Houzz Logo Print
bebeblubelle

Handle-less or Handles?????

bebeblubelle
6 anni fa

Very keen on having a complete change and going simple handle-less matt white run of base 3 drawer units on one wall, no wall units and white worktop.

Burrows Road Glazed Envelope · Maggiori informazioni

My quandary is this... are the handle-less type going to drive me nuts with trying to open and breaking nails etc as the groove appears quite shallow. Or shall I go for a flat matt white look and get nice wood or mid century looking handles??

Commenti (20)

• A S
    6 anni fa
    I opted for a handle-less but in hindsight, slim profile handles would have been better... They are minimalistic and still provide the clean look but allow you to open drawers/cupboards easily.
    bebeblubelle ha ringraziato A S
  • mayfly182
    6 anni fa

You can try the handle less type in any kitchen showroom. I've always found them quite easy to use but then I don't have very long nails. They tend to be a good deal more expensive though.

bebeblubelle ha ringraziato mayfly182
  • bebeblubelle
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks mayfly, I don't have longs nails either! Have only tried Ikea and Wren handle-less in person. I live on an island so no real opportunity to get to any showrooms hence the post :-(

• Rose Williams
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

I set out for handleless, however I have an extreme amount of drawers (in some peoples opinion) in my kitchen and they needed to have handles (very minimal ones) otherwise they wouldnt work with the soft close. I really like the clean modular look of the units ... The ONLY thing that can be a mare about the handle less cupboards is that the dog and 2 cats have all figured out how to open them!
    You won't break nails, in fact less chance of that as all you have to do is nudge the doors.... however, this means physical contact with the fronts, so there is the aspect of keeping them clean.
    Oh... and with the choice of suppliers you have....
    higher cost isnt necessarily better quality or value,.... all I have to say about that subject...

bebeblubelle ha ringraziato Rose Williams
  • Daisy England
    6 anni fa
    Handleless do work with soft close. What makes you think they don't?
  • Jonathan
    6 anni fa
    In the lower price range most of the handleless doors have a J Shaped top. There are other handleless systems that have a normal door but a finger groove behind and mounted to the cabinet. In my opinion this gives a bit more finger room but is usually found at a higher price point.
    Some people have a handleless door but put a handle on some of the heavier doors such as the integrated fridge.
    bebeblubelle ha ringraziato Jonathan
  • Lisa HE
    6 anni fa
    We've just put in white handle-less soft close with almost all drawers - excuse mess on worktop here but you can see we have a run of 3 double drawers below our hob. Plus white worktop. More drawers on the island. I've got long nails and was worried about the depth of the groove / but it's fine. the only unit I sometimes struggle with is the extra height pull out larder - probably because it's overloaded!
    bebeblubelle ha ringraziato Lisa HE
  • Rose Williams
    6 anni fa

Hi, daisy, I was thinking push open mechanisms, not molded doors. I see what youre talking about, but some the grooved tops remind me of my grandads late 70's council kitchen but with a better finish. To me, strictly, these are not handle less

bebeblubelle ha ringraziato Rose Williams
  • bebeblubelle
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks Lisa HE,

Love your kitchen! That's just the ticket and the simple look I'm after. Messy worktop, you're kidding right?? lol

• PRO
    Hitchings & Thomas Ltd
    6 anni fa

Hi, why not go for a true handle less with rails instead of integrated handles.

www.kellerkitchens.com

• PRO
    Nordikka - Bespoke Furniture & Steel Doors
    6 anni fa

From my personal experience a handleless but high end kitchen is the way to go if you want the minimalistic look (push to open drawers) recess behind the door big enough so no problem with using it.

The cheaper ranges are impossible to use .

The one like above with rails will work fine too

bebeblubelle ha ringraziato Nordikka - Bespoke Furniture & Steel Doors
  • Monica
    6 anni fa

I was very keen on a handless look myself until we stayed with our friends for the weekend. I have since decided against them so we will go with handles. I need to say that I had trouble with the 900 drawers and tall pull out larder type, they were loaded and heavy and I did break my nails. Using it really made me appreciate how it would work for me and helped me with my decision. I need to mention that it was a Wren installed kitchen. Good luck with your decision :)

• PRO
    6 anni fa

Yes exactly the cheaper ranges are terrible . By high end I mean brands like Poggenpohl their handle less works perfectly fully loaded.

• kikiamack
    6 anni fa
    I agree with a lot of the comments above. Go for a true handleless with the rail rather than a J handle. We went for a Schueller handleless and the draws etc move smoothly and there is no fingertip problem.
  • bebeblubelle
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Sadly I'm on a pretty tight budget with the kitchen. The house has been a complete refurb back to bare stone walls and due to tragic personal circumstances I've had to hire trades to move the project forward to its conclusion. I would love a high end but at the moment I'm trying to achieve the look for less. Wren quotes were pretty high so now looking at Ikea, which we've had before but not the handle-less style.

• kikiamack
    6 anni fa
    What about handles like this, if handleless isn't a viable option?
    White Gloss, Contemporary Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni
  • bebeblubelle
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

This was another option I was looking at and looks great too Thank you

• PRO
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Yes I would go 'strip handle' as above if a proper handleless was not an option.

Wren or cheaper will simply not work . I have designed and helped friends who were on a budget with Howdens kitchens (I'm a qualified interior designer with over 10 years experience in very high end kitchens) , their (Howdens) top of the range collection is really good. Really good mechanisms and drawers (the dark square drawers ) I have not looked at their handleless options so can't comment if it's a 'rail' behind the door like the photo few comments above I would go for it.

You would need a proper help with the design and ordering as their 'designers' are not that experienced ... Easiest option get your Wren (if you are happy with it ) quote / design and ask the Howdens designer/ sales person to copy it. ;)

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    6 anni fa

The cheaper handleless doors are usually a vinyl wrapped door which hasn't got a deep J groove for your fingers. You need to look at a painted door thats 22mm thick, this has a much deeper J profile groove for your fingers. Some of the cheaper sheds have these but look out for them being 'cut and edged' doors. We have a range of deep J profile handleless doors including matt white to choose from, we can send you a drawer front as a sample and if you haven't had a plan done we can help with that as well.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".