Houzz Logo Print
jill7256

Black worktops?

jill7256
6 anni fa

I'm considering black worktops. Anybody have a prediction when they're going to look dated? I keep thinking white or greige would be safer, and it is a big investment that needs to last a long time. But I do love the black.

Commenti (13)

• PRO
    MERRICK DESIGNS
    6 anni fa

No predictions but from practical point of view I find black worktop never seen to look clean, they also absorb light and therefore can darken the kitchen. Of course this totally depends on what else is going into the kitchen.

• Jonathan
    6 anni fa
    I think the trend has already moved bed to lighter worktop
  • mcpeeple
    6 anni fa
    I agree with Jonathan - obviously get the worktop you love etc, but in terms of trends, i think that black is over
  • A B
    6 anni fa
    I would say lighter work tops are fashionable now so will date more quickly. Black work tops aren't height of fashion but can still work fine in the right kitchen (and possibly less likely to date badly). Wood work tops are timeless imo although I guess the type of wood will date. Go with what you love now :)
  • A B
    6 anni fa
    Also I think any style takes at the very least 10 years to look out of date, so really I wouldn't worry about it too much..
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 anni fa

The tone of the worktop is a big issue when it comes to reflecting light, much more so than unit colour. Unless the kitchen is drenched with natural light I would avoid black. Slate, concrete or grey but maybe not pure black.

• A S
    6 anni fa
    I'd go for what you love. Our previous kitchen was a shaker style oak with black tops with white/natural flecks; it wasn't in-line with current kitchen trends but it certainly didn't look dated. As for the black tops absorbing the light, I felt our kitchen didn't feel overpowered and dark- obviously this would depend on the amount of natural light received, use of artificial light, wall colour and the size of the space.

To answer your question, for some it may be dated, but this will be your space so I'd go for what you like...
  • Angie
    6 anni fa
    We have black worktop which was in the house when we bought it. Looks fine and no issues with light. It shows up where sieved flour or icing sugar land a good distance from the bowl! Makes one clean thoroughly!
  • PRO
    Alwood
    6 anni fa

Hi Jill,

Black never dates, we have been installing black granite and Corian worktops for years and their design is timeless.

You do not need to go for a solid black colour, instead choose an option such as Milky Way by Corian. This allows you to have beautiful grey and white tones running through your kitchen.

http://www.corian.com/-colors-of-corian-r-

Hope this helps

Alfred

• jill7256
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

Hi Jill, check out our portfolio on Houzz( we've got there some of black worktops) or our web www.designerstone.co.uk

If You want i can give You a quote for worktop, as well I'd like to send You some samples,

write me back at peter@designerstone.co.uk

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".