Houzz Logo Print
treubig9

Converting detached Garage into Studio in Union City , NJ

treubig9
6 anni fa

Hi. We have a home with a detached garage that we want to convert into a studio. The home is a 2 family, and we would like to have the studio as part of the first floor unit. Would we need the detached garage to somehow be attached to the house? or can we just convert and have it as a detached bonus room for first floor unit?

Commenti (3)

• geoffrey_b
    6 anni fa

You home has frost footings, I imagine your garage does not - it's a slab. You cannot connect these two buildings. Additionally, the garage probably would not come up to code to get a certificate of occupancy. Forget your idea.

• mazelady
    6 anni fa

I have a detached garage that I remodeled the top room into a studio. See my post 'leaning garage'. I have a slab foundation for the garage and pier and beam for the house. In Texas my living space in the garage could not be more than 25% of the square footage of my house. I'm at the max now otherwise I might finish the downstairs area.

• PRO
    MarketPlace Designs
    6 anni fa

If you've not done so already, consult with Union City (city hall/zoning offc) for requirements. There are usually strict compliance issues with living spaces.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".