Houzz Logo Print
paul_reynolds2

How has this heat wave been affecting your garden?

Paul (MD 7a)
6 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

Im in North central Maryland and we have been having multiple 90+ degree days. This much heat this early in the season is somewhat unusual for my area. We also haven't had a significant rain in quite a while. It has been a challenge to keep up with keeping the garden watered but so far my plants seem to still be pretty healthy. Although I suspect this will be the end of my lettuce. How has the recent weather been for you and how has it affected your garden?

Commenti (32)

• planterjeff
    6 anni fa

Im in Georgia, but I've already pulled all my lettuce and snap peas. We had a pretty hot run there.

• luaygh
    6 anni fa

By this time last year I was already harvesting zucs and cucs and my tomatoes were several feet high... not the case this year I'm still several weeks away from harvesting any zucs and cucs. I'm afraid they may succumb to powdery mildew before any decent harvest. So as you can imagine, I'm loving the heatwave! I have a few heads of romaine lettuce that I have been watering diligently to prevent bolting and so far so good. But the "salad table" I built this year and direct sowed all sorts of baby salad leaves was a waste of time and money. Everything bolted except the baby kale and I think it was a combination of the heat and sowing seeds too closely. So now my salad table will be converted to a bush bean table this week.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    6 anni fa

It has been near or above 90 since Saturday. I watered part of my vegetable garden once during that time. Everything is still going well. I have never been the type to pamper my plants.

Glad it has cooled down today. Only supposed to get to 83.

Rodney

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

All of my cool weather stuff has been pulled already here except for a couple potato beds. Only a few of my lettuce started to show the first signs of bolting before I harvested them. We have been in the 90s and pretty dry for several days in a row now with a few more to go before it cools down. Not much chance of significant rain in the forecast either. I imagine that my tomatoes won't set any more fruit until it cools down but most types already have 10-15 set already. I am getting a little tired of watering already but I have some winter squash just getting started and bush beans and cucumbers need plenty of water to set quality fruit so it is what it is.

• Laura at Rather Square
    6 anni fa

We are having the same weather. My cilantro is bolting. I have never had luck growing it from transplants (always bolted fast) so I did seed this year. At least I got one small harvest before the bolting. Otherwise, I am just watering my containers (potatoes, tomatoes, peas, beans, strawberries) every day and my 4x6 raised bed every few days. My lettuce is usually really good even with heat, but I think I see the start of bolting now.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    6 anni fa

Here, the hot weather has been hand-in-hand with drenching rains... 3-4" already in the last 2 days, with more on the way in a few hours. Fortunately, this was preceded by a lengthy dry spell, so my gardens finally dried out enough for me to get a lot planted. The transplants loved the rain, and have really perked up. I just hope that the seeds I planted before the rain (DW & I were out planting until we felt the first rain drops) were not drowned out by the heavy rainfall (as many of them were last year after a similar wet spell).

Overall, after a late start this year, this heat is more than welcome.

Paul, I think those storms are headed your way... be careful what you wish for. ;-)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    6 anni fa

The near 90° temps are really shooting the corn up; making melons grow;, and growing things in general.

• Sandpaper Tongue
    6 anni fa

I'm in Northern Virginia and this heat wave killed off my peas before I got any. (I'm planted them late this year, but previous years I was even lazier and later and managed to get a decent amount of peas.) My tomatoes are all flowering now but none are pollinating. Only good thing is that my eggplant is doing well!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    6 anni fa

I'm in PA somewhat close the MD line. Only had to water my plants once since the heat wave came in. Only plant that showed wilt from the heat was a recently planted pepper that I got from a local nursery. Sent most of my lettuce to bolt as well as spinach. My sugar snap peas oddly are doing quite well. Tomatoes are loving the heat putting out flowers.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    6 anni fa

Been hot here in central Va recently too but the rain has been normal so that helps. The real monkey wrench was a hailstorm 2 weeks ago, egg sized and spiked. The garden was a bit shredded and beheaded but has recovered and is back to normal now. Could use more rain now and we are getting it. No more hail please. Back to the 80's in the daze ahead.

• PRO
    JL Horowitz
    6 anni fa

Our tomatoes have had a nice growth spurt. Over 50+ vegetable buds now!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 anni fa

Just reading about your temps makes me sweat. We are predicted 75 today. Hottest day of the year so far. That's our version of a heat wave ;-)

• Paul (MD 7a)
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Floral_uk - 75 sounds wonderful :). Does that make it hard to grow hot weather plants like eggplant? What are your winter's like? Our hottest days of the summer will get up to around 100F (usually just a few days) and our coldest winter temps will get down to 5F, sometimes even colder.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    6 anni fa

Here in the mountains of NM, the problem is the heat wave with temps in the upper 90s (unusual for this part) and humidity of 9%. My cauliflower were just starting to set heads and so I am not hopeful they will do anything for me except perhaps feed the chickens. My lettuce is definitely done. I have plants sitting on my porch that I would like to put in the ground but will probably wait until temperatures moderate some (probably 2 weeks from now, which is normally the start of the monsoon season here). Thankfully temps dip dramatically at night, and are in the high 50s and low 60s. We only use ceiling fans and open windows to cool the house so the gardener is not enjoying the heat either. Right now I go out to water and check on things around 6 in the morning and then try to stay inside the rest of the time.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 anni fa

The broccoli that survived the worm onslaught has mostly bolted.

I may just yank them and put a small late planting of corn in.

I'll start more broccoli soon for a fall crop.

My corn, planted 4/30, is well last knee high. The 'Trinity' plants have a hint of tassel in the center of a couple.

• Phuong, Zone 7a, Western Kentucky
    6 anni fa

We've been in the mid-90's as well. I water the Asian greens, kohlrabi, and bulb fennel everyday when it's that hot, they're all in the shadiest beds and only the tatsoi has bolted. I don't even try to grow spring lettuce or broccoli anymore, they all bolt or button because our springs are usually too hot. Plus we get tons of harlequin bugs when we grew brassicas spring to summer.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 anni fa

Paul, eggplant, peppers, melons are all pretty much impossible outdoors without glass. Even tomatoes can be iffy. I grow my basil and chillis in a greenhouse. 75 is not an average, it's a hot spell. On the other hand we can have fresh leafy greens all year round. Winter occasionally goes below freezing but never for more than a day or so. That means that things like rosemary and bay laurel overwinter easily. It's a temperate maritime climate. No excess temperatures in either direction. And rainfall is pretty evenly distributed all year round.

• PRO
    JL Horowitz
    6 anni fa

We reached 95 in Chicago

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 anni fa

My local authority has just issued all schools with a level 2 Heat Wave alert. Expected max temps??

82f ;-)

• Paul (MD 7a)
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Finally got some rain this afternoon during a thunderstorm. Hopefully some of it soaked in and didnt just run off.

• aacuna1
    6 anni fa

Here is Arizona, we hit 117° today and it won't let up (we'll slide down to 109/108° if we're lucky) until we hit our monsoon in August. Then it will be alternating really wet and really dry and always hot until October. Accordingly, lettuce and lots of other plants have had it for the summer but my tomatos and peppers are still doing pretty good. Watering 2-3 times daily. We had some cool weather in May - only 80-90° so that was blessing and kept my chard growing for sure. Can't complain too much - our growing season is pretty solid from September to May. This is our "winter" when no one goes outside without risk of exposure, school is canceled due to weather, and plants die.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 anni fa

I love the 'only 80 or 90!' We are experiencing our 3rd day of the current 'heatwave'. The media are issuing alerts and are full of photos of people sunbathing in parks. Tomorrow's temp is predicted to be ....... 86! Unbelievably hot for us ;-) Yesterday I had to invigilate an exam in a boiling hot gym with no ac. The kids were all sticking to their seats and fanning themselves with bits of paper, poor things. But the garden's fine because the ground is at capacity due to regular rain. Only the pots have needed water.

• Sandpaper Tongue
    6 anni fa

Oh my gosh, my peas all started flowering and I see some teeny tiny pods forming. I thought the heatwave killed them but it looks like they made it through. Hope with temps in the 80s this week, I may actually get some peas out of this. It's high 80s and then the of the week will be 90s again, so it's not great. Fingers crossed! I was about 2 months late on peas...

Meanwhile the eggplant is still the only happy plant in the garden!

• kerry (6b VA)
    6 anni fa

Finally cooler here today after we had storms yesterday. I've been keeping up with watering, so it hasn't affected to garden too badly. I saw some flowers on my green beans today and I have some tomato blossoms on the big tomatoes and a few green cherries. Probably the worst casualty is that my basil looks ready to bolt at any minute.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 anni fa

Peas are done. There were very few immature pods, and the plants were yellowing, so I yanked them up and got the rest of the pods. Not a bad harvest (Super Sugar Snap) over the last couple weeks, but it reminded me that the low yield of peas is barely worth the effort.

Broccoli is toast. Between the heat and the striped worms, although I harvested all but one of the primary heads, and they were great, and the saltwater bath only brought a few worms out.

The secondary smaller shoots were infested to the point where they were mostly inedible, but at least I got the primary heads before they really took hold. Thought about trying to baby the plants through and see how they did, but I almost think I'm better off yanking them, using that spot for something else, and then starting more seeds in July for a fall crop.

My first planting of sweet corn is about 3' tall now, and the Trinity plants are just showing some tassels. Planted 4/30.

Pole beans are blooming despite the weird curling and cupping of the leaves.

I have harvested a couple peppers. Tomatoes have many green fruits, nothing ripe yet. I have a San marzano that is close.

Yukon Gold potatoes are almost died back. The Purple Majesty plants are just yellowing a bit.

Sweet Potatoes are plodding along, seem to be taking off of it now.

Pumpkins and watermelons growing like mad, no fruit set yet.

Zucchini has a single fruit set so far.

onions are bulbing.

I have watered, and we did finally get 3/4" of rain yesterday, (a moist upcoming weekend looks promising as well) the first decent rain of June. Still plenty of subsoil moisture thanks to the wet May, so trees and shrubs are fine, but I have had to water the veggies and flowers a bit .

• aacuna1
    6 anni fa

Floral - well, that's one great thing about being here; we are air conditioned. At least we can hide inside. **as I sit in my 79° home feeling all cool** Now, walking outside and the garden - that's a different story lol.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 anni fa

We are having a pretty moderate spell right now compared to the same time last year. Only a couple days in the 2 week forecast over 90 and a few days with rainfall chances. Last June 8-30 I didn't get have a single new tomato set except for cherries. I had two distinct tomato harvests. Those set before June 8 and those set during a short cooler spell from July 1 - July 10.

We had 3 unexpected rainfalls last weekend that allowed me to take a break from watering but delayed my potato harvest a bit.

After I harvest the last 2 potato beds I will have about 50% of my garden laying fallow until mid July when I start planting the fall garden. Fall carrots, leeks, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, green beans, and radishes are all in the plans.

• jacoblockcuff (z5b/6a CNTRL Missouri
    6 anni fa

It's definitely warm here, but I am very surprised, because, remembering correctly, the last two years at about this time we had heat stroke warnings! Not this year...

• babushka_cat
    6 anni fa

Has been a scorcher here in SF Bay area. Based on comments above I will define scorcher: >100 degrees, 105 degrees in the shade. Another 3 days of heatwave projected but slightly reduced temps hopefully. One of my first sweet peppers forming has a greyish colored patch on it - is that sunburn? Will take photo after work if needed.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 anni fa

Babushka - yes that sounds like it could be sunscald on the pepper. Not much you can do for that one but pick it and eat the unaffected part. If it is sunscald it will slowly spread and rot that fruit. If you can rig up something to shade the plants from the afternoon sun you might avoid more fruit getting affected.

• babushka_cat
    6 anni fa

OK will build a temp shade structure with a sheet or something, heat supposed to break on friday.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".