Houzz Logo Print
gk9919

will this dining set look too traditional for my modern styled home?

Gk Kk
7 anni fa

I found this dining set on sale at a great price. I really like the look. My dining room has a traditional looking chandelier with dark hardwood floors. The rest of my house is decorated modern. I want to know if this dining room set will look good in our house or if it'l look too traditional. The dining room has its own hallway and doesn't connect with the living room.

Commenti (26)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 anni fa

it's pretty traditional. nothing modern about it, at all. If the DR is closed off, then I suppose it wouldn't interrupt the modern look, but it's up to you. those chairs look quite heavy and bulky.

• Darzy
    7 anni fa

If your "modern" style includes Lucite, metal, industrial, or mid century modern I would say this dining set isn't for you. Even if you call it "eclectic", that's even harder to pull off to look good instead of "mish mash". Can you show a photo of your space(s)? If you can lean more "transitional" than modern, I think a few tweaks can make this table/chairs work.

• Gk Kk
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    I guess I used the word 'modern' because I was trying to say my current decor is not traditional. I had no idea there are so many different types of decorating styles! I just did some research on design styles and it turns out my style is transitional. It's definitely not pure traditional and definitely not pure modern. If I do buy this table, can I add some center piece or decor to make it more transitional?
  • Pool Habit
    7 anni fa
    Do you like it? Especially the chairs? The table looks great, I am not crazy about the chair backs--kind of busy-- but if you like them that's great.
  • Irene Morresey
    7 anni fa
    Something like this would bring it more into pulling it all together, then you have another design farmhouse modern, it can all become a bit confusing. Do what makes you happy, it's the main objective
  • drdeb1234
    7 anni fa
    If your place is anything vaguely modern I would not get that set. I think it's very stodgy and unattractive.
    Inexpensive dining items are much more easily found (unlike trying to find quality upholstered furniture) and mixing in non matching chairs will be much more interesting.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 anni fa

IMO the table can work but not those chairs why not keep looking

• Gk Kk
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks everyone!! I'll keep looking to try to find an another dining set. I really liked this one but I do see the point with the chair design looking too 'busy'. Thanks again!
  • dyliane
    7 anni fa

yes is traditional

• tedbixby
    7 anni fa

You might want to consider not doing a "set." Look for a table that you love as chairs can always be changed out over the yrs to fit whatever style you are at the time and more than likely, something can always be done with the table to make it look current if need be down the road.

• Gk Kk
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Tedbixby, thats what I have been thinking lately. Its just when you buy table and chairs separately, it costs more. I dont want to spend a lott of money on a table which will only be used during family gatherings.

• Gk Kk
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

I found this one which I feel is not as traditional. What do you guys think?

• northpoint2
    7 anni fa

Still traditional, but better! :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

Have you measured your dining room? If not, be sure to do that, because you need at least 24" around your table just for chair push back space and another 20 or so inches to walk behind chairs when people are seated. With those measurements, you will be much better prepared. Write these things in a small notebook, or on your iPhone "notes" page and take with you shopping. A bargain is never a bargain if it doesn't really work in your space. You are on the right track, looking for table and then chairs that work with the table. Most chairs sold as sets with tables, are not necessarily going to work in your space anyway. Most sets are really bulky and take up way too much space and have little style. So keep shopping.

• tedbixby
    7 anni fa

Any chance you can post a photo of the room. Based on the fact that you've been drawn to 2 "traditional" sets, that perhaps you're not as transitional as we are thinking. You've also shown us a light and a dark finish so without an idea of the room, it's like throwing darts in the dark...

And if we get a sense of the room, your style and your budget we could come up with tables and chairs for you to consider that may work better for you and the room.

• Catherine M
    7 anni fa
    I actually love the first set. It looks more casual to me than some of the more 'stuffy' traditional styles you see..
  • Gk Kk
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Tedbixby, here is a pic of the room to give you an idea of the floor color. I feel like I am drawn to traditional dining room sets because I am kind of tied of seeing the same types of tables in every house. It seems like everyone does the dark table with upholstered chairs or farmhouse table. I don't want to spend too much money so I have limited choices and I want something that is different. Budget is $1300 for the table and chairs.
  • Sammy
    7 anni fa

Is your budget $1,300 or $13,000? If it's $1,300, the quality will be terrible if you buy new. Have you looked on Craigslist or Ebay for good quality, older, used furniture? I highly suggest it. Also try going to auctions and/or estate sales.

• tedbixby
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Wow. What a beautiful room.

Just to give us a bit better sense of the room size and over all feel can you post a few more photos.

My concern with your 1s tchoice is that the finish is cream and may be an issue with your wall color including the white trim. The white trim could make the cream look "dirty". There can be monitor color distortion so you'll have to make the decision if they work with each other. My other thought is that the set is too casual for your space. The other one, the finish looks like it matches your floor which doesn't lend itself to be too exciting with it all so matchy, matchy. Let's look and see if we can help you do better..

Based on Flo's measurements, what size of table can you go? As one set sits 6 and the other 8.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

Very pretty. I'm guessing, just judging from this photo, your room will only handle a table for 6. I could be wrong, but if the chandelier is in the rough middle of the room, you room is probably around 13' x 15'? Something like that. If you can give width and length, I can do a layout and give you sizing that would be best for your room. btw, $1,300 for table and chairs is a very low number for a pretty formal looking dining room. You can get some very good dining room sets at Antique Shops that would look wonderful, but still might cost more than your budget. Perhaps you need to wait and save a little bit. I would hate for you to just go buy something and it not work well, or look very good just because it is in your "budget" and then in a year or two, be looking for new. Do you formally entertain a lot? Could you set this room up as a library/small dining area and do something interesting that cost less? What if you "reimagined" this space. Most people don't entertain formally any more, but that is up to you. Here is an example of how to use your dining room, in a more "eclectic" useful way and actually USE the room. Maybe rename the room "Library".

Park Avenue · Maggiori informazioni
    Something with a smaller round table for 4. and then some bookcases, etc.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

A Modern Gem · Maggiori informazioni
    How cute would this be?! Love this look.

• tedbixby
    7 anni fa

Are the shades black on the chandelier?

Some table ideas.

$525.

Cerro Extendable Dining Table by Three Posts · Maggiori informazioni

This one has a review that says "The edges are black, but the rest of the table has cherry undertones." $498.

Willington Dining Table by Darby Home Co · Maggiori informazioni
    This one was original $1375. now priced $529. Ebony.
    Blackmon Dining Table by Darby Home Co · Maggiori informazioni

• Gk Kk
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I really appropriated all of you help. Just wanted to post an update.

I measured the room and just about 15 ft. I had thought about using the room as a library and reading room but we do need a formal dining area even if we only use it few times a year. That is mainly the reason why I didn't want to spend too much money. It's not something that will get a lot of wear. I found a really nice solid wood set today on clearance. Was originally $3000 but I am getting it 50% off. I ordered it since I didn't want to lose it. It's dark color with off white seat cushions. I can add a light color rug to offset the dark color. It's from a store that sells all contemporary furniture so it has a modern look.

Thanks to everyone for not letting me buy the first set. I would have regretted it.
  • tedbixby
    7 anni fa

Happy to hear that you found a set that will work for you. You didn't have any hesitation ordering it so it has to be the perfect one for you. Please post a photo of it in your room when you get it as we would love to see it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

Well, there you go. Guess taking time to think and ask for assistance really paid off! Looking forward to seeing the set. It is such a pretty room, I'm sure it will work out.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".