Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_18565319

Fixed length, wide plank floor too big for my house?

User
7 anni fa
Wondering if any of you lovely experienced design people can help me!

I have my heart set on natural oak, brushed and lacquered engineered floor. I would like medium-wide board and decent wear layer (5mm or more). The only one I can find that meets this is fixed length, 1900 long and 190m wide. None of the rooms in my house are particular big or long, see picture of plan attached. The floor would be everywhere apart from utility, bathrooms and vestibule. Am I right in thinking that this won't work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Commenti (3)

• Lauren
    7 anni fa

Hi,

I think it'll look fine actually. I went for structural (20mm deep with 6mm wear layer) semi-smoked engineered oak floorboards upstairs which were 180mmx1900mm planks. They look great in my 1930's house and tie in well with the original 1 over 3 panel antique pine doors. I would ask why you want lacquered finish though? It means if you get it scratched the only way to repair is to completely sand and re-lacquer. Whereas if you go for an oiled finish any high traffic areas can be patch-sanded and re-oiled as needed.

Its worth asking the installer to open several packs at once and select planks at random from each to help balance out any colour variations between batches. Also I think it looks much more natural when they stagger the planks randomly so you don't end up with a pattern emerging.

These photos were taken just after oiling so its a little glossy, it dried to a matte finish which is what we wanted for the natural look.

• User
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks for providing such a detailed response, and your floor looks fantastic! I suppose I was just worried that in the smaller rooms, i wouldn't even fit 2 planks at length and I want it to look as natural as possible. The reason I'm looking at lacquered is just for low maintenance because the wood will be in almost every room, I'm not sure I'd keep on top of it if I had to oil it every year or so. I do love the natural look of oiled which is why I was going for the brushed lacquered, it is as close to that look as possible.
  • PRO
    Naos Floors Ltd.
    7 anni fa

The best advice we could offer is to ensure you install it with a "random" stagger of the header joints. This will help avoid a repeat pattern and help to break up the fixed length look. Also consider the direction you lay the boards, to ensure it will flow well between all of the spaces. Hopefully that helps!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".