Houzz Logo Print
a_m_b_a

thoughts on my fireplace

a_m_b_a
7 anni fa

Looking for ideas on what to do with the fireplace. Eg, render it, clad it, etc. I want to lower the mantle piece and change the hearth. Perhaps a window seat on the right as you look at it? Any thoughts welcomed

Commenti (16)

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 anni fa

Yes, lower the mantle it looks high and use sandstone for hearth.

I would probably clad the brick in sandstone as well. Render and paint would look quite good but I'd dare say it would be knocked and chip off render over a year or so.

I do like window seats as well!

a_m_b_a ha ringraziato MB Design & Drafting
  • KK1000
    7 anni fa
    I would try painting first if you don't like it you can always clad it later. While you're painting put some paint on those pelmets or just take them down, it looks to heavy for the room, get some simple blinds or curtains.
    a_m_b_a ha ringraziato KK1000
  • User
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

It looks like some bricks have been removed from the front also, perhaps get them repaired. Cladding in sandstone would look great, I think you can get sandstone veneer in a crazy paving pattern now.

Reclaimed wood mantel would look good too.

Beware the sandstone hearth, they stain dreadfully with ash and ember. Slab of a lighter colour polished granite would blend with sandstone.

I can see your wood basket too- what ever you build to the right perhaps integrate wood storage into it?

a_m_b_a ha ringraziato User
  • User
    7 anni fa

Cape Cod - Cotuit; Shoot Styling · Maggiori informazioni

Rancho Santa Fe · Maggiori informazioni

• siriuskey
    7 anni fa

amba I agree with the window seat but on both sides,

Natural bricks can look great perhaps with a raised hearth in matching bricks

Like the high mantel, especially if you raise the hearth level up to the two lots of free standing bricks in the fireplace

Bricks and mantel could be lime washed, bagged and white washed

Remove the Pelmets or paint into wall colour above the window seats

a_m_b_a ha ringraziato siriuskey
  • PRO
    AKL Improvement Services
    7 anni fa

Its a definite blank canvas the sky's the limit, anything can be done to it depending on budget.

Possibilities:

Simply paint bricks in a textured paint to cladding with stone or tiles (tiles have come along way and it not just the standard gloss white 200x200)

Mantle traditional timber or 2-Pak painted

Shelves or TV mounted to chimney breast.

Side cupboards with benchtop or window seats (as already suggested)

Hearth again stone or tiles

There is also gas or wood fire inserts, that could also finish off look. To help with ideas please follow our linkGallery

a_m_b_a ha ringraziato AKL Improvement Services
  • PRO
    green design & consulting
    7 anni fa

a_m_b_a

Firstly, I would start with the cheapest option. Give the fireplace a lick of paint. You can do this yourself at a minimal cost and this may give you the look you're after. If it doesn't, then you haven't wasted a lot of money on cladding, render or anything else you may be thinking of.

Secondly, don't touch the pelmets. Paint them yes so they don't stand out as much, but pelmets are there for more than just hiding curtain rods. They actually help circulate the air in the room as well as help minimise heat loss. If they aren't a sealed pelmet, I would look at sealing them. Also get rid of the blinds ans install some heavy curtains. This will also stop heat loss through your window.

Other than those two things, have a look at some of the images on Houzz to give you an idea of what you can do.

The window seat is a fantastic idea and I would definitely put one in.

Most of all have fun with it. Don't be scared to try something different. Whatever you do, can always be changed if you don't like it. I know this isn't everyone's taste, but I would possibly go with a bright coloured paint as well. Make it a focal point of the room, instead of just a heating element. Going a bright orange or lime green would really set it off.

Enjoy...

Giuliano

green design & consulting

a_m_b_a ha ringraziato green design & consulting
  • User
    7 anni fa

Looking at the brick- I think you could easily leave it and with some minor changes bring a MCM look to the room. It looks like a 60-70's house, so would have the bones for that look to begin with, so you are "working with what you already have".

The cheapest and easiest thing you could do is go to BBQ Galore and buy a couple cans of fireplace paint in black- paint the entire inner of the firebox black- it will look much cleaner- the soot will still be there, but you won't see it. Paint the fire grate while you are at it.

Then you could paint the fire mantel in a matte black also. Buy some accent decor pieces to go in it - something gold, while marble, perhaps an indoor plant to hang down. Some nice brass fire tools.

• a_m_b_a
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you all so much. You have all given me ideas I had not thought of, greatly appreciated. Yes, my wood container is currently an old laundry basket, so does need replacing ;-). and I will paint the pelmets, they are horrid as is and there are Venetian blinds which will be going too. I like the idea of painting the interior of the fireplace black and perhaps starting with painting the outside first . You are right, that is a cheaper option worth trying before moving on to something else. The hearth, thanks for letting me know sandstone may not be the best choice, so something easier to clean like granite could be the go. Certainly those awful brown tiles have to go!!! I agree that the actual fire box could be a bit smaller, so might be able to put one row of bricks up each side without it looking odd. Feeling quite positive about the whole thing now. Thanks again to you all. :-)

• siriuskey
    7 anni fa

Hi there looks like you're now on the right track keeping the brick, I thought that the fire could be built up from the bottom not the sides as this could allow you to have a jigher hearth, just one more suggestion, a black iron fire place box inserted into the opening would make it a slow combustion and very efficient with heating and less timber usage. there are great looking ones available, less mess too. good luck, love your clothes basket don't get rid of it unless you put it on the wall of the laundry as art work, a friend did this

• a_m_b_a ha ringraziato siriuskey
  • PRO
    AKL Improvement Services
    7 anni fa

Siruskey is right the slow combustion units from Jetmaster are very efficient and have high admissions control. If you are constantly using the fire place, these units will save reloading, keeps the heat in the room and not out of the chimney. We work closely with Jetmaster and are familiar with their products. If you are based in Victoria go and see the Melbourne Home Show (20-23rd of April) as they be displaying their gas and wood fire units. If you need anymore information let me know.

a_m_b_a ha ringraziato AKL Improvement Services
  • siriuskey
    7 anni fa

Hi amba you could use bricks to build up the hearth as these can be sealed, cheap too, check out the pictures. I see that you are currently storing wine next to the fire place which is most likely not the best place. Could you put a cushion there instead and make it a small window seat. You can drink the wine to fix that problem ha!

Also like in the pictures one large piece of art instead of the small photos etc above the mantel, which could be bulked up with a bigger piece of timber, same height. cheer,

• a_m_b_a
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Hi Siriuskey - I like your suggestion re the wine :-). No, not the best place for it. Will move it prior to winter. Re pictures, yes, another good reason to drop the mantle by a foot or so as I want to put either a larger painting or a mirror above the mantle and there just isn't the room currently. Thanks

• siriuskey
    7 anni fa

Sorry amba, I meant not to lower the mantle and still place a larger single something above, I think this adds height to your room cheers

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".