Houzz Logo Print
bropaul

Support for tomatillos

bropaul
6 anni fa

I was wondering what other gardeners use to support tomatillo plants. I have been using large commercial tomato cages but am not happy with the results. Any ideas?

Commenti (5)

• digdirt2
    6 anni fa

That's a good question as, depending on the variety, they do love to sprawl all over the place. Indeed many let them do just that - sprawl on mulch. If by "large commercial tomato cages" you mean the 3 or 4 ring round things they sell then I find them useless for just about anything except pepper or eggplants. For tomatoes, like many over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here, I only use 6' CRW cages.

What has worked best for me for the largest varieties of tomatillos is a square set of 5-6' posts and a bunch of string wound from post to post forming a loose cage around the plant. Doesn't look at all attractive but it gives the flexibility to add strings as needed. This is for in ground growing of course. If in a container, which I have never done, then I think I'd probably use one of the many 4-5' tall square tomato cages on the market.

Dave

• PRO
    JL Horowitz
    6 anni fa

We use circular tomato stakes in our garden.

• lazy_gardens
    6 anni fa

I use the ring-style tomato cages ... keep the stems inside the cage all the way to the top and let them flop

• PRO
    JL Horowitz
    6 anni fa

Absolutely. Our tomatoes grow well in these cages!

• annie1992
    6 anni fa

I also use the ring style tomato cages. They come in different sizes, I got the biggest ones I could find. They still grow up over the top and out through the sides, but they are somewhat contained. Two tomatillos give me all I can possibly use.

I slice them and fry like green tomatoes, I like them even better than the tomatoes that way.

Annie

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".