Houzz Logo Print
tomsarah08

Shutters with blackouts - advice

Sara
6 anni fa

My question is about plantation shutters, and whether the integrated blackout ones really do work.

I hear shutters still let a lot of light in, and since our bedroom faces South, we need as much darkness as possible for 8 hours sleep in Summer! We’d really like tier on tier slats, and some companies offer built-in blackout features. How does this work exactly? I can’t tell if it’s a bit of a gimmick, because surely we could fit our own blackout roller blinds at the back of the frame? Or do they work some other way?

I’m happy to pay more a) if they really work and b) it’s some sort of design innovation that we couldn’t do ourselves.

Thanks!

Commenti (9)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6 anni fa
    I think you need to ask to see a video of actual shutters in place - in this day and age - that should be totally possible !
  • Lauren Jade
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Our plantation shutters which are not black out ones never let in a lot of light when shut. My husband it a black out curtain kind of guy but has never complained about light coming in through shutters. I agree with One Plan above as well.

• PRO
    The Shutter Shop
    6 anni fa

We have a number of customers who are very satisfied with the integrated black out blinds and shutters and they also have these installed in their children's bedroom. Perhaps this may help you - https://www.shuttershop.co.uk/blogs/blog/getting-a-better-nights-sleep-with-our-integrated-shutter-and-darkening-blinds

• PRO
    London Interior Shutters
    6 anni fa

Integrated blackout blinds do achieve exactly what it is required. You may encounter a surcharge from your chosen shutter company.

You could add a blackout roller blind yourself also. Depending what type of windows you have (particularly sash windows) may be awkward and less elastically aesthetically pleasing than others.

Top Tip:- A large louvre/slat will allow more light into a room when open and shall also block out more light when closed.

Happy to provide any further guidance or information that you may need.

London Interior Shutters

• Sarah
    6 anni fa
    We have basic blackout roller blinds fitted behind the shutters which works well
  • Sara
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thanks everyone. We have PVC sashes so I don't know if we were to be able to find a standard roller blind whose brackets were slim enough to also fit a shutter frame over the top.
    I have attached a photo of the window (we currently have IKEA blackout blinds). I guess the question is how deep does a standard letter from need to be because we will then have to figure out if we can fit a blind behind it.
  • User
    6 anni fa

You can buy shutters with louvres that are shaped differently to the usual ones. These overlap more snugly when shut to block the light but you may still get splinters of light between the shutters and frames. Alternatively you can get shutters with built in blackout blinds.

• User
    6 anni fa

These pictures from Shutterly Fabulous show the interlocking slats on their privacy shutters

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".