Houzz Logo Print
eol13

Too much space either side of fridge?

E O L
6 anni fa
Space for fridge is 105cm wide, but fridge is only 78 cm wide. Should I include a narrow broom cupboard (which will not align with the overhead cupboards or just centre the fridge in the space?

Commenti (31)

• girlguides
    6 anni fa
    Narrow broom cupboard which could easily be knocked out should you sell
  • User
    6 anni fa

I think by the time you have a cabinet made to infill that- it would be so tiny.....another option might be to just ask the cabinet maker to create some infill panels to go around your fridge.

• siriuskey
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Wine racks that can be bought from Bunnings Kaboodle kitchens, 700 x 150 takes 5 bottles per rack you can install them flush with the other cabinets cheers

• Gallifrey
    6 anni fa

Cheaper to buy a bigger fridge?

• E O L
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thanks for all the advice. Here is the fridge in place. Does this look ok? Or should I have panels put beside the fridge . Gap is about 15cm each side. Or pushed to one edge 30. Cm for a broom cupboard? not really keen on a a wine rack
  • kt20
    6 anni fa

Looks fine to me!! I suspect another cupboard would not store much and would destroy a lovely clean look. The symmetry is fabulous. And remember - one day you might splash out for a bigger fridge. You have options!

• robandlyn
    6 anni fa

Leave it like it is or get a bigger fridge! There is nowhere near enough room for another cabinet without it looking odd. You aren't allowed to push fridges right up against a side as they need a gap for ventilation.

• Bernadette Staal
    6 anni fa

even if you don't drink (like me) a custom built (or off the shelf) wine rack is what I have seen in other peoples homes. If you put it in as an stand alone item then should you upgrade your fridge in the future it could be removed, alternatively it gives options for future home buyers if you were to sell the house in the future.

• siriuskey
    6 anni fa

Totally agree, the fridge space as it is is way too big, the most important space is above and behind and just enough at the sides to grab the fridge to move, check your installation details but it's been suggested by LG that 1/8 inch is all that's required each side. Even if you don't like wine you could store water bottles. but resale and a built in fridge look is important just one full height row on one side of the fridge (this could even be shelves for trays, cook books etc.

Your cabinet installer could also give your kitchen a better fitted look by replacing the strip of cabinet that's been installed across the top of the cabinets with gyprock painted the same as the wall colour with the cornice placed onto that, sending you a couple of photos, your fridge looks brand new so I wouldn't go to the expense of replacing that, the narrow shelf to one side can always be removed if and when needed cheers

• LesleyH
    6 anni fa
    Looks fine to me.
  • siriuskey
    6 anni fa

can't imagine you having your fridge look like that LesleyH haha

• annb1997
    6 anni fa

My fridge has space surrounding it similar to yours. I appreciate that I can fit the vacuum cleaner hose into the space to clean it! I think it looks fine too.

• siriuskey
    6 anni fa

It's such a lovely brand new kitchen, we all know how expensive it is, it's just a shame not to have it fitted, but entirely up to E O L

• annb1997
    6 anni fa

I just noticed the wall behind fridge is painted dark (black?); no wonder it looks good as is. Wish I'd thought of that.

• Gallifrey
    6 anni fa

looks fine. I thought you had massive gaps.

• PRO
    Creative Style Interior Design
    6 anni fa
    I think adding filler panels or the like will look like a 'bodgied-up' fix. You may eventually buy a larger fridge in which case you'll be grateful you have the space. I'm sure your friends and family will assume you were clever enough to plan for the future. In the meantime I don't think it looks too bad.
  • Herbal Bohemia (Amber)
    6 anni fa
    I agree with @Mel N the fridge needs breathing room. I personally don't think it looks odd.
  • Christine Langdon
    6 anni fa

The gap is not too large at all. You need some air space around the fridge - it should not touch the walls or it won't have enough ventilation. One of my neighbours bought a new fridge for our just-built apartments. It ftis in but the right hand door has no room to open

• debluc
    6 anni fa
    Fisher paykel have fridges which fit in against cabinets in their newer range. May be something to investigate.
  • minerva000
    6 anni fa

Personally, I think it's looks great, as is. But another thought, you could get cabinet-maker to make doors of same cabinetry (attached to fridge doors) to cover fridge and gaps, so that fridge then disappears? If you have the depth to push the fridge back, that is?

Or, for a really "out-there" idea, you could make a feature of the fridge, and get a fridge-wrap (stick on - get static cling so can be removed/repositioned) decal in any colour/style you like - it's impressive what they've got these days. I was browsing and saw a fridge wrap looking like a Manhattan skyline that looked AMAZING... and the kitchen it was in looked wicked too...!

• E O L
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thanks for all your advice. I may live with it for a while and consider my options. I have learned a hard lesson. Sending the fridge specs to my kitchen renovator and assuming ( and not checking) that they were reflected in the final plans...has cost me dearly. I had decided to buy a larger fridge but there is insufficient height ....very unlucky
  • olldroo
    6 anni fa

I think these built in fridges are very limiting as you never know when a fridge will need servicing or even die so to me free access is important. Fridges do need to be cleaned under and around periodically too and it is surprising how small a space a mouse can find to squeeze under or behind a fridge for its final resting place. Save your money - down the track when you need a new fridge you might find you will need to alter your existing cupboards to accommodate it anyway. There seems to be no "standard" in fridge sizes.

Your kitchen looks lovely, relax and enjoy it.

• gkechidna
    6 anni fa

Don't build a wine rack next to a fridge as the heat from the fridge will turn your expensive wine to vinegar in no time. If the width space is very large, match the finish of the existing kitchen joinery and add a broom/napery cupboard ; for items that can stay dry and take the warmth from the adjoining fridge.Leave enough space around the fridge for ventilation.

• PRO
    Detente Design
    6 anni fa

Refer to your fridge specs before you close anything in. Fair Trading laws in this country have obsoleted warranties. There is now a sliding scale of reasonable expectation on consumer items which means manufacturers will rely on their tech specs more than ever. Check what minimum clearance your fridge officially needs on the sides and above the machine for ventilation before doing anything.

Get your lighting working for you. Choose a 'warm white' lamp - not daylight or cool white. Cool whites kill off the warmer hues and makes things appear cold. Change, add or move your lighting to have two small gimbled ceiling lights wash down the face of the joinery instead of one bright light focussed on the fridge. Lighting can make a poor space look great or a great space look poor.

• E O L
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thanks for the advice. Problem was not the manufacturer. The kitchen project manager failed to adjust the plans for the size of my fridge. But I am at fault for not checking the plans. He has agreed to install infill panels at his cost . My concern is that it will not look any better.
  • KK1000
    6 anni fa
    I am thinking of a narrow pull out cabinet to hold baking trays , chopping boards, maybe spray bottles etc.,or just leave it as it is.
  • Candice C
    6 anni fa
    I don't mind it - especially after having a fridge that was so close to the surrounding cabinetry that we couldn't open the freezer door completely
  • dandjm
    6 anni fa

i have a gap and i store my house step ladder there.. very handy spot

• nancymiller48
    6 anni fa

Leave as is, or if you want to fill it, narrow slot shelves for baking trays, serving trays, the leaf for your antique dining table (my brother's idea), the ironing board, kitchen steps etc etc! Even those large platters that don't fit in your cupboards. Could be a very useful and versatile storage space! But open shelves, no door.

• Renuka De Silva
    4 anni fa

my frige width 680 mm,.....height..1720mm,...depth ..730mm....lg inverter system frige.

Please wants to how i can keep correct gap between three sides of frige for ventilation?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".