Houzz Logo Print
peoc

Does my kitchen feel incomplete?

Peoc
6 anni fa

Hello Houzz folks,

Its been a few months since I moved into this house. We are still in the process of decorating it. This is how my kitchen looks as of now. I feel it is still very bare. What else can I add to make this look good? Any suggestions on how I can decorate the space above the cabinets? I have around 7 inches there. I also do not have any wall space to put up any wall decor. Thank you for the help!

Commenti (44)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 anni fa

It doesn’t look bare…it looks clean and sleek. Take down the roosters!

• Cor
    6 anni fa

I agree with Judy - the roosters don't work with the clean, comtemporay feel of your kitchen. Perhaps painting the walls - from the picture, they appear white.

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

Agree with above comments, and I would suggest looking at new hardware if you want something easy that can stand out. Right now your hardware looks to be the same color as the cabinets so they blend right in. Try going for brushed nickel and rather than round maybe a contemporary bar pull.

• Anne Duke
    6 anni fa

Keep a bowl of fruit on the island to brighten up that area and draw the eye, and if the plants on the counter aren't real, remove them. Resist the urge to decorate the top of the cabinets.

• Angela Smith
    6 anni fa

Buh-bye roosters! They're too farmhouse for your modern kitchen. I agree with not decorating the tops of the cabinets. Can you add some colorful art to the surrounding walls?

• nini804
    6 anni fa

Yup, no roosters (that is like French Country or just country or something...your kitchen isn't! :) ) I like a clean, spare look in a kitchen, so yours looks good to me. I agree with a big bowl of pretty fruit, and pots of cooking herbs like rosemary would look nice & functional.

• acm
    6 anni fa

You might be happier if your stools didn't duplicate the color of the cabinets -- a warmer wood tone, maybe, or some color of fabric...

• FeatherBee
    6 anni fa

I've always wanted a kitchen with roosters so there's nothing wrong with them lol. If you like them - then KEEP THEM. It's your space and you enjoy it...

It does look a tad bare at first glance but I understand some people like that clean sleek look. I prefer something a little more "homey-feel"... Where's the coffee maker? lol

• eld6161
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Roosters aside, the problem I see is that it looks staged. I would remove the plants and put things that you actually use in the kitchen. A toaster? A Keurig coffee maker? A set of canisters? A mug tree. Canisters and mugs can bring in some color.

Totally agree with a fruit bowl on the island. Again, the bowl and the fruit will bring in some color. You could do a decorative vase with fresh flowers/dried flowers.

I also agree that different stools with a lighter fabric and some texture.

• Laurie Schrader
    6 anni fa

Heck no! Your kitchen looks sleek and ready for real cooking/entertaining action, without a bunch of decor/stuff to impede. If there were one thing, though, that could really make it sing? Replace that boring subway tile with something that is as efficient as it is decorative. Barring that, you could also replace the pendants with ones far more colorful that might fit the kitchen better.

Decorate on top? No. Why buy a bunch of stuff that will only add clutter/dust and grease collection? Leave it alone.

• chiflipper
    6 anni fa

Beautiful kitchen. Lose the roosters and the glass thingy. New chrome bar pulls on cabinets. Love the orange cruets (?). The deep green plants would look better as a grouping (3-5) in place of the glass thingy. Try some cheap pillowcases, dyed bright orange, over the backrests of your chairs to determine if that is appealing to you. If so, you could add a bright orange stripe to the current upholstery.

• Kendrah
    6 anni fa

Looks great to me. I love the roosters, they are really funny. But, if your intention is not comical, I would remove them. Yep big bowl of fruit on the bar and call it a day. Also, if you want some more color, perhaps another shade on the pendent lights?

• cawaps
    6 anni fa

I like the roosters too, maybe because my grandmother collected roosters and other birds.

• PRO
    Candace Plotz Design
    6 anni fa

It's great that you selected neutral colours for your countertop and backsplash because these will stand the test of time.

My suggestion would be new light fixtures that are larger in scale. The one's you have are getting lost in the space. Perhaps something in a warm metal such as gold. Also, new barstools in a bold fabric or pattern would bring texture and interest and add some new hardware on the cabinets that contrast's the dark wood. (gold to match the new lighting would look fabulous)

Here are some photo suggestions to guide you along.

Hope this helps :)

• User
    6 anni fa

I like your kitchen. It looks clean and functional.

I wouldn't add anything to the top of the cabinets. I would a piece of art or tray against you backsplash somewhere. You could create a little, practical if you wanted, vignette with it.

Also a bowl of fruit or fresh flowers or move one of the plants to the island.

How far is your island overhang? You just want to be careful your seating isn't sticking out from the island too far. Mine is only 10" I think, which is too short and not common, but it limits what seating I can use.

You could add different stools so they weren't the same color as the cabinets but it should coordinate with the room and what's connected as a whole.

Different cabinet hardware would add more interest. I would probably pick a satin nickel or pewter color. I like gold and think you could do that but it should probably be repeated elsewhere to make sense.

ETA - If you're going to keep the roosters I'd put them together and actually add a third. Groupings of odd numbers can be more eye pleasing. I would get the last one either larger than a little small than the others.

• chloebud
    6 anni fa

Agree with adding some color with the stools, and changing the cabinet hardware.

Also agree with the roosters. However, I f you keep them, I would pair them up.

• User
    6 anni fa

Nothing on the top of the cabinets, please! The trend seems to be less is more -- a coffeepot perhaps or a colorful kitchen aid mixer and that is all! I think you have a nice kitchen!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 anni fa

Roosters are great for a particular scheme…French Country.

Peoc…your kitchen is fab, but not French Country (Pierre Deux).

• cpaul1
    6 anni fa

I would remove the roosters. I would decorate the counter tops with small stainless appliances (like a Kitchen Aid and a coffee maker, etc.). I would remove the small plants. I would get different size, shape and height glass apothecary jars for the island and fill them as makes sense to what you use. I would move the knife block next to the area where you do your kitchen work/prep. Remove the red colored jars, they match nothing.

• PRO
    Modern Intentions
    6 anni fa

It's lacking color and pattern. Maybe play around with the wall color and add a pattern to the barstools?

• nosoccermom
    6 anni fa

You said in your other thread that you are aiming for a rustic elegant look. In addition to new hardware and new pendants/ shades, maybe colorful slipcover for the stools, I'd add things that you actually use, e.g. cooking utensils in a crock, a kettle, maybe colorful containers, kitchen scale, etc. and a bowl with fruits to snack.

• Indigo Rose
    6 anni fa

I wonder if the roosters have meaning to you. If they are special to you, then continue to display them, but as other's have suggested, consider placing them grouped together. There seems to be a low level of tolerance for displaying something outside the expected norm, which in a way seems a little sad to me.

Sometimes I think it's nice, interesting, and maybe a little healthy or important to add a little unexpected whimsey to prevent ourselves from taking everything so seriously.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 anni fa

Normally, I don't care for whimsical kitschy stuff. But I kind of like your roosters because they look to be good quality and you don't have very many. Don't add more, though. Well, maybe one because odd numbers are best.

Definitely don't line the top of your cabinets with stuff. That would ruin your gorgeous kitchen.

• User
    6 anni fa

Ran across this photo tonight showing a little vignette with a piece of art. They used 3m hooks to attach.

maria killam

• C Marlin
    6 anni fa

Yes, if your rooster are special to you, keep them put put them together on the counter or island. They each look lonely, keep them happy together.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 anni fa

Very nice, but the pendants are a bit lack luster.

• Julia Saeed
    6 anni fa

Looks beautiful to me,I like minimalism,but I would change the pendants to different shapes

• artemis_ma
    6 anni fa

Frankly, I love the roosters. If you do too, leave them! For one, they help personalize the space.

In my case, I'm looking for some colorful vases at flea markets for over cabinets. I have one already, and I also have a fancy cut glass vase inherited from my parents. I figure two more (of the colorful type) and I'll be set. But not going to rush to find something just to find it. It has got to feel like it should be with me...

Maybe, as others have noted, punch up the pendants. (I'm drawn to Beverly's first suggestion, if it is large enough.) Brass drawer/cab pulls, perhaps.

I'm not sure what the orange items are to the right of the sink, but perhaps something in the same color down at the far left?

I like what I assume is an aloe plant. If it is, VERY functional in an active kitchen! (Perhaps that could be in a colorful pot?)

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 anni fa

Think the roosters add a touch of "unexpected," if you like them, I would keep them. Maybe add a 3rd, because odd #'s look better.

Instead of spreading out equally the 5 items you have on your countertop, I would cluster them in 2-3 groups.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 anni fa

Roosters were used for many years in kitchens and could be a bit predictable. Plus one lone rooster on the cabinets looks lost. Plates mounted on the wall can sometimes be interesting.

• amykath
    6 anni fa

I think its a lack of warm lighting. Maybe if you turned on your overhead cans? Also, you could always place a small lamp or two on the countertop.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 anni fa

If you like the chickens, keep 'em, but I'd pair them up, as chloebud said & leave the top of the cabinets empty. It looks pretty fine as-is - just like others say.

I like decorative roosters too = )

Too many knick-knacks in a kitchen are a pain to clean, IMPO. Maybe some colorful covers could be put over the chair backs, if you want to keep them & not switch them out. I can visualize colors like scarlet, ochre, olive green in heavy cotton or linen.

• arcy_gw
    6 anni fa

Your kitchen looks set, if staging and selling are your plans. For living in--I would need color, visual interest. Your poultry are a great start but I would expand on them. Cleaning is always a part of life. Once a year for above the cupboard decor I found to be sufficient. Do you have no appliances? These days they come in really fun colors.

• lazy_gardens
    6 anni fa

Seven inches is not enough room for decor because it will look squashed between cabinet and ceiling. Leave that spot blank.

As others have suggested, change the hardware to something that stands out against the cabinets.

• auntthelma
    6 anni fa

If you love plants, perhaps a philodendron along the top of the cabinets.

If you aren't a plant lover, don't do it, because it will need care and love.

Put the chickens together. They will be more of a decoration that way.

I love heirloom plates or pitchers along the top of the cabinets if they mean something to you.

Beautiful kitchen!

• auntthelma
    6 anni fa

Ageloff & Associates Portfolio · Maggiori informazioni

Traditional Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

The Arabella · Maggiori informazioni

• Peoc
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thank you guys for all the amazing ideas and suggestions! I cant really change the cabinets, but I can definitely add some color by changing the bar stools. I love the idea of having colorful pots around. Definitely adds the zing I am looking for.

The chickens were meant to add some fun elements to the kitchen. I am a 25 year old home owner. I did not want the kitchen to look well beyond my age. I couldn't keep the chickens together because the white one was 8 inches. Need to find a rooster that fits the space,. That got returned to the store

I also added a bowl of fruits on the island. My coffee bar is on a counter to the right of this picture. My toaster is here as well. All my other cooking appliances are stocked in the pantry.

I also liked the idea of changing the pendants to give the kitchen a better look. Will work on that one.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas and suggestions. You folks are the best! :) Will post an updated picture in the future once I have the kitchen ready

• mollymcbaby
    6 anni fa

What a pretty kitchen!

I would change to chrome or nickel hardware. I would also consider changing the knobs on the cabinets to pulls to add more shine and to break up the expanse of dark cabinetry.

Your pendant lights are fine, but I would love to see something more substantial and with a bit of personality. It could be chrome or nickel, again to add a bit of shine. Or even something a little different from the rest of the kitchen, like brass.

I personally find the roosters to be a nice touch of fun. If they're not too valuable where you would need to preserve them as they are, you could spray paint them a solid color--any color--to modernize them a bit. I can also see them painted with that "looking glass" spray paint. They would be some handsome, urbane roosters, then!

• Peoc
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Love your suggestions mollymcbaby. Changing the knobs is an amazing idea :)

• Sharon
    6 anni fa

I vote to keep the roosters!

• nosoccermom
    6 anni fa

OK, now that I know your age :)

It's Lindsey Adelman DIY, can be adjusted.

Instructions with ready-to ship list of parts: http://www.lindseyadelman.com/diy

I also like the kind of photo, taken by you, on one of the other walls.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 anni fa

FWIW, chickens come in different sizes in real life, so 2 different sized roosters next to each other is not too weird. I kind of dig the quirkiness of it....

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 anni fa

Agree, like the quirkiness of a small rooster collection.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".