Houzz Logo Print
nicola_hassall

Advice please on proposed extension!

Hi all. We have just had our plans drawn up an extension. our house is a 1930s semi, currently with a very small kitchen. the plan is to have a single story extension running along the back of the property for our new kitchen and dining area (linking to an exisiting living room) and double story extension at the side for small store and utility downstairs with a bedroom, ensuite and study upstairs. the plans give us everything we've asked for, but not sure if we'll end up with dead space in between the island and dining area. would welcome any comments or suggestions before we put in for planning! thanks

Commenti (8)

• PRO
    Duke of Design
    7 anni fa

Hi Nicola, you are quite right. It will create a dead space. ok, hard to explain this. But the design is creating too many out of sync 'corners'. What do you think about extending the wall counter till the island kitchen. Orienting the dining table to the middle of the pier between your two doors.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 anni fa
    Hello. Exciting times ahead for you then! Glad your plans are coming together.
    I agree with above that if you change the orientation of the table and move this to better fit the space it should work well. It will be a stunning space once it's finished! I think upstairs is fine if you want the en-suite room for a guest bedroom where not much else if needed in the space otherwise I took would look at reconfiguring the space to get an en-suite in the larger room.
    Has your architect done any 3Ds with your space planning - they really help show you the layout and how you can use it.
  • Nicola Hassall
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    thanks everyone. I agree that having the table the other way round works better and I like the idea of centering it in between the doors. extending the kitchen cupboard to line up with the island is also something I'll look at
  • Nicola Hassall
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    upstairs suits us for the moment but eventually I think we will turn the small front bedroom into an ensuite. really helpful suggestions, thanks!
  • LTS
    7 anni fa
    What about turning the island 90 degrees and having corner seating?
  • PRO
    Douglas Strachan - Chartered Architect Midlothian
    7 anni fa

The proposals look good. There's something to be said for allowing a bit of space between things to allow free flow, but I can understand why this might be considered "dead-space". The suggestion to rotate and re-centre the dining table is good, but I would be concerned about how this would relate to the window/door positions.

I would endorse the suggestion of asking your Architect to produce some 3D visuals for you, as this is something we find works well with our clients. If they do so, it would be good to ask them about the relationship between the dining table and light sources.

• Jonathan
    7 anni fa
    Because of where the upstairs pipework is I think that when you need an ensuite it might be more cost effective to make the family bathroom into the ensuite and make the study into the family bathroom.
    This might influence your furniture buying now
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".