Houzz Logo Print
lisamattheis

HUGE wall?!?!?

lisamattheis
11 anni fa
I have this HUGE 16ft wall. I have no idea what to do? The only think i can think of is wainscoting or a collage of some sort? Even a large piece of art seems small on this wall.... :-/

Also be honest, do i have too much color going on? and too much junk on the table? Its stuff from the old house i felt like i needed o use, but sadly i think my taste has changed....

Commenti (180)

• RuthSings
    11 anni fa
    How about an art quilt? They come in all sizes (any size you want if it's custom), shapes (rectangles are just the start), styles (traditional to modern to sci-fi futuristic) and compositions (cotton fabric to paper to found objects, stones and metal).
  • sarah_1015
    11 anni fa
    I think maybe if you had some kind of really substantial looking cabinet or bookcase or something that would anchor the rest of the pieces in the room, it would help, instead of trying to fill it with lots of wall stuff.
  • leelee
    11 anni fa
    Your furniture and decorating looks like a normal room. I see many suggestions that would probably take you way out of your comfort zone...maybe you're ready to go there or maybe you just want to do something like what you'd do if the ceiling was just a normal height. Are you ready for iridescent neon or just a nice painting? It's good to think out of the box but are you going to add something so far out that it makes the rest of your room look wrong?
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 anni fa
    A few visual ideas for wall
  • bonnieth
    11 anni fa
    I like your colors. Just a pic over the sofa would be good.
  • stargoodhand
    11 anni fa
    Would put stone on the wall as a feature wall
  • User
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    This style is very mod, but really interesting.

Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse · Maggiori informazioni

The way the abstract envelopes the space creates an intimacy.

The method might be adapted to a more traditional setting with neutrals (thinking slate and rocks maybe).
  • Beth Bourque
    11 anni fa
    You don't have too much color. You're fine in that area. You problem is exactly as you've stated: too much wall. I agree that artwork over the sofa is what is needed. Even a couple of staggered shelves would work. Maybe a huge clockface? An arrangement of treasured photos?
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    I totally have this same issue right now. I suggest you try and find a color scheme you want to stick with and find art/wall decor that match your theme.
  • nina47
    11 anni fa
    Your room is quite a generous size and the high ceiling makes it appear even bigger. I'd put the furniture further apart or even think about buying a longer sofa, larger coffee table and bigger lamps for the side tables and the console. The proportions of the room don't work properly if there are too many small items cramped together in quite a large space. One large picture on the wall behind the sofa would look good.
  • Molly Johnson
    11 anni fa
    We found a beautiful rug that had the colors we liked, had a frame built, painted white to match our trim and let about 6" border to act as a mat between the frame and the rug and it is beautiful on the wall. Fills the space and everyone comments on it...
  • PRO
    Art Gems
    11 anni fa
    We sell art prints and I'm suggesting instead, a large tapestry/rug/quilt hanging over the couch and something I have not seen anyone mention here --unless I missed it-- a rolling ladder access library. Such libraries have lower cabinets at floor level with shelves to the ceiling often with a walk balcony. My brother-in-law has this with a very high ceiling and it is very impressive. If you like this idea let me know and I will take a photo of his and upload here. "The library" also provides a place for your favorite collectibles which you can mix with the books and the top of the lower cabinets can provide office/media space if desired. The cabinets themselves provide hidden storage of all sorts. Again let me know if you wish to see a photo
    Janet
  • PRO
    Art Gems
    11 anni fa
    Hi Lisa, Do you want me to upload a photo or did you find examples of this on Houzz?
  • User
    11 anni fa
    That is a good idea.........a photo would be good for others too with similar difficult areas.
  • PRO
    Mural Art - Wall Murals and Custom Paintings
    11 anni fa
    A unique sized wall is perfect for a unique mural. It would become the focal point to your room and home. If you want to add WOW, then add a professionally painted mural. NO MURAL STICKERS OR DECALS... they look tacky! Good Luck with the project.
  • lisamattheis
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    HELLO friends!!! Thank you again for all the wonderful comments!!! I went ahead and purchased the mirror in the first and second picture! It is 5ft x 7.5ft! I am soooooo excited! I plan to hang pics on the side, like the third picture i have posted. I plan to frame vintage sheet music. I am still looking, but plan to get a rug, some pillows and curtains. I took the bird pictures down so looking for something new there.... Whoooohooo!!!!!!
  • Robin Beiermeister
    11 anni fa
    I would change coffee table to a large round glass topped table to lighten up all the angles in the room. You sure got a lot of advice! The mirror looks really cool and architectural, should be a great choice. I like the antique sheet music idea, too. If that doesn't work out, some oversized sconces on either side of the mirror would do (same effect as the floor lamps in the picture above).
  • Carolina
    11 anni fa
    Gorgeous mirror!
  • PRO
    Effortless Chic
    11 anni fa
    this room is stunning and I love the huge wall. This wall needs not one but a few pieces of art , gallery style. I would not put any bookshelves on this wall, they would cut the visual space horizontally and the big wall effect would be lost completely. I would not add any black to this room as it has enough grays going on already.
    I would put a few large pantings or photographs on the big wall, hang simple off white or very pale yellow curtains floor to ceiling to ground the windows, and get new lamp shade and a few pillows in mustard yellow. The room should come to life.
  • Bixa Orellana
    11 anni fa
    There are some super ideas here, although admittedly I haven't read through all of them.

The one comment I'd like to make is that I think you'd see the space differently if you didn't have your furniture so squared off. Why not try pulling everything off to the side, then experiment with placing the sofa on an angle in different parts of the room? If you find a spot that seems promising, you can start placing the other larger pieces in relationship to the sofa.
    I have to admit right here that I'm always opposed to having the tv in the living room, but realize I'm in the minority, plus sometimes there is no other option. Anyway, if you can keep from making it the focal point of the room, you'll open up a bunch of furniture placement options. I think the very square furniture placement is putting emphasis on the wall as a big blank space, whereas different placement would make you see it as a dramatic feature you're lucky to have. Rearranging your (very nice!) furniture will also make you think of different ways to use lamps, pillows, etc., perhaps even pulling things from other parts of the house that you'd not seen as living room items previously.
    Good luck!
  • anniebird
    11 anni fa
    Whew - I didn't read all the comments, so perhaps this suggestion is redundant....how about a large scale wallpaper covering that wall? I also thought about a wallpaper mural, though it might be hard to make that work in such a large and irregular space. Post pictures of your "after" - it will be fun to see how you meet this challenge:)
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 anni fa
    How about wood modern paneling. Love this stuff and saw on I want this the other night. I think it's gorgeous.

http://www.stikwood.com/collections/stikwood
  • PRO
    Art Gems
    11 anni fa
    I will upload a photo over the weekend of the rolling ladder, balcony library wall--just hang in there!
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    11 anni fa
    How about something like this?
  • PRO
    Holly Pippet
    11 anni fa
    I love the idea of wallpaper, or something like the above pics. Something with impact while maintaining that open feel. I like an area that is a little open. It feels more expensive.
  • PRO
    Art Gems
    11 anni fa
    Sorry my DSL was done over the weekend but here are now the photos. I think your library would be more dramatic due to your larger room and wall. I hope now you find the giant wall an asset rather than a design liability. I will attach photos to this and following comment as 4 is the limit.
  • PRO
    Art Gems
    11 anni fa
    Here come the other two. Let me know what you think!
  • PRO
    Art Gems
    11 anni fa
    Hope my first sentence in first upload made some sense, a hornet was in the room!
  • PRO
    User
    10 anni fa
    You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
  • PRO
    Studio Arterie
    10 anni fa
    we love huge walls :) please, have a quick look at our site, we have artistic murals exactly for this purpose, custom printed to measure for your walls..
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 anni fa
    Lisa..could you show pics of what you chose to go with?
  • Donna Read
    10 anni fa
    I would put stacked stone there with a huge mirror to reflect the light. Simple and easy!!!
  • Kira Meeker
    10 anni fa
    I would swap the placement of the chair and the love seat. I don't love the combination of the two paintings and the chair fabric. Beautiful home!
  • yellowkorner
    10 anni fa
    As an option,if you are still looking for idea's on large Art to make a statement on the wall, have a look at this 40 by 70 inches black & white as an option away from color too-
  • Donna Petraglia
    10 anni fa
    My daughter has 15' ceilings (and, of course, walls) in her master bedroom. They got a very grand ceiling fan to fill in the space and it looks great. The have this one with an extension rod. Of course, it fits their decor though.
  • hnks
    10 anni fa
    Liza, I love the idea of the mirror and arrangements on both sides. I have a very similar dilemma and I like your idea a lot. I will start exploring it. Can you please tell me where did you get that mirror from. Thanks and have fun!
  • Peter Hoyt
    10 anni fa
    I think this is much to large of a space to put photographs, unless it's a big collage and the photos themselves are large and printed on canvases. Otherwise, I would suggest using this as a place to showcase some really great art.
  • Adrianne
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    add demension with book cases..
    Make sure furniture is gathered together in the center and not against the walls.

Check out the height and width on this one from Restoration Hardware:
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2481151&categoryId=cat1970012

Do a thick crown mold all around the room at 9' or 10 ' but not above the stairs.
    On the wall above the stairs do a collection of framed pictures.

Don't do crown mold on the wall with the window. However on the wall with the window add curtains. Hang the rod as high as you can go can and make sure when they are fully open they can be pushed out wide enough to show the frame.

Match the handrail to the bookcases!!

Mott House Terra Bella Village · Maggiori informazioni

Definite WOW factor!
  • Kristen Heimstra
    10 anni fa
    Something like this might look nice!

Sixteen Doors · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    范祥龙
    10 anni fa
    so , look nice……I like it!
  • lisamattheis
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Hnks: I bought the mirror from restoration hardware. It is beautiful. Now I am trying to decide what I will put around it. I was thinking framed vintage sheet music, or perhaps large framed art work in a collage. My husband think we should do a collage of mirrors! BTW houzzers, I took all of your ideas in to consideration. So many great ideas. I moved my furniture around as suggested. I will have to upload a new pic!
  • lisamattheis
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    P.s
    still going to replace bird pics
    Looking for floor lamp(s)
    Collage idea around mirror
    Possibly replacing flower chair
    Window treatments

LOL that's a lot. But we just built the house and have been in only 7 months. I am working with old things. Slowly replacing and adding! Thanks again everyone!!!!!
  • Carolina
    10 anni fa
    Gorgeous mirror!
  • lisamattheis
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Angelina Vick! I am doing the ceiling medallion idea in my bedroom!!! LOVE the idea!!! thank you!!!!!
  • Mary N
    10 anni fa
    Lisa, I love the accent chair. I've been searching for something like that. Where did you get it?
  • lisamattheis
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Maria, I actually found it at HomeGoods!
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 anni fa
    You are very welcome. =D I am glad I came across that idea to be able to show it to you.

Thanks for the updated photos. I think your furniture arrangement is working much better now. That mirror is impressive, it's so big it looks like a portal doorway to another universe.

Depending on how wild you want to go...you could do what both of you want. Art and mirrors. It could work. I have seen eclectic mixes like that work. Building it up slowly like a flower arrangement...placing each piece right where it fits.
  • Mary N
    10 anni fa
    Love the mirror. Awesome!
  • PRO
    Elliott Mattice
    6 anni fa

Part of the problem is that you seriously need larger scale items of height for the space. Try a few tall floor lamps, and maybe a series of vertical paintings of differeing heights that work with or against the angle of the ceiling. Tall indoor plants like bamboo would help make the room more comfortable visually.

• PRO
    User
    6 anni fa
    As others mentioned- keep the focus on the lower 8'. I would like to see a large piece of art, and possibly a tall plant to the left of the sofa.

Color- it's not too much, but it's unbalanced and out of place. The chair and art are clustered in one spot and have no connection to the rest of the space. Work to distribute the color evenly through the space and it will come to life.
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".