Houzz Logo Print
aadams4251

1930s renovation - creating a modern retro vibr

aadams4251
7 anni fa
I'm buying a 1930s cottage style house which needs a full renovation. I like geometric designs and art Deco therefore want to create a modern retro twist in the front room. I've bought a John Lewis Barbican leather sofa that reflects this style therefore want to design around it. it's a long room which is fairly dark despite being south facing due to a sloping front garden and trees that I'm planning to remove.

in particular there's a fireplace which I'm tempted to remove as had been built crudely with lots of bricks and slabs and dominate the room, or perhaps restore it by plastering over the bricks and polishing the copper hood???

will sand the original Parquet floor and hopefully find a light varnish to lighten the floor

was thinking of doing a feature wall using metallic silver geometric wallpaper to formally background to the TV and a retro 30s curvef white TV cabinet.... what do you think?

Commenti (34)

• aadams4251
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    in the hallway outside am planning to paint woodwork white, keep railing as is, add a glass cluster pendant light plus large rennie macintosh style mirror to bounce light around as once again is really dark. not sure what to paint the walls as want to inject some colour ... perhaps light grey with multicoloured stripe carpet on staircase and brightly upholstered hallway bench and rug?
  • aadams4251
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    in the hallway outside am planning to paint woodwork white, keep railing as is, add a glass cluster pendant light plus large rennie macintosh style mirror to bounce light around as once again is really dark. not sure what to paint the walls as want to inject some colour ... perhaps light grey with multicoloured stripe carpet on staircase and brightly upholstered hallway bench and rug?
  • Resh
    7 anni fa
    Do not demolish that! That copperhood is amazing (and if you don't want it, message me as I will buy it from you!)

Paint the brick an interesting colour, polish the copper to complement it.
  • Resh
    7 anni fa
    The hearth is admittedly ugly. Replace with a functional slate one if actually using the fire. If not using a fire, and just decorative, polished white marble to set off that copper...a kitchen worktop company can make one for you, maybe even from offcuts if you can put up with more than one piece of stone making up the hearth.
  • aadams4251
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    ok thanks Suresh... will give it a try and see if I can transform it first .. could always remove it later if it doesn't work out ;o).. good suggestion for the hearth so will see what I can find...
  • aadams4251
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    what colour on the bricks do you think would complement polished copper? beige/stone/grey? white might look too stark?
  • Lauren
    7 anni fa

I love a feature fireplace but looking above the line of brickwork its evident that originally the chimney breast was much smaller. Given this doesn't look like a large space I would remove all of the later additions (definitely preserve and sell the copper hood though). You may get lucky and find the original fireplace behind the brickwork or you can look around a local reclamation yard or even local ebay for a fireplace thats more in keeping with the 1930's style. I think this would be worth it just to regain the extra few inches in space!

Definitely keep the picture rails and I think they look great painted the same colour as whatever you pick for the walls. Hang art/mirrors from picture hooks on brass chains to really channel the 30's vibe. I have some artist renderings of what the interiors of the 30's houses round me would have looked like for inspiration.

• PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 anni fa

hi

I love Art deco and I think your sofa choice is fabulous.

The style was a great fan of metal but I think that the current fire surround dominates the room and so I would go for replacing it with something more in keeping and smaller!

Art deco was very stylised with lots of mouldings and shapes so don't lose the picture rails.

I have put a link here for a fabulous Art Deco wallpaper - it is in subtle shades with some metallics, which will help reflect light around the room.

Use wallpaper sparingly to make a feature to keep things modern, although this is light enough to be used around the room if you wanted.

https://www.iwantwallpaper.co.uk/holden-gatsby-arch-pattern-wallpaper-art-deco-retro-vintage-40s-metallic-embossed-65252-p3832

always happy to give direct advice or work out a mood scheme - check out my website www.edenhomesolutions.co.uk

j

• User
    7 anni fa
    I agree with Lauren. If the idea is to preserve or recreate a 1930s feel, the fireplace will need to go. It's not original - possibly a 70s or 80s addition. The pictures she's posted are a good indication of what to go for. Having said that I'm not one to keep original features for the sake of it. If I did I'd be sitting in a cow shed right now! Why not polish up the fireplace and then see how you feel?
  • aadams4251
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    hmm ... just asked a few colleagues at work and they also feel that it's too dominant for such a small room...

just seen a lovely metallic art Deco fireplace on ebay which could fit this narrow chimney breast

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/232270767297
  • PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 anni fa

wow!

that is beautiful and would be a talking point for all the right reasons!

• aadams4251
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks Eden... I've seen that wallpaper before will definitely use it now that you've also spotted it ... probably as a feature wall behind the TV... or perhaps along the long wall opposite the window behind the sofa
  • PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 anni fa

Fabulous!

I am sure that your new style lounge is going to be stunning.

• aadams4251
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Hi just to provide an update... I did remove the ugly fireplace and replaced it with an original one which looks much better... I'm not sure what colours to paint room ?

I was considering duck egg with off-white but need it to feel bright and welcoming so perhaps yellow to match the tiles?
  • Sonia
    6 anni fa
    I am so glad you ripped the whole lot out! I didn't have the heart to say do that as we all have different tastes, and in fact the copper hood was the worst bit....... Wall colour? I think a calm neutral is best and means you can jazz up the room with colourful cushions, curtains and maybe a nice rug. I really like Dulux Egyptian Cotton, a nice calm mushroomy grey. If you want a warmer hue to match the tiles, Elderflower Tea is a gentle cream. Lovely fireplace by the way! Good luck with the rest of your refurb.
  • Carolina
    6 anni fa
    Beautiful!

I'd go for a slightly warm white.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 anni fa

No yellow please! You have enough wood in room. Try something that compliment wood. Gray, blue or sage.

b0425e196936cf1b6c47ed94fde53899.jpg (550×550) · Maggiori informazioni

• aadams4251
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thanks for your comments everyone... ok i will take the plunge and do feature walls with something similar to duck egg but keep the rest light with an off white ... I'll let you know how it goes and hey it's only paint so i can always repaint it ;o)
  • aadams4251
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    hmm... actually I may go for morrocan inspired? in the 1930s there was a time when travel was a huge theme in interior design so could make all the walls off white and bring in a few metallic features .... I'm thinking of....
  • aadams4251
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    stuff like this that I have already... um yes I think this will work i will send photos when done ;o)
  • Jonathan
    6 anni fa
    I think the new fireplace is lovely.... is it too late to put a heart in? In my opinion your builder should have put the hearth down then put the cast iron surround on top of it.
    As far as colour- I agree that cool blue greys will look great. Have you taken delivery of the sofa? Can you swap this to grey?
  • Sonia
    6 anni fa
    That looks so lovely and fresh and bright, well done. And where were you hiding that gorgeous floor - stunning!
  • andrewbooton
    6 anni fa
    Such potential! Good luck with your project. It's going to be beautiful. Please keep us posted.
  • Carolina
    6 anni fa

Looks fab!

• leslie2904
    6 anni fa
    Tear out the fireplace, it's hideous, replace with a wood burner and a simple white stone surround.
  • ruthfrench
    6 anni fa

This is lovely. Your fireplace is now in proportion. It looks so good in this space! Good luck with the rest of your house.

• vintage1972
    6 anni fa

Osmo Poly X will seal the beautiful floor. They do a white tinted one if you want it to look ligher.

• aadams4251
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Hi vintage I wish I u commented earlier as my builder user clear varnish as easier to maintain but finish not so great as has darkened the floor... to late to redo it now so will have to wait to the next time!
  • ruthfrench
    6 anni fa

Keep the faith. You have good instincts. By the time you have added furniture and maybe a rug or two your lovely floor will have taken its proper place in the room. Thank you for posting your progress and good luck with future thoughts. The improvement in this room is stunning!

• Martin Knight
    6 anni fa

Hi, Your room looks massively better stripped back to the original. I've got a black marble hearth that the people who bought my old house didn't want. If you're near Canterbury you're welcome to it. I'm going to South Manchester soon so cold possibly drop it off if you're en route. I'll see if I can get a photo later.

• amypops
    6 anni fa

Have a look at the 40s-inspired wallpaper range from.Farrow and Ball. I was thinking Arcade in particular ; we're about to use it in our bedroom.

• abby_stevens44
    6 anni fa
    Looking forward to seeing the finished room! We've just bought a 1930's house, and i'm very unsure about decorating with the picture rail. Absolutely in love with the house, but a very different style for us!
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".