Houzz Logo Print
dmilk

Convert to all wood flooring??

dmilk
6 anni fa

We recently purchased this home but can't move in until the fall. I'm already trying to figure out what projects need to be done first. The foyer, sunroom, and kitchen all of ceramic time(white) which I'm not a huge fan of. The sitting room, office and living room all have new carpet. The dining room as a light colored (almost white) wood. I love dark brown hardwood floors. I definitely will put that in the kitchen since it was newly remodeled and is all white. Should I continue the wood in dining room,
Sunroom and foyer? Or leave tile in foyer and sunroom? Also the wood on stairs and upstairs is newly done but it would not match the color wood floors I want. Do I stain those to match the flooring? Thank you!

the flooring color I would want

Commenti (12)

• sunnyd297
    6 anni fa
    I think doing wood floors throughout would look great especially because you have an open floor plan. It would be an upgrade from the carpet and ceramic tile.
    dmilk ha ringraziato sunnyd297
  • dmilk
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Sunnyd297 you would recommend even removing carpet in sitting and living room and replace with wood. Wood throughout entire home is the best way to go? Could I do it in sections. Start with kitchen foyer dining and do living room sunroom next spring? Or better to do all at once? How long of a project would this take? Thanks!

• leelee
    6 anni fa

If you decide to do wood throughout do it all at once. If you try to do it in sections you will just prolong the agony. It's a messy thing if you get the hardwoods that need to be sanded and sawed and stained on site.

Engineered wood wouldn't be as much of a hassle.

dmilk ha ringraziato leelee
  • dmilk
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

What is the trend today with wood flooring? All wood throughout the house or wood (foyer, dining, kitchen) and carpet in the family/living room? I do think it's more cozy with carpet in the living room but love the look of wood with an area rug.

• annmarie2
    6 anni fa

I love the idea of all wood, and match width, grain, finish throughout.

Having said that, if you are going to put wood into a kitchen and go around existing cabinets, please think very carefully. If you put it on top of existing tile, ti will make it almost impossible to remove the dishwasher (we found this out after moving into a house where it had been done, when the old dishwasher leaked and dropped the basement ceiling). It may also limit the brand of dishwasher you can use in the future due to height.

• PRO
    Tailored Interior Inc
    6 anni fa

I would suggest installing wood flooring throughout the main floor. I would try to choose a colour that has a wash effect so that even if it is a different colour from your stairs , it will still blend in well together ... ex: hardwood flooring in a white washed colour that has hints of brown in it. The hints of brown will compliment the brown colour on the stairs and will ease the transition of the distinct colours to the eye.

dmilk ha ringraziato Tailored Interior Inc
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 anni fa

I agree with everyone on wood throughout. Keep in mind though that the darker wood you go the more it's going to show. Dark wood especially shows every piece or hair and speck of dust. I have them now and even as I vacuum dust settles.

dmilk ha ringraziato Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • tedbixby
    6 anni fa

Are you looking to replace the wood in the dining room? Are you able to post a layout of the rooms even if you draw it out as it is hard to determine how the rooms flow to each other and since it doesn't look like an open concept home, there may not be a need to do wood throughout the lower level.

I know you love the dark flooring but consider how it will work with your furniture and not just the kitchen cabinets if you are to put it in other rooms. A medium colored stain will be more classic and not go in and out of trend like dark flooring. The dark will show everything and will be a higher maintenance floor, too.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 anni fa

I totally agree with Tedbixby. The wood floors look great all throughout the space. If the budget allows do it before you move in. Also, while dark wood floors look beautiful, they are just awful to keep clean! My DD has the floors that you have shown. They are a nightmare. I would go with a light color.

• dmilk
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Tedbixby here is the layout of the home if this helps. Thanks!

• tedbixby
    6 anni fa

I wish I could tell you that it does but it doesn't as it doesn't show what rooms are what and to me it looks different than your photos. I can't tell if the rooms are more segmented from each other as it appears in your photos or one big open floor plan. Can you help us out here with a bit more detail?

Are you thinking of having the wood stained and finished on-site or are you looking at prestained?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".