Houzz Logo Print
stittdanielle91

Outside space for California bungalow

stittdanielle91
6 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

We need shade over the deck of our California bungalow. We used to have angled wooden slats which allowed sun through during winter but were angled such that they provided shade in summer. They've been demolished because of rot.

We are now considering retractable versus fixed shade. The deck area runs off the living room and is our main view (in the absence of being a waterfront property!). We'd like to use it like a room, mostly when the weather allows. We're also keen to keep the light in the living room given it faces north.

Any suggestions welcome!

Commenti (8)

• PRO
    Vuetrade
    6 anni fa

Check out our ideabook for some pergola/shading ideas... https://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/69917791/thumbs/pergolas

stittdanielle91 ha ringraziato Vuetrade
  • User
    6 anni fa

Depending on your budget, perhaps a Vergola type system? I love the idea of being able to open and close the roof to suit various weather.

stittdanielle91 ha ringraziato User
  • Julie Herbert
    6 anni fa
    I think a retractable awning would look great, then you can have the best of both worlds, lovely area.
    stittdanielle91 ha ringraziato Julie Herbert
  • PRO
    Cordony Group
    6 anni fa

Check out our project:Enhanced 1920s Californian Bungalow for inspiration!

Mabel Street, Willoughby · Maggiori informazioni
    Mabel Street, Willoughby · Maggiori informazioni

stittdanielle91 ha ringraziato Cordony Group
  • PRO
    Wildly Illuminating
    6 anni fa

I too have a California bungalow, and I have the same sum concerns. I'm looking at sail shades, so they can go up in summer and come down in winter.

stittdanielle91 ha ringraziato Wildly Illuminating
  • antonia_d
    6 anni fa
    Agree with Mel N, I have a vergola and it is brilliant. It's attached to the deck of our 1940's home. It adds another room to the home. When the louvres are opened we also have plenty of sunshine.
    stittdanielle91 ha ringraziato antonia_d
  • PRO
    Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
    6 anni fa

Hi

You have a lovely aspect facing north for your main living area. A motorised retractable awning would give you the best of both worlds- shade when you need it in the summer hot days and allow lovely winter sun and light in when not in use. You can get some great outdoor fabrics on these that look great. an automatic sensor will retract the blind if it gets windy.

Here are a few examples

Flip/Flop House(S) · Maggiori informazioni

Luigi Rosselli Architects - Paddington Terrace House · Maggiori informazioni

Residential · Maggiori informazioni
    Best wishes

stittdanielle91 ha ringraziato Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".