Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2567466

What color to paint front door?

Cor
6 anni fa

I've tried holding up swatches of yellows and oranges but they just don't seem to work with the stone. I want the door to be a pop of color (currently it is the same color as the shutters). I am not intereted in black. I can't seem to get the right shade of red right.....not that red is the color I am going for, although I am not opposed to it. I need help. Also, this is a southern exposure so lots of hot, direct sun. Thanks for your help.

Commenti (44)

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Your shutters appear to be darker blue. Would you consider a blue/green that is rich..not baby blue

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Have you tried a color such as eggplant? I think your shutters are black?

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Not full on purple, but richer in tone.

Elderberry wine by BM

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Do you keep your storm door on always? I live in the Mid West and have a beautiful front door and finally got rid of it due to it was hiding my pretty door. I miss the screen in Spring and early summer, but love that it's no longer there!

• CLC
    6 anni fa

I think an eggplant color would look great!

• jbtanyderi
    6 anni fa
    The door AND the surround should be the same colour. The details is the surround seem to be lost with the white.
  • PRO
    Candace Plotz Design
    6 anni fa

Agreed. The door and side lights should be painted to have the door pop and provide better scale. My top choice would be an Emerald Green (would work nicely with your landscaping) Benjamin Moore Herb Garden would be a nice option.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa
    I have an alternate idea to painting your door. There are two things that strike me. #1 the landscaping is flat with no interest. I would work on developing a more curved bed around the front and a specimen tree to the left in the yard more encompassed with a bed and seasonal flowers. #2. I would paint the porch trim and pillars the color of your shutters. This would create some contrast and visually "frame" your front door. Add some pots of flowers to the porch and stagger them left to right so you help distract the eye from all your straight lines. Nice house, just a few changes could make a big, good difference.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa
    Notice the clump of birch create much more interest along with the curving and multi flower look to this home. You wouldn't need the patio area but a spot for a cozy bench would be interesting.
  • Cor
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Flo - I am intrigued by your suggestion of painting the pillars the same dark blue as the shutters. What you do not see because it is cut off, is a beautiful Kousa dogwood tree on the left hand corner of the house. The landscaping is a work in progress.

• Cor
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

I was under the impression that the sidelights should be white and the door a color....at least it is that way on all of the houses in my neighborhood. I am going to have to look at some pictures on line to see how it looks all one color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Love Dogwoods. Terrible disease and insect problems have almost killed all in the south. So watch it carefully. Most side lites are the same as the door, because it is considered a "system". So, in any case, do the side lites the same as the door. Storm doors are difficult, but you can get ones that have larger glass so the door shows more. I would either paint or change it so it matches whatever direction you take with paint. I would paint the pillars and that front trim under the soffit and gutters the dark blue as well as along the sides if that trim board continues on the side. Can't see that side. Keep us posted. Glad you are plugging away on landscaping. Of course, that is a never ending project. But so worth it.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    6 anni fa

Landscape yes maybe over time but maybe look for a color that is in the little reddish rock color on the second photo. Do not do black to match your shutters! Yes the pillars need to be a tone other then white to off set. I do see the door has a storm door, that is what you need to paint, your door is kind of hidden from it.

Ken

Cor ha ringraziato Mountain MT Homes LLC
  • Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Yes, the door and sidelights same color.... at least that is the way it is in 99% of the homes in my area and what I am used to seeing. The sidelights will add some interest/dimension if they are all the same color. I've not seen any done the other way except in some occasional photos.

Best to you!

• Cor
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

The shutters on the house are a dark navy blue. If I am going to paint the pillars something other than white and I am leaning towards painting the door green, what color would you paint the pillars? There is no other trim color on the house as everything is white. I was looking at the BM website last night and all their front door photos had the side lights painted white. Hum.......

• Cor
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Do you recommend separating the door beams with white like this picture or paint everything green?

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

I'd probably go with the color of the shutters now that I know they are blue... wasn't sure if black or blue originally... Are you going to paint the upper portion at the peak as well? I think that would be best. Your looking for a blue green door I take it vs. a Christmas green?

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

I see something like this for a pop vs. Christmas green.... very pretty

A giant door knocker and no storm door....

I love the Blue Spa... just a bit more saturation! They are both very pretty.

http://www.signaturehardware.com/pineapple-door-knocker.html

Would look so great... comes in three metal tones,,,

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

You will reduce the impact of your front door if you don't paint the sidelights the same as your door. If you paint the side lights the same as the door, you don't have to paint the pillars and trim, in fact that wouldn't work. Painting the doors green while the shutters are dark blue would be a mistake. You need a complimentary color not a similar color.

• flopsycat1
    6 anni fa

Painting the sidelights does, indeed, increase the impact of the entryway. So many color choices would work. Simple opportunity for a big change. Please post follow-up pics.

Cor ha ringraziato flopsycat1
  • Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Flo, is Spa Blue the same as her shutters? She want a pop....... it has blue and green tones. I think it's a very nice color. vs, Christmas green.

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

This is, "Drizzle" with a darker blue wreath... it's pretty and the front door is more, "fresh" than the typical green.

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Buxton Blue

second in top row, pairs nicely with the darker blue tone adjacent

Cor ha ringraziato Porter Edun
  • Cor
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Ooooh - I do love the Buxton. I do have to be careful because of the cool tones in my stonework. Do you think this would work well with the stones? No one seems to be addressing that - but trust me, when I put up anything yellow or orange, it looks terrible. Any suggestions for a cool green?

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

If you can get a hold of a couple sample squares of each color you may like and tape them together if not BM who has larger sample pieces and see how it looks. If the navy goes well with your surrounding are a blue green should as well.... I just hate to see the typical hunter green or crayon green on your home.

I can look for some cool greens. I thought maybe a little more saturation such as above... let me look.

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

BM Covington blue.... it's cooler, yet not as pretty as above such as Buxton... yet, it's personal opinion and you need to get some samples too :)

not enough saturation in my opinion yet you can get some sample pieces.

I'm sending you a larger picture of a cool green... is this what you think you might like?

Buxton Blue is very pretty.... a green/blue and pops

Drizzle and Spa blue as well are two I think you would like as above.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa
    Flopscat1 hit the nail on the head. Complimentary color to your blue shutters works with stone. Perfect. See how doing sidelights increases the look of the entry. Great visual flopscat1.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa
    By the way, the reason that red works is it has blue undertones. Blue red is best for your house and stone. IMO.
  • Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

The second and third here are nice colors... the second being cooler as you asked.

The third would give more pop yet both are very nice.

The kitchen is Sherwin Williams Copen Blue.....

Hopefully you have a SW paint store you can get some of the cooler: Drizzle, covington blue, reflecting pool, copen blue..... Unfortunately, Buxton is Benjamin Moore

The ones that lean more toward you wanting more green vs. blue green are on this card lower one that is cut off is Palladian... you can see copen blue here too which is SW.

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Copen Blue

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

Raindrop by SW

I feel the copen is too light and bland

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

may very well be wrong as I've been known to be... get some samples and tape them up!!!

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

I look at the rocks and if that is what you lean toward you need something similar to drizzle a richer blue/green... If you like the tone of green you can try some of the more saturated blues with hints of green.... can't hurt!

• groveraxle
    6 anni fa

Cor ha ringraziato groveraxle
  • Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

groveraxle... can you do eggplant? I'm not home at the hospital....

• flopsycat1
    6 anni fa

Grover's blue door looks great. Perhaps red doors are a little overdone. Please....no purple.

• Christy Reves
    6 anni fa

Have you considered painting the front door awning? I would opt to contrast it with a putty color (matching the medium stone color). I also think painting the flashing around the front entrance roof line the color of your shutters or shingles would bring some interest and dimension. What about painting the side lights and front door taupe (the darker color in your stone) and perhaps the medallion. I do think you need larger oversized flower pots and add ample colorful cascading plants. That's where you can introduce your blues or reds. If you want to just do the door and sidelights....a medium grey or tan would work very well. Stunning home. Good luck.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

I am going to add one additional improvement when looking at the landscaping. The stone part of the house looks "added on" then with making the front door an accent color, that could further complicate the view of the house. Perhaps more attention needs to be paid to doing a stone wall to create a long bed across the other side of the house (left looking from front yard.) That would help integrate the two parts of the "house" then a stone pillar on the far right side of the garage would balance things out. Making the door more "pop" could actually make things even more visually confusing.

• Cor
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Flo - a completely agree with your observation about looking 'added on'. The previous owner did indeed request the builder to change out the siding on that area to stone. I was actually leaning toward a taupe color when I taped a chip up that was part of another paint combo. It looked pretty good, pulling the stone color over to the other side.

As far a color, I am kind of leaning towards Raleigh Green by BM.

Grover - is there any chance you could put up Raleigh Green? Thank you if you can.

Porter - Thank you so much for all of your attention and work. I think the aquas look a little too 'beachy' - I live in Amish country out in Lancaster Co, PA.

Christy - I agree, my planters need work! Mine are too small, I think, for the space.

You all are so helpful. I really appreciate it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Do you mean Raleigh Green for the siding of the house or the front door? I'm a bit confused.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 anni fa

Raleigh Green is Historical color, but where do you think you want to put it? It is a darker green? Shutters?

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

You are not too very far from me! I just don't want it to look like the, "flag" even though I certainly do not have anything against the flag. If you go the red route in the final run, hopefully it will lean a bit more Merlot. Raleigh Green is pretty... not too Christmas which is good. Not a ton of pop yet it would look very nice! Even a rich sage would look similar, but a bit different.

Good luck!

• Porter Edun
    6 anni fa

You might look in to the tall planters named, "Fairfield" by Mayne. They are good for our area you can leave them out all year and they work out well for at least several years depending on which direction your house faces as mine is west!

They also come in black yet I don't have a photo... other makers make colors that I have seen that are more extremely bright and not working with our type of home. If you like them I'd go black vs. white so they show up where you have the other planters as your shutters are dark and it would work.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".