Houzz Logo Print
regina_espinozacavazos

Old world/ rustic

In the construction process and contractor is asking for paint colors! I have realized that my style is old world/rustic with a little bit of chic. I love old world just not the dark and gloomy part.
Grays, grieges, and light.
I DONT want my kitchen cabinets to be any type of brown. I am debating between gray and antique white. Looking for a color that will flow well and blend well, not dark, I am tending to stick to everything gray then the whole house would look completely gray... or would it?! I have attached inspo photos, and some are light fixtures I definitely want. O and my countertops are going to be a carrera granite or quartz! But I am sticking to the carrera marble look, just debating on the material to use. Any suggestions on anything would be great... obviously with paint color being of priority at this time.

Commenti (50)

• Susan Davis
    6 anni fa

Pick a paint card that shows foua deep color at the bottom that you love and then use the other four to six colors from light to dark and do your whole house in those tones....they will mix and match beautifully.

• PRO
    Leo Dowell Designs
    6 anni fa

If you want to be as authentic as possible without getting gray overload, use the grays for your cabinets some furniture finishes and accents. If you look at your idea photos again, you will notice the larger surfaces, walls ceilings, etc. Are really a creamy off white. Your guide is the natural stones that have many different tins and shade of colors not just one hue of gray. The beautiful thing about gray is it is a true natural and any color will mix with it. So you can change your accents with the seasons for a fresh new look without changing the grays.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Be careful of creamy so called "off whites", they can go yellow and that doesn't play well with the neutrals and grays in the photos you posted. I would do a white for your cabinets and let the other elements give you the colors you might seek, such as gray island cabinetry. Gray/wood looks, grey/beige stone for flooring in a Versailles pattern is very old world and gorgeous. As soon as you go cream on cabinets, trouble begins. If you want Carrera marble look and want quartz, the most like real Carrera marble, IMO, is Zodiac London Sky. So, if your marble is predominately white, and your cabinets are off white to a cream! Trouble. So, do the cabinets in white, with NO GLAZE BUT choose a cabinet style that is more traditional like a raised panel look. Hardware can match your lighting and plumbing if you wish. Oil Rubbed Bronze is good with the old world look, but the new aged golds are really beautiful as well and would work well. In summary, white cabinets with raised panels; possible aged gold hardware and plumbing; Oil rubbed Bronze lantern island lights; probably Silver Travertine in Versaille pattern for the flooring, because the stone coming out now has a lot of beige and gray in it even though it is called "Silver". You have to put your eyeballs on all materials and get "current" samples, not just rely on showroom samples. That is a lot of info to take in so I'll stop for now, but I think you will have a beautiful home!!!

• Regina Espinoza Cavazos
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Leo if there was a love button for you last comment I would have clicked it! Thank you for your advise, only wished you were in my area!
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I actually already chose the oil rubbed bronze! Didn't see the new aged golds! Thank you for your input, very helpful
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I really like the white cabinet look, but since I really want that carrera countertop you don't think they'd both get lost in each other? It is primarily white.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

NO, not at all. First the quartz and marble for that matter have enough gray veining that separates, plus you will have some backsplash between the countertop and the peripheral cabinets. If you don't stick to the whites, you will have a clash of tones. You can introduce other colors with accessories and you will be very happy with the look. Have you selected flooring yet? That is big factor in overall look. In the 3rd photo you posted, those cabinets look like they are a very light silvery gray color? The middle photo the kitchen has white cabinets. So, this is a choice you have to make, but any color in your cabinets begins to limit you. Flooring first, cabinets second (harder to get flooring than cabinet colors) Always select hardest elements first. Paint colors last once all the other elements are selected and known.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

GEORGIA HOME · Maggiori informazioni
    Here is example of white kitchen, Carrera countertops, wood/gray island look, with dark flooring, dark decorative side cabinets and wood beams with modern pendants. A very interesting combination, but I show you how your whites can work with the browns and grays very nicely. I will look for some more tomorrow.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

You might also consider a "pecan wood" look for the main cabinet wall as you face into your kitchen if you haven't selected the cabinetry yet? The "pecan" is a gray beige tone that would blend very well with the look you are trying to achieve. That would be the best way to incorporate your Carrera marble look as well. Then nothing is fighting but rather working together. Not every element in a space has to be "outstanding". You need "supporting players" for everything to work well. What flooring are you considering? Or have you chosen?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Here are a couple photos with the more "pecan wood" look. I also think you will need to incorporate some nice stone with the beige/pecan colors to get that "rustic" look you want.

Mediterranean Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni
    Hope these inspiration photos help you in your decision-making. Also notice that in most of these photos, the range "hood" has white kind of stucco look and wood trim! These details are what makes rooms like your really special. Also notice the use of the stones with the colors you like. The stone brings in that "texture" so often found in European design that we love so much! Enjoy!

• acm
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

1) there's not a "love" button, but there is a "thank" button. :)

2) paint color should be chosen *after* cabinet, counter, flooring, and backsplash -- there are millions of paint colors out there, so they're flexible, while your other finishes are not.

3) right now you have only the marble-look stone (which means quartz; there's no granite anywhere close), even though it's a more refined look than your examples. that leaves you open to choose either gray or white cabinets, but I think antique white is out. both white and gray are very common with marble-look, but I'm not sure pure white will get you to the dustier old-world look you like, so you should probably pursue grays. "driftwood" will also get you some interesting search results.

Tiburon home remodel · Maggiori informazioni

Lake Minnetonka Tailored White Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

Traditonal Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

Kitchen Renovation in Lafayette Square · Maggiori informazioni

Cheviot Drive · Maggiori informazioni

Porfolio Close Up - Home #3 · Maggiori informazioni

This could be a good combination of cabinet colors for you:

Grey Country Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

(click the "more info" link to see the names of cabinets and colors, etc.)

Chestnut Street · Maggiori informazioni

Beachfront Light · Maggiori informazioni

104 Cobblestone · Maggiori informazioni

Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    @flomogan That is actually the color of cabinets I was loving. Now I know what it's called! For flooring I want something like the photo you posted, just hope I can find something like that in my area. Yes I agree with you @acm that was the thing with the white, I didn't see it being the look I was going for, but they are beautiful. I need to check back with my contractor to see why we need a color right now, he did say"basic" color for now, so need to clarify with him.

Thank you all, keep it coming!
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Ok so maybe white cabinets can work if the details are old world?

Like this
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    With the carrera counter top,

Then flooring with travertine pattern? Like this flooring
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

With the pecan/driftwood island and some of the peripheral cabinets in that tone, you can make that work with the Carrera marble look in quartz easily. Just lean more toward the driftwood/gray browns and it will be great. I will hunt for some stone for your flooring. I actually found some a year ago at Lowe's that was perfect for a client's entire main floor! So, you have to kind of hunt around in unlikely places as well. I will look around for you. bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Regina - here is a picture of the Versailles pattern in the Silver Travertine. This can be "sealed" and it is wonderful. BUT, BECAUSE OF THe wide variation in how this stone comes out of the mountain, you have to see actual samples of current material before you finalize and then when you order comes in, you have to inspect the shipment and make sure it is what you are expecting. You also have to be on site when the installation begins and make sure the tillers are laying it out first in a main area to your satisfaction. Sometimes, you have to switch out a couple of tiles for better color distribution. This pattern comes in "bundles" for each "set" so it is a bit tricky and requires experienced installers.

travertine · Maggiori informazioni
    Notice the grays, whites, creams and grays all combine in a beautiful look. The Versailles pattern is a 5-7 size tile pattern that gets repeated. this one has 5 basic shapes I believe.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

the pattern can be done in a variety of sizes and layouts, but here is the basic French Pattern layout. It is hard to get going, but once you get the layout, and keep it fixed in your head it goes well. Need a couple of people, one laying the tile and one handing the tiler the right size and shape and color!

versailles pattern · Maggiori informazioni
    don't worry, they come in "bundles" with the size and placement you select. This pattern lays into each bundle. It is an amazing wonderful look. Usually has larger grout because the edges are generally chiseled. But it is "old world". I put this in my Showcase home I designed and built for my husband and I and it was stunning! Once sealed, just water and a dash of Dawn and done. In fact, vacuuming it up is best and only use water when really needed.

Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Do you have any photos of them at project?? I'd love to see it laid out!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Transitional white kitchen · Maggiori informazioni
    Close to your color palette. The "info" says those floors are Pewter Travertine, but sure looks like Silver Travertine to me. Different companies call this different names, which is why you have to "see" the product and get "current" samples with enough tiles to see the whole pattern and variation.

Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Next questions my cabinets will ash wood... which color stains/ paints better on it, gray or white?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Ash has a pretty substantial grain and it stains beautifully IF YOU LIKE THAT, but it won't be a solid finish only painting will get you that. You could get an interesting affect by staining them a dark gray and then doing a white wash to pick up the graining. That would give you a "French Limed" look. Google techniques and you will see various approaches. If you just want them painted pick a material that is best with paint. Probably depends on the cost factors.

• PRO
    Leo Dowell Designs
    6 anni fa

Just one more comment. When I am designing French Country luxury houses, I go by houses built in the 18th and 19th centuries in France to be authentic as possible. There were no white cabinets used in them. You can certainly use anything you like in your own home, but there is a reason Oldworld keeps coming back into style.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

I am in the camp with Leo. I have traveled extensively in Europe and lived in Brussels and Paris for several years and can attest to this in all my "adventures" into many homes, and all kinds of "country" Chateau's and personal homes of friends. No white anywhere. So, take a look to history for inspiration. You can find whites in Scandinavian and Dutch homes, but not French and Belguim locales. Enjoy your search! If you want to get a feel for color, take a look at Claude Monet's dining room and kitchen in Giverny, France!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa
    Look at this! Money's kitchen and dining room!
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Well we went on to see some open houses for the parade of homes in our area today... and I definitely do not want the cabinets painted white, not really liking the finished matte and dry look.

So now I'm leaning definitely towards gray, if they can be stained gray... if not I don't know what I'm going to do!!!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

They can definitely be stained "gray". I would call the color you want a "driftwood" which is a gray/brown tone. Sometimes "walnut" works, you just have to try samples on the wood you choose, or get the supplier to make samples for your approval.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

I have the silver travertine Flo mentioned. in the Versaille pattern. I love this floor.

don't have better pics, so this is the one right after it was installed

it's mostly the gray/white and some charcoal, but it also has creams/tans. you have to pick the right lot. If I ever redo my kitchen floor, this is what I'm using. It is travertine so it needs to be sealed. you often get pits and holes, so just be aware.

another pic of the stone in 12x24 size.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Entry with window to pool area creating dynamic view upon entering home. · Maggiori informazioni
    This is silver Travertine in Versailles pattern I put in a house and you can see the wide variations. I had to really bird-dog this installation so I got a good mix. We didn't have fixtures in when this photo was taken, so if you look toward the back of the photo it shows more of the true colors which are lighter. Also much lighter than the lot Beth H showed. So, while it is great, you do have to be very involved in getting the exact "lot" with the coloring you love.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 anni fa

gorgeous flo. yes, that has way more tans/browns than mine. I specifically wanted whites/grays, so yes, you must pick through the lot.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

And Beth -- the latest lots have a lot of browns and grays (guess they are following trend), but this used to be very gray, black but not now. I do love it though. It is a great look.

Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I am completely stumped! I want my floors to be stone like, light gray with whites, and beiges, like the travertine, countertops with the white and veining, and now with the cabinets is where I keep going back on forth on.

1) I'm scared that doing the flooring with grays and then doing all my kitchen cabinets gray it will loom to dull

2) if I do all my lower cabinets gray and my upper cabinets white, then they'll have to be painted and I'm scared of them easily chipping and cracking, and looking matte.

3) maybe if do choose white but with silver glazing just along the edges, nothing to rustic looking but simply to give it depth, it can possibly add another layer to enhance the durability? Like the photos I added in

4) the floor plan is very open concept so my kitchen will be viewable from the living area, it's all the main area. I want it to look larger, clean, light, and obviously look stunning! Lol

Kitchen remodel, raised ceiling and addition · Maggiori informazioni

Palm Beach Classic · Maggiori informazioni

Palm Beach Classic · Maggiori informazioni
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Straight Lane Spec · Maggiori informazioni
  • leelee
    6 anni fa

Stick with a solid color for the cabinets. Don't "antique" the cabinets white (don't know if you were referring to a process or a paint color) Paint or stain a single color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

One color for painting. The glazing effect is out of fashion and will date your look. The travertine flooring will NOT be blah. It is gorgeous. I put it in my own home, which was a award winning home and I put it in two other high-end homes I designed. So, you can feel really confident. It gives the Old world look, but has such beauty. My home was a French Country look and it was great. I chose a beige/with gold and white look for that home. I might have a photo around, but you can make this kitchen look great.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

travertine stone versailles pattern · Maggiori informazioni
    This is a poor photo of a photo, but you can see the stone entry of our French Country home. Loved it!!

Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    O no i know I the travertine is not blah, I fear that the floors and cabinets being gray will look dull/gloomy
  • acm
    6 anni fa

But go back to your inspiration shots -- that's exactly what they have: travertine, weathered gray, and cream. Is it gloomy or exactly what you love? Either that's what you want to achieve, or you need to start over with a new set of inspirations, so you can have a specific goal to work toward!

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

Please keep us posted on what you end up doing and what it ends up looking like.

Modern Country Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

• champcamp
    6 anni fa

I am totally following this thread - so many great photos have been shared!! Please keep us posted with what you decide!

Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Lol ok, I'll have a better picture by the weekend hopefully, they are staining and painting samples right now!

I guess my biggest issue with paint or stain is what will look better on the details on the edge of the cabinets, the "decos" not sure if that's the correct term lol. My husband for sure wants that we are totally different tastes... but they say you have to compromise in a marriage so here i am busting my brain on stain or paint! ♀️
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

This is just "the process" of building, so not unusual. Once you get some samples, this will all come together. Stick to your "vision" though because it is a great one!!

Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thank you Flo, you've been so helpful!
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Question maybe you all can answer, this photo you will see that they replied it was a silver glaze... but did he use the glaze as a stain? Or is it painted with a glaze? To my eyes it looks like it's just a stain

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/cabinets-color-dsvw-vd~3173274
  • jbtanyderi
    6 anni fa
    Go rustic in the details: not the colour. Paint those big pantry doors to match the walls.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa
    My pleasure.
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Also if you all know of any stains that replicate the photos please do share, having trouble finding options!
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Ok need other options for my cabinets to have a little bit more samples. What gray paint (sherwin williams/ Benjamin Moore) goes with the carrera countertops
  • connie912
    6 anni fa
    Flo, I am continually amazed by your knowledge and the effort you put into helping others. Our world needs more people like you!
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I have chose stonington gray for my Cabinets, it really looks lighter in my kitchen space. What would you all do with the island? I would like for it to be an accent color
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".