Houzz Logo Print
nigel_sampson9579386

polished concrete floor issue

Last year we had our concrete floor polished in TV room downstairs. In a little nook to the back of the room we had a 70's bar that stepped up. We ripped out the flooring and dug out the area as we are turning it into an office /study area we then poured in new concrete as we wanted continue the polished flooring into there. When our tradie poured the concrete he ran out of concrete and so had to do another pour the next day in a small section. Now our floor has been polished but it looks bad with two types of concrete in that section. Just after ideas on how we can fix it without ripping it up and redoing it

Commenti (16)

• John Henson
    7 anni fa
    Sorry to say but I would embrace it
  • PRO
    Outside Space
    7 anni fa
    Sorry to hear this has happened. If you have 10mm of additional height to do a new overlay. Then, this could be an option to lay another concrete mix over the top of the existing, then have your concrete polisher do his stuff.
  • LesleyH
    7 anni fa
    What is the brown mark to the RHS? What did the tradie offer to do as it was his/her error?
  • PRO
    Alpha and Omega Airconditioning services
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    thanks for all your comments. the brown mark is just dirt and the tradie really hasn't given us any options except tile over it, which I don't want to do as it will break up the study area from the TV room and raise the floor a bit. I think I like the comment before of only taking 10mm off the top and polishing it. the only other thought I had was doing a epoxy Finnish on it but again it will seperate that area
  • PRO
    Outside Space
    7 anni fa

I wouldn't do the epoxy option, (unless you want to do this yourself)

....concrete overlay is the better way to go. These are just my thoughts.....

• C B
    7 anni fa
    I would do an overlay if you have the height (or a gloss coloured epoxy coating). If you do the overlay ensure you use a high strength concrete such as 32 MPa as opposed to the usual and cheaper 20 MPa. Be there when it is poured and ensure that not too much water is added as this will weaken the concrete (it's added to make it easier to spread and attend to). The best polishing can be achieved on this higher strength concrete and would be worth it since it is an overlay. Good luck.
  • aronn
    7 anni fa

Hi, I doubt it is the concrete but more likely the finish, the filler, the grit the penetrating finish. This being the case I would seek the opinion of a really good concrete polisher baring in mind there are polishers and the there are Polishers

• PRO
    FormFunctionNT
    7 anni fa

Sorry to advise this, but concrete batches are all unique. Nothing will make this better, it will always be noticeable to you....however it may pay to keep in mind the reason you wanted polished concrete in the first instance, the "non-uniform" appeal, character etc. It does provide a side story to the end result..

• aronn
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

hi

yes batches are different from batch to batch, but the finishers, toner, and self levellers, grout, are all different and have differing impact of the finish. Two of my Grandsons work in the concrete polishing industry (have for years)and come across this problem every other day. They are so very used to fixing up concrete pourers blues. I do know of some extreme difficulties (some over forty years old under carpet that have had the same problem) that have given my boys a hard time. However, at the end of it, using the right gear, you can literally see your face in the reflection plus the reflected image via the window.

• Marguerite McCartney
    7 anni fa

I had a similar problem with outdoor concrete under my veranda, where a section had to be redone, in spite of the guy's best effort to match, the stone looks different. I am a perfectionist, but decided not to draw anyone's attention to it. I also placed furniture somewhat strategically and after 8 months not one person has commented. Conclusion, I'm the fiercest critic and maybe it is not as bad as I think.

• Yvonne Newman
    7 anni fa

Stencil Crete ?

• PRO
    Southeast Floors Pty Ltd
    7 anni fa

Have you looked at the Pangaea Polished Concrete Veneer as an option? http://pangaeafloors.com.au/

• Haynes Polished
    2 anni fa
    1. Nice post. Thank you for sharing this informative post about the polished concrete floor issue. It’s very useful. If you are looking for Polished Concrete Floors in Melbourne, Australia must visit
  • Haynes Polished
    2 anni fa

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->It is a common misconception thatPolished Concrete Floors are slippery, but they actually provide a level of traction on the surface more similar to tile or linoleum. Haynes ™ offers beautiful ™ and economical refinishing that emphasizes efficient maintenance by providing an ultra-low-gloss finish with minimal risk of scuffs. This innovative process dramatically reduces potential negatives such as cost and environmental impact during the polish process with stunning flooring consequences.

• Haynes Polished
    2 anni fa

Just like the surface of a lake, Polished Concrete Floors are cool to the touch and can be stained with any color you want. The perfect solution for anyone looking for a floor that’s easy to maintain.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".