Houzz Logo Print
curly1girl

1960s dividing doors - what to do ?

Hazel Sephton
7 anni fa
Ultima modifica:7 anni fa

Hi, we have a 1960s house, complete with glazed dividing doors which we never use, but equally they are not in the way. The pelmet above is ugly so if we kept the doors it would have to be replaced but what with ? We are ready to decorate the room, should we ; Remove them all together or Update them in some way - maybe a grey paint & some new pelmet.(but how & what) suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance x

Commenti (10)

• whippet girl
    7 anni fa
    Can we have a photo of the pelmet?
  • A B
    7 anni fa

I like them...

Hazel Sephton ha ringraziato A B
  • Daisy England
    7 anni fa
    It all goes round in a circle. I'd keep them. They'll be back in fashion very soon.
    Hazel Sephton ha ringraziato Daisy England
  • J C
    7 anni fa
    I'd keep them too, but replace the glass with plain glass and paint all the woodwork a lovely dark grey ( F&B down pipe) with the walls in a lighter grey ( ammonite) or similar. Think they'd look great then!
    Hazel Sephton ha ringraziato J C
  • PRO
    Persona Abode
    7 anni fa
    I suggest that you keep the doors. They just need to be updated with a fresh coat of paint to match the walls and plain glass inserted. The pelmet may just need to be replaced also.

Updating track and hardware (a modern handle) would make a difference to how the doors look too.
    Hazel Sephton ha ringraziato Persona Abode
  • PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

I too would keep the doors, but replace the glass. What's in them probably isn't up to today's safety standards, and clear glass would look a lot nicer. With regards the pelmet i'd paint that the same colour as the doors. You can't really see it close enough to see what's wrong with it or how it's made. There are ways of changing how the doors are hung, you could always get a carpenter round to make suggestions.

Another way of painting, would be to have them exactly the same as the wall colour, with the clear glass, they are then less of a feature as they will blend. Personally i'd go for this option.

Hazel Sephton ha ringraziato User
  • Mulchie
    7 anni fa
    I like them too. I think they go quite nicely with your mid-century-ish style furniture. Paint them, change the glass but definitely keep them.
  • PRO
    1016 Developments
    7 anni fa
    Hi, I believe that the pocket door system is the way forward for you, if you would like to keep the rooms partially separated. We have installed a number of these systems over the last year and I think that they're great. If you do go for them make sure that you get the soft close action. I wouldn't recommend reusing the original track as the weight of the new door may accelerate the tracks demise and you won't be able to get to it for the new stud wall that hides all the workings. Good luck with your project.
    Hazel Sephton ha ringraziato 1016 Developments
  • Midcenturylass
    7 anni fa
    If you live in a 60s house, i would keep the doors, they're in keeping with your property. You could change the glass if you like and give them a fresh coat of paint.
    Hazel Sephton ha ringraziato Midcenturylass
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".