Houzz Logo Print
clementhill

Wood cabinets, which wood to use?

clementhill
7 anni fa

Hi all, We can't decide on what wood to use for our kitchen and bath cabinets. Our trim is bold and dark, espresso colored. White walls. Gray tile in the kitchen and bath. Golden oak hardwood floors... But what to do about the cabinets? I love cherry with a clear finish. But my husband can't stand not KNOWING what they will look like in a few years as they age. I say, SO WHAT! But he's firm about that. So now we're looking at alder...and staining it. :-( I want natural! But he thinks we need a 'cooler' wood tone to not clash with the golden oak hardwood floors and the espresso trim. I say, WARM. I have no idea if I've given enough info so please feel free to let me know.

Thank you everyone, love this forum! Mary

PS - Here's the floors and trim for reference.

Commenti (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 anni fa

I agree a painted cabinet would be a better choice .

• clementhill
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you Jan and Patricia. I was actually considering painted since I'm dealing with a type A spouse. :-) BUT...we had painted cabinets for the past 20 years or so and I'm kinda over them. They take more upkeep, can get scratched and the paint can react to prolonged use by dirty fingertips...unless using handles. I figure, once it's painted, you're stuck with painted. Forever. Plus, I am ready for natural...natural woods and natural tones. I think a medium to light warmish wood would be perfect...but which wood with a clear finish is going to NOT darken very much. Cherry darkens. And it has a lot of inclusions. Ugh. I'll keep at this! Thanks so much again!

• kjoy1
    7 anni fa

I love the look of rustic alder cabinets:) This warm tone would look nice with your flooring...and with its dark knots and dark hardware...it would look nice with dark trim as well.

• clementhill
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Love it! I"m going to do some research on alder now. :-) Thank you for the idea kjoy!

• clementhill
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Well, did some research on alder and it's interesting....with a clear finish though it looks like it'll be very pale. Are there any woods that will be a little richer in color naturally and won't change color much with time? A clear finish is our preference. Though we can go with staining...just trying to keep it simple and more natural. I'm so grateful for the ideas, thanks everyone!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".