Houzz Logo Print
bryerson

I need help for my conservatory

bryerson
7 anni fa

We have a Victorian Conservatory which by definition has a glass roof. In the summer it gets very hot in this room in spite of the AC going full blast.
We are looking for shading for the room, preferably diy as we are very handy.

Commenti (9)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Meant to be a place to grow plants off season. To minimize the heat load you could have all the roof glass frosted with film. Get a much larger fan to move the air

Will always be hot.

• bryerson
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

This structure is actually a climate controlled living space.

We used to have a deciduous tree that shaded the room most of the day and that fixed the problem. The tree is no longer there.

In the UK they make shades for conservatories that work very well to make the room comfortable but I've not been able to find anyone who can do it in the US.

Again, what I would prefer is instructions to make them myself.

I would also prefer not to have negative comments that tell me I cannot do what I know I can do or that I don't know what I am talking about. If you don't have a constructive comment, please keep it to yourself.

• C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a)
    7 anni fa

What a beautiful conservatory. Considering the shape of the roof, traditional skylight shades won't be too effective. Since you're a DIYer I'd probably go with either a UV frosted film, like BeverlyFLADeziner mentioned (easy to install), or create your own sail shades, which is pretty straight forward albeit time consuming. You'll just need some sail cloth, sewing skills and hardware for the latter option. Here's a thorough tutorial: http://canopykingpin.com/shade-sails/diy-how-to-make-a-shade-sail/ .

Another option, if you like the look, is a tented ceiling. Easy to order all the hardware and then pick your own fabric. http://www.elegantceilings.com/diyinfoV.htm 

Good luck!

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 anni fa

If you can safely reach the ceiling, then frosted window film is the way to go.

• User
    7 anni fa

If it was intended to be actual habitable living space, then it was poorly designed as it does not meet any glazing requirement for that anywhere. To minimize heat gain, you need triple paned windows installed with the right U rating.

• partim
    7 anni fa

Here are some diy instructions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrq17R6lwPE

This is a US company that makes them. http://www.parishconservatories.com/

• PRO
    Conservatory Craftsmen
    7 anni fa

HI! Your conservatory is beautiful! I have been building conservatories for 25 years and offer window treatments for slope glazing. I have pineoleam shades in my personal conservatory that are motorized. I prefer to measure and install but we maybe able to work something out.

• User
    7 anni fa

Bryerson, this is a BEAUTIFUL space. As to "nobody can do it in the US"?

I have no idea where you are, in the US, but at least a possible consult option.

Sunsational Solutions, Austin TX. I know- I just gave you a reference to perhaps not even close to your locale. But? I'm not sure how it stands, but 2 years ago, the owner of the company was the President of the "window film" association in the US. Eh, I don't have all the industry lingo. But the man knows his stuff.

They are incredibly friendly. It's very possible that he can direct you to a reputable film company in your area that can help. If I were you, I'd check in.

DIY? In the eyes of the beholder. If you seek, you might find that it's not nearly as expensive as you thought, to bring pros in. And then you have a great warranty.

For your consideration.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".