Houzz Logo Print
nichole_petrusopanagopoulos

How would you update this kitchen? (quick fix needed!)

We just purchased a home and are planning a large kitchen/dining/living room reno in a few years. For the time being, I want to put some lipstick on this kitchen to "update" the look. Counters are black granite. What color would you paint these flat cabinets? What color back splash would you add? Any other nifty tips?

Commenti (14)

• PRO
    Savvy Cabinetry Design Interiors
    6 anni fa

First, if you can live with the cabinets, keep them just as is versus investing the proper amount of money and time into painting them.

As others will suggest, change out the countertops if you can and switch to a counter depth refrigerator. With new countertops you can add a simple tile backsplash- say no to the 4" granite backsplash and do all tile.

• everdebz
    6 anni fa

Looks functional and you added organic looks -- wondering if a trash can goes under the counter that extends out?

• everdebz
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Not your question - but if mine, I might buy a transitional DR light instead. $100: Or cheaper, and more fitting with chairs, etc...

Gold Leaf and Champagne Frosted Glass 5-Light Chandelier · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 anni fa

You have a backsplash. Not worth spending money adding something on top of what is there now. Guessing at the color from your photos, but I would paint the cabinets gray…B.M.Horizon: it will compliment the stainless appliances.

If I were planing on a new kitchen in a year or two, personally, I would leave it as is. A good paint job will run you maybe 4 or 5 thousand dollars.

• J J
    6 anni fa
    If you already plan to make major changes, I wouldn't invest in expensive changes. How about a new hanging light as suggested above. Maybe just change cabinet hardware, add a colorful large rug?
  • User
    6 anni fa

I agree to leave it as it is. Add new accessories, maybe switch out the cabinet hardware, maybe the sink faucet. You could condition the cabinets with some lemon oil (if they are solid wood); they look a bit dry.

• Lisa Wallinger
    6 anni fa

Maybe consider changing the floor for a new look? Maybe the floor and countertops to coordinate a new/updated color focus?

• User
    6 anni fa

OR....It looks like you've got a Southwestern theme going....go with it. You can get some handpainted Mexican tiles and add them at the backsplash. These are from MexicanTiles.com. You can also get a good selection from ebay.

• PRO
    Bordeaux Luxury Homes - Professional Remodeling
    6 anni fa

Nichole,

We would suggest painting the cabinets white as a quick fix until you're ready for the big remodel. Also, a glass tile backsplash would accentuate the kitchen nicely.

Finished Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

If you have any questions please reach out,

Bordeaux Luxury Homes

• Kathryn P
    6 anni fa

I'd see if the trim piece running above the window can be removed. I think losing that and the under cabinet paper towel holder is about all I'd change in the short term.

• simstress
    6 anni fa
    What I would do: Replace cabinet hardware, replace black outlets and switches with white square face/Decora style, add a rug, lose the country trim above sink if possible, replace faucet, paint walls. I'd leave the floor, cabinets, countertops, and appliances for the gut job. Good luck!
  • User
    6 anni fa

It's the floor dating the space more than anything else.

Maybe paint a backsplash?

we are waiting a couple of years to change our counters, and so I just painted a backsplash for now and it makes a big difference to the space. It allowed me to bring in a navy that is echoed in other parts of the room it probably looks too dark in this photo but it's easy and cheap to at least try

• Natalie N
    3 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 3 anni fa

Easiest things to do that make the biggest impact:

1) paint cabinets (matt shows more marks if you don't coat)

2) change the handle hardwares (make a huge difference)

3) rug to cover the floors

4) backsplash the kitchen counter

More difficult:

5) you can put wooden vinyl on the floor takes a few hours and cheap or you can paint the tiles to another colour.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".