Houzz Logo Print
kl55hp

Help pls - Option A or B? (dining table)

kl55hp
6 anni fa

Commenti (26)

• kl55hp
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Background - I have a serious case of 'decision fatigue'; we have had builders in since April.

Option A has turned legs and a shapely table top.

Option B has more tapered legs and a ‘New England’ table top.

Is Option B too “safe”? Is Option A too “country”? Am I over-thinking this?

It’s a big open plan room. I will try to post pics of furniture in a minute .

What do you think?

• kl55hp
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

• kl55hp
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

• kl55hp
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

The tables extending in such a way that their legs are always at the corner of the table. Hence they're quite expensive and hence why I'm trying to avoid "buyer's regret".

All thoughts welcome.

• Mulchie
    6 anni fa
    B
    kl55hp ha ringraziato Mulchie
  • rachelmidlands
    6 anni fa
    B
    kl55hp ha ringraziato rachelmidlands
  • Nate218
    6 anni fa
    definitely B
    kl55hp ha ringraziato Nate218
  • PRO
    MERRICK DESIGNS
    6 anni fa

B for sure

kl55hp ha ringraziato MERRICK DESIGNS
  • A S
    6 anni fa
    B
    kl55hp ha ringraziato A S
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 anni fa

B

kl55hp ha ringraziato Juliet Docherty
  • Daisy England
    6 anni fa
    B
    kl55hp ha ringraziato Daisy England
  • User
    6 anni fa
    b
    kl55hp ha ringraziato User
  • User
    6 anni fa

B

• PRO
    Julie Sinclair Interiors
    6 anni fa
    B for me
    kl55hp ha ringraziato Julie Sinclair Interiors
  • kl55hp
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks everyone who has offered their view. It is pretty clear that Option B is the people's choice!

I'm surprised that there was so little support for Option A. I guess people do think it's too country kitchen.

My only residual concern is that a few people in RL (real life) have said that we should go for Option B AND change lose the chairs. The reason being "they don't go with the contemporary styling". Problem is that I'm not aiming for a contemporary styling. Rather a classic timeless, slightly reclaimed/vintage look. Oh dear. Not sure it's working!

• PRO
    MERRICK DESIGNS
    6 anni fa

When I looked at just the chair/ tables visual I wasn't sure which I preferred. Then I saw ur boards and immediately B looks correct. I think ur combination works very well. Have u shown those in RL ur boards? Besides with all interior design u will have conflicting likes/dislikes .. U should go with ur own gut choices if u like it. Those RL'ers won't be living in your home everyday

kl55hp ha ringraziato MERRICK DESIGNS
  • PRO
    London Dream Building
    6 anni fa

considering the rest of the furnitures - definitely B.

Good luck with tough choice :)

kl55hp ha ringraziato London Dream Building
  • kl55hp
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@Carolina interestingly - yes - we did consider the Calia and similar tables at other companies. We liked it a lot. At one point I was also thinking along these style lines for a breakfast bar, and /or the children's desks. But we chickened out on the table (and the other things too). We weren't sure we could make it work (e.g. we thought it pushed us in to very different chairs) and we were also worried that it wasn't sufficiently timeless for our needs (i.e. we would tire of it before we could afford another big outlay for an extending table).

I thought we might be more successful choosing things like pared back industrial or Skandi, or more distressed/vintage in lamps, and side tables. I'm still hoping that will be the case. But each time I make a decision, I seem to choose 'safe' and in favour of the colours; rather than style. Truth be told, I like lots of styles so I'm worried that I'll end up with 'awful eclectic'. Choosing colours and safe seems a bit easier. But I have a feeling it might be going to end up 'co-ordinated bland'.

Only the children seem to be able to inject a bit of shazam (the coloured chairs in the Eames/eiffel style around their desk were their idea). But if I give them too much free rein, they'll turn the room into Smiggle.

What I would really like to achieve is a green & grey palette with accents of teal/jade/ and a few pops of sky blue/mint green/ chartreuse). I'd like it to feel layered but not cluttered. I'd like the expensive purchases and the base/background to be timeless and like updated classics (e.g. G plan sofas; shaker kitchen in modern colours). And then I'd like to play with some of the current style trends in the accents and layers. It feels like I am still copping out and playing safe - but maybe I'm still sorting out the basics which I would like to be safe and timeless. I'm not feeling confident; it's the fatigue of so many decisions and the usual unexpected issues cropping up during the building process.

Thanks so much for your suggestion and encouragement to aim for something a little different, at least somehow.

@comegetme Thanks very much for your clear advice and encouragement too.

• User
    6 anni fa
    Have u thought about looking for something second hand on gumtree or ebay? You may get something more inline with your rustic taste, without being a little too sort of old fashioned like table A. I too love the country rustic style...and have picked up some great prices on gumtree. Or alternatively look too see if you have any reclaimed furniture shops near you, these often have gorgeous items which have been restored perfectly ready for use.
  • User
    6 anni fa
    I'm not sure where u are in the country but here's a few gorgeous reclaimed tables on ebay
  • Carolina
    6 anni fa

@kl55hp: Don't get me wrong, I think that option B is a lovely table that works really well with your other choices. But because you are doubting your choice, I wanted to show you another option.

kl55hp ha ringraziato Carolina
  • PRO
    Faber Architecture
    6 anni fa

Option B. The chairs you have chosen are simple and elegant along with the table.

The Option A table appears fussy and at odds with the chairs.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Faber Architecture

kl55hp ha ringraziato Faber Architecture
  • kl55hp
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

@ gerty werty funnily enough I have pored over eBay and Gumtree. It's tricky to be sure of the shade when you can only see on-line. It is also tricky to find an extending split frame (180 to 210-250 (l)). But you're right there are lots of gorgeous looking tables available. I thought it was going to be easy!

• kl55hp
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, advice and encouragement. I found it all very helpful.

We have now ordered the "people's choice": Option B.

Fingers crossed and it looks great and we love it for years! Probably 8-12 weeks until it is delivered and put in place.

• Lisa Burdett
    6 anni fa
    Option B is a good choice and don't worry it's so classic you won't tire of it.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".