Houzz Logo Print
natepeterliz

Need help specifying cabinet and countertop heights and depths

natepeterliz
6 anni fa

Hello, I am looking at Barker cabinets but am unsure how to correctly specify the details I want. I would love a beefy 3" countertop "waterfall" edge in Neolith countertop material. Do I shorten the cabinet height to arrive at the correct overall height? Is the edge an "L" over the front side of the cabinets, obstructing the doors if ordered incorrectly? Or is it built up inside that "L" to lay flat across the top (so 3" countertops would sit on 33" tall cabinets)? Please explain common practice to arrive at the correct number. Thanks!

Commenti (11)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 anni fa

How did you come up with 3"? For kitchen countertops, the thickness of Neolith is usually 3/4".

The slabs of Neolith come in 3mm (1/8"), 6mm (1/4"), 12mm (1/2") and 20mm (3/4").

natepeterliz ha ringraziato GN Builders L.L.C
  • natepeterliz
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

GN Builders, the 12mm Neolith slab will be made into a countertop will have a mitered "waterfall" edge of 3", to look like this island when finished. Please help me understand how this done. I really appreciate the help!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 anni fa

Most likely they will laminate edge profiles. So basically they will install plywood first and wrap everything with the stone and add profile edge.

natepeterliz ha ringraziato GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 anni fa

By the questions you are asking I would tell you to get some pro help ASAP kitchen design is more than just a pretty space function is the first priority and just because you like the look of a waterfall counter not all spaces suit them.

• PRO
    TLC Remodeling
    6 anni fa

I agree with comments above about hiring a KD to make sure have all of the details covered and to make sure that the top is the best for your kitchen.

• PRO
    I.Q. Granite & Flooring
    6 anni fa
    These details can be taken care of by your counter top fabricator. Will you be adding the 3" mitered edging all around the perimeter or just the islands the first question ?
    natepeterliz ha ringraziato I.Q. Granite & Flooring
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa
    You should be asking pros these questions. Kitchens have a lot of details and even though I have designed dozens of them, I still consult with specific kitchen designers because I don't want to miss important detail. Plus, the liability sits with them not you. Run don't walk to great kitchen designer. KD.
  • natepeterliz
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I.Q. Granite & Flooring, 3" mitered edging around the entire perimeter.

All other replies, first, thank you for reading and adding your thoughts. Never fear, I am both using a kitchen designer and will have professional help from contractors and fabricators. I am asking these questions to better understand the project. I am pricing out Barker Cabinets and can't do that accurately without understanding how this detail works. This thread is a beautiful, very funny example of conversation on the internet. Hope some reflection on this puts a smile on your face too. I appreciate all the help!

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Why are you even pricing a DIY cabinet dealer if you have professionals involved?? They aren't all that cheap for the amount of work that you will need to do. Plenty of assembled lines give a better value. Plus, that creates a major finger pointing situation as to who is responsible for what. You need one single person responsible for the whole job. You need a Kitchen Designer. Turn over the design, and cabinet selection, and third party countertop contractor interfacing to her.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Natepeterliz-if you just wanted knowledge and said why you were asking these questions, you would have gotten better feedback. You gave the impression you were "specifying" all the details, which is why we all got concerned. 90% of these posts aren't what you were looking for, so maybe next time, you can tell people the reason you are asking so we don't all respond in ways that are off what you are asking, if you get what I mean.

natepeterliz ha ringraziato Flo Mangan
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".