Houzz Logo Print
gisella_castronovo

How did you use the corner space?

Gisella C
7 anni fa
We have same corner in our countertop, with the sink close to the corner, like in this picture.
I wonder if: 1 . trash can would fit under the sink; 2. how to use the storage in the corner space under the countertop?
Bentwood Drive Residence Kitchen 1 · Maggiori informazioni

Commenti (3)

• PRO
    mackmiller design+build
    7 anni fa

Hi Gisella, Thanks for the questions. Fitting the trash under the sink is not impossible. It requires planning to move the plumbing as far back as possible. We also try to use a sink with the drains more to the back of the sink rather than centered in the bowls. Since most people have rethought what it means to the environment when using a disposal they no longer use their garbage disposal as a primary way to dispose of their organic waste. Getting a smaller disposal is fine for occasional use and it frees up space under the sink to allow for a recycle or trash container. Note that the two trash containers are of different sizes because of the space restrictions. If you are thinking of a trashcan with a lid you would have to measure your space to see. Our main reason for keep trash and recycling under the sink is that we do not want to loose a valuable base cabinet for this purpose. And you would never put pots, pans, dishes or food under the sink.

Regarding the space in the corner in this kitchen, it is accessed from the back side of the peninsula. That cabinet has four rollouts in it and no drawer. If your corner is against two walls forget about the space and use rollouts adjacent cabinets. The simple reason for this is that no matter how you try to access it, it is clumsy and inefficient. And because of that it just becomes a little used and stores junk we forget about.

A more technical reason is that we have analyzed the merits of lazy susans, angled drawers and the all the various permutations and found that 99% of the time you are better off to forget the four square feet of tough to get to space and not use the two square feet on each side of the corner (four square feet total) to access it. If you are interested in learning more about this, send an email to mark@mackmiller.com and I will send you a PowerPoint presentation that I shared at our local NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry) chapter. The math doesn't lie:)

I hope this answers your questions. Best of luck in your remodeling project. -- Mark

• PRO
    Cecilia Stolzer-Grote/The Cabinet Center
    3 anni fa

Can you share the source for the pull-out? Thank you, Cecilia

• PRO
    mackmiller design+build
    3 anni fa

Hi Cecilia,

My custom cabinetmaker made them for me. They work best if sink baskets are located to the back of the sink and you use a small disposal like a 1/2 horse. This allows the biggest waste container. Otherwise you have a much smaller waste container in front of the disposal side.

It's a great way to use the space and gain some premium base cabinet space that would have gone to other base cabinet trash options.

Best of luck.

Mark

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".