Houzz Logo Print
jmarwah

is rug going to be too big for very small living/dining combo?

J M
7 anni fa

I have a very, very, small living/dining area, in total the room is about 12' x 15', including a small hallway connecting to the kitchen area. The living area by itself (just sofa & furniture) is about 7x12, and the remaining dining area (white table and chairs) is about 6x12.

I'd like to replace the white shag rug with a reddish persian style rug.

I want to define a strong living room space and I'm of two minds:

1) Smaller - get a new rug about the same size as the current white rug (ie. about 6 1/2 x 4 1/2) and keep the same placement; in this case, just the feet of all the furniture would sit on the rug; or

2) Go big & cover whole living area with a larger rug, like 8x6 (or even 9x7) and place it in opposite orientation, so the long end runs from the sofa all the way towards the beige curtain panels; in this case, the sofa, dark grey chair and cabinet would all be on the rug

The challenge is that the living and dining areas are very close to each other, and i'm not sure if i can have a big rug without it looking odd in close proximity to the dining table.

Is option #2 going to be too big?

Thanks all.

cheers

jm

Commenti (12)

• happyleg
    7 anni fa

Yes for larger rug. Try a oval or round coffee table. Lucite?

• jansgirl
    7 anni fa

Yes, bigger. An 6 x 8 will be the same width as the white shag is now but will be 4 feet longer if you change the direction. It will tuck under the couch (as it should ) and then extend about three more feet toward the beige panels. It won't be any closer to your dining area than it is now. It will look great!

• J M
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks. The concern is that a larger rug would go all the way to the baseboards (wall with painting on it), and come up right next to the dinning table. Not sure if that will make the space look cramped, or if it'd pull the living area together? I 've added another pic so you can see how close both living/dinning areas of the room are.

• jansgirl
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Thanks for the other picture-I was turned around on the orientation of the room. The majority of your larger rug would be going under your sofa and aqua chair ....not out into the dining area. Am I confused? A comment on your artwork and excuse me for being nit picky (!) but it should be hung about 7" above the back of your sofa.

• J M
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks, the longer part of the rug would be going out towards the black chair / beige curtain panels, and likely all the way to the wall (with painting). The aqua chair would have front feet on the rug.

• jansgirl
    7 anni fa

I wasn't changing the direction of the rug. Opps! Leave the bigger rug in the same orientation the current rug is in and it wouldn't go into the dining room but , to me, would tie the furniture together better.

• happyleg
    7 anni fa

Show us updates.

• happyleg
    7 anni fa

Lower art 6 or 12 inches from couch.

• PRO
    Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
    7 anni fa

Love your teal/aqua chair! Just wanted to throw out that "standard" Persian rugs are usually around 4.5-5x7-7.5, then 6.5-7x9.5-10. Wouldn't want you to fall in love with an idea and then not be able to find anything!

• J M
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks for the carpet tips. Those sizes would be ok, and there appears to be some variation 6" here or there on some rugs that I've seen. It doesn't have to be an exact fit, but more about having a smaller area rug (like i currently have), or having a larger rug to cover up the entirety of the living room area.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 anni fa

Probably too late to comment, but I would distinguish each space with its own rug.

Storm-Ready Victorian 2 · Maggiori informazioni

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".