Houzz Logo Print
anniemayray

Heighth of ceiling, crown molding, and cabinets.

anniemayray
6 anni fa
I think this is a great look, but I have 9 foot ceilings. Also my crown molding is about 8 inches, which would make my cabinets 46 inches height, and I have read that they should not be over 42 for the sake of stability.
Samples of our existing work · Maggiori informazioni

Commento (1)

• PRO
    Premier Cabinets of Virginia, LLC
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

If I understand correctly, sounds like you have 9 ft ceilings with 8" hi crown that you want to use and continue around new cabinets. I assume any 8" hi crown is 2-pc (or more) with a backband. And possibly you want to tie the new cabinet crown into existing ceiling crown at a corner. Assuming your crown is exactly 8" hi on the rise dimension, the easiest answer would be to use 42" cabinets with a backer having a 4" reveal. 42" cabinets would sit at 96" hi. A crown backer with a 4" reveal on top of the cabinets (you could also call that a backband) would take you to 100". And at that level you would place the same type of 8" crown you already have. This would give you the appearance of 2 backbands over the cabinets, and a single backband (presumably) on the wall. But would keep all the profiles and elevations the same. Alternatively, you could elect to go with 46" hi wall cabinets that would lie at 100" up. Those would require a height modification and add cost - or be a custom item. The cabinet boxes are not "unstable." But most makers & manufacturers would advise you to put a mid rail on the doors to control the panel size and expansion/contraction issues inherent in 5-pc hardwood doors. (Mid rail means there would be 3 horizontal members on each door). Certainly 3 hinges per door would be necessary, and a 4th hinge would be preferred on such tall doors. My best suggestion, however, would be to consider stacking cabinets to 100". That is, a "normal" wall cabinet under a smaller height cabinet. You might even get away from having to pay for custom sizes, if you wanted. You could do a 30" with a 1" filler plus a 15". You could also consider a glass-frame door on the 15s, and light the interior with LEDs. I typically furnish variable color temperature LEDs that are dimmable. But that combination of 30+1+15 would lie at 100" up. The downside would be the visual of 1" filler on the fronts. You can eliminate the visual on exposed ends with an applied panel. If the front filler is objectionable, opt for modified or custom 16" hi top cabinets. Honestly - and this is especially true for most women and many men - once you have a wall cabinet over 30" hi, the top portion of space is not accessible without a step stool or small ladder. If you elected to go with stacked cabinets, I don't think your storage space for everyday items would be compromised greatly. And the interior lighting will add a dramatic element to the appearance of the room.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".