in the process of selling our 1870s home, we brought in various contractors to look at windows, replace rotting frames, etc. And every single one commented that the original windows were in far better shape than the newer ones. Isn't that remarkable? 130+ years old and still better than the ones added decades later...

Just saying. They don't make them like they used to.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".