Houzz Logo Print
gadot12

Is navy/ dark blue for cabinets in for 2017?

gadot12
7 anni fa

I'm so confused now! GRAY OR BLUE? I want everything to flow well looking nice and clean. HELP!

Commenti (34)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

You only do a kitchen for what you like, and that has a reasonable longevity. Unless you want to remodel a kitchen every time the color wind blows. That's the reason there are so many white kitchens.

gadot12 ha ringraziato JAN MOYER
  • Najeebah
    7 anni fa
    Ignore what's 'in'. You're not styling a showroom for a few months, you're styling your house for hopefully many years, so do what works for you
    with some more information, people will be better able to advise you. what do you currently have, what's in adjoining areas, what is your house's style, kitchen's style, how much natural light is there?
    gadot12 ha ringraziato Najeebah
  • gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Najeebah very wise advice! Thank you totally agreed!

• gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

I keep leaning to dark gray, white and concrete combinations.

• Bailey R
    7 anni fa

Agree, go with what you like, what's "in" today will be out very soon. Btw, for what it's worth, saw a few VERY high end houses recently that had been remodeled & redecorated, all were done in nothing but neutrals ... light naturals , taupe, , darker woods , browns & driftwood tones , very subdued colors. Interesting.

gadot12 ha ringraziato Bailey R
  • gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

I like to mix different texture and colors but someone said it will make it too busy to look at which I absolutely agree! But how to combine them so it flows well.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 anni fa

Navy blue has been used for the last 5-8 years as a "fresh" take on espresso, black or gray. It has been used "sparingly" in the design centres which means it will look "fresh" for a LOT LONGER than a gray kitchen (gray is running out of steam already). Depending on the style you are going for and the depth of the blue, I would say you will have a fresh looking kitchen for a long time.

Gray is already fading on the world stage. Gray or greige has been around for more than a decade. First it was greige, then it was dark gray, then it was light gray and now we are into the "pale gray that is almost white". Gray is losing it's power to "wow".

As far as I can tell, blue in a kitchen has remained a fresh take on the gray/black/white monochromatic looks we have right now. If you like it, go for it.

gadot12 ha ringraziato Cancork Floor Inc.
  • Donna Volpone
    7 anni fa

My daughter and I went to a Homearama last year and EVERY house was done in shades of gray inside and out. After seeing that I concluded that it was a fad and will be "out" soon, if not already. Go with what YOU love however, unless you plan to sell in the not too distant future. In that case I would definitely NOT do dark blue.

gadot12 ha ringraziato Donna Volpone
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

House Beautiful doesn’t think it is “out”. I think it is fun and gorgeous. Remember all the beautiful blue and white china that has been with us for hundreds of years. LOVE!

gadot12 ha ringraziato JudyG Designs
  • Porter Edun
    7 anni fa

Yes, DO WHAT U LIKE! If you like a very dark blue Hale Navy is beautiful!

gadot12 ha ringraziato Porter Edun
  • PRO
    M&M Interiors
    7 anni fa

I love the blue! I say go for it! I always tell me clients, the kitchen is the heart of the home- do what you love so that every time you go into that room, it makes you happy!

gadot12 ha ringraziato M&M Interiors
  • Annette Vusich
    7 anni fa
    I had a navy blue kitchen in the nineties and I loved it. I say go for it!
    gadot12 ha ringraziato Annette Vusich
  • Najeebah
    7 anni fa
    I disagree with those who say grey is a fad. I think it falls into the category of toilet paper over or under; there will always be people ib both camps

the point remains, if you like grey, go grey. same for blue. there are other options though
    you can do a greyish-blue/ blue-ish-grey
    or you can have some cabinets blue, others grey
    or you can have blue cabinets and grey appliances, fixtures, fittings, counters, etc.
    You're not limited to just counters, in your kitchen design
  • Kassi Kelley McKamey
    7 anni fa
    Not knocking gray , but it's been a top color for the last 7 years or so (maybe longer!). I love the blue!!! Go for it!

Also don't worry about the trend. Navy blue is popular also.
    gadot12 ha ringraziato Kassi Kelley McKamey
  • gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you all! I saw some kitchen pictures and they did show gray still lingering but I have a feel it's been replaced by either black( esp appliances in black stainless) or wood grains! But true what the heart goes for that's what it should be. I like blue gray and feel I can live with it . Very big discovery I had was went to a contemporary design showroom Ikea, and reality hit me there. I was thinking of darker island, well folks! Beware. It looked like an eye sore in the middle of a beautiful kitchen. You won't glance at it twice. What mostly drew me to was a off White Island with a concrete/ clamshell countertop. I kept going back to it.

it was very big but pleasing to the eye and softer look.

I'll post pics soon.

• gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Here's my favorites! That's the palette I love. Pls help me select which surface goes well with cabinets, and which should be on the island. Floors maybe dark or gray. I'm leaning towards gray.

• gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Accents can be navy, or wood texture or backsplash.

• gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Shall I do concrete type perimeter counters and pure White Island counter or vice versa? Perimeter cabinets will be off white and island could be off white or beige.

• Najeebah
    7 anni fa
    I think have BOTH cabinets (island and walls) off white.
    you risk too many tones otherwise, and will have more cohesion and flow with the cabinets the same.

Also note that your layout, adjoining rooms, lighting, and other factors play a role in the final look, just as these factors affect the look in a showroom
    can we see the space you're working with, pics of the actual space or a sketch of the layout you want

you've posted a picture of two countertops, clamshell and, is it the concrete one?
    I think both look good but my personal preference is the darker one, though it would depend on how it works with other materials.
    you could possibly use both, but again, it would depend on the look of everything as a whole

denim and wood accents with grey and off white can look great.
    don't finalise any materials individually, see them all together before finalising
  • km kane
    7 anni fa
    I am so sick of grey! In my new build, my cabinets are blue. I have no idea if that's the current trend, I just like it.
    gadot12 ha ringraziato km kane
  • User
    7 anni fa
    Navy Blue is my favorite color!!!
    gadot12 ha ringraziato User
  • gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks guys! Great help! Yeah I'm running away from gray cabinets too. More neutrals. Saw they are using blue/ turquoise and wood tones. I'm doing white cabinets perimeter and uppers. Countertop light gray/ concrete. Island countertop pure white. Shall I do the cabinets one side of island beige and the other light wood? Have an appliance / cabinets wall. I'm thinking of beige with stainless steel appliances. Adding a small table to island, I'll use blue there as chairs. My thing is use trendy colors in accents which are easily changeable! Keep basic structure neutral but textured and interesting! What say? Ant suddestions for appliance wall cabinets color and island?thanks in advance

• PRO
    Samantha Price
    7 anni fa
    I like to call grey " the forgotten neutral". It came in strong, people were getting tired of the browns and tans. But as a neutral, it will never truly be "out". Just because it's not "in" style doesn't mean it's "out" of style. A brown and tan neutral pallets isn't " in " style right now, but it's not out either. Neutrals are always going to be safe, and with that being said, Navy blue is a real close substitute for a neutral. I think it also has a very timeless quality to it.
    gadot12 ha ringraziato Samantha Price
  • gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

So I guess I incoperate gray as a ' neutral' and use navy as accent. I also want to stay away from beiges and browns as my current kitchen is just that! Love white/ off white. Thank you

• gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Also seeing black a lot what about that? I'm not a big fan

• gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

This is my color palette

• cpaul1
    7 anni fa

I would never recommend doing a random color (whether it's on trend or not) for something so large (not only in actual space, but expense as well) as kitchen cabinets. Find another (smaller, cheaper) way to do something funky, or have it in your budget to redo them when you're sick of that color or you're trying to sell it.

gadot12 ha ringraziato cpaul1
  • Najeebah
    7 anni fa
    cpaul, the op's moving in that direction. skim the comments above and join in :)
  • PRO
    Hadley House Interiors
    7 anni fa

Go with what you like! That said, Navy Blue is considered to be a neutral color. Try it... it really does go with any other color! ;)

gadot12 ha ringraziato Hadley House Interiors
  • gadot12
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

I kind do agree with cpaul1 as not to invest in a 'color trend' into a major project in a big way! I'm also hesitant of using it for expensive areas like the cabinets. I might use it as an accent in a neutral environment! That will have more presence than a eye sore later if some other color becomes a trend. I have noticed various shades of gray have become a part of the neutral palette. The question is which where?

• Grace O' Malley
    7 anni fa

A classic blue is always in style.

gadot12 ha ringraziato Grace O' Malley
  • Najeebah
    7 anni fa
    regarding various shades oc grey as part of a neutral pallet, that is true, but what you need to avoid is having too many of these shades, or you lose the effect of all the decor, in the distraction of many shades of one colour
  • PRO
    Blinds-US
    7 anni fa

what you like that matters !!!! and belive me they are totally in !!!

gadot12 ha ringraziato Blinds-US
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".