Houzz Logo Print
amhers104

2nd guessing New Kitchen Decision-Need Advice Please!

amhers104
7 anni fa
We are building a new home and are meeting with the builder tomorrow afternoon!! YIKES!! We are going with white painted Shaker for the perimeter cabinets and white subway tile for backsplash and under wood range hood. I "thought" I had decided on the Cambria Quartz Praa Sands for the perimeter counters and Torquay for the island. Also decided to paint Peppercorn, which is a charcoal /blue gray color, to give some contrast to the white kitchen. We have to limited options- have to pick from what is offered from the builders design center- from the choices these are definitely my two favorite ones for the kitchen.

Now I am second guessing myself!! I do love the Praa Sands but am afraid it may be too busy on both the perimeter and island. I thought the Torquay countertop (the white one pictured) on the island because it is so close to the open spaced living room area. Could give me more flexibility with what I do in the living room area. Attached picture of model home to show close proximity of kitchen and LR area. We will be buying all new furniture so right now that is an open slate. I will most likely go with neutral color furniture and add blue, green, tan and/or gray accents. i am attaching a picture of the kitchen we will be doing- from model home. The two pieces of quartz and the cabinets are on the flooring color that we selected. It is the Mannington floor Restoration Collection 6 inch plank, Historic Oak-Ash color. This is also the same floor in the pictured in the model home kitchen.

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions greatly appreciated. Stress level is getting very high trying to make and stick with a final decision before our meeting with builder! :)

Commenti (49)

• Susan Sarrett
    7 anni fa

I love all the colors...I am facing the exact same dilemma with very similar colors. I think I actually like the whiter counter with white cabinet and the more colorful counter with the darker cabinet.

• Jennifer Havin
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

what does the torquay look like with the subway, Susan has a great idea of putting the white with the white cabinets. I'm STILL (from your other post :)) a fan of picking just one counter, but it would be fun to see how the torquay would look with the white cabinets and white tile

• threers
    7 anni fa

I would do the island cabinets in the grey;all other cabinets white. Use the white countertop everywhere. Consider buying taller height cabinets above the counters. This gives you extra storage and saves you the need of dusting the top of your cabinets. Also, I think it is better to have your expensive, installed pieces be the neutrals in the space and those things which are less expensive and more changeable as the "color".

• kjoy1
    7 anni fa

While I like all your choices separately...I don't like them paired together:/

If this was my kitchen I think I would simplify things.

White perimeter cabinets/peppercorn island with the Praa Sands everywhere

OR

White cabinets for both perimeter and island with Praa Sands on island paired with a solid colored white, gray, or black perimeter counter.

• gtcircus
    7 anni fa
    OK, my opinion is different. You need a solid color counter around the perimeter and preferably a darker color, perhaps honed. Think a solid blue stone (which is NOT blue) or some other counter with little or no movement. Keep the white cabinets around the perimeter and the gray island along with your backsplash and it will look fine. You want the perimeter to recede and the island to pop and that wont happen with white counters. You have great choices, just needs a tweak! Use a complimentary stone to your island for the perimeter and by no movement I mean no little or no veining visible.
  • gtcircus
    7 anni fa
    Here is what i mean.
  • houssaon
    7 anni fa

I like your choices, but would do one counter top.

• tedbixby
    7 anni fa

I agree with bellburgmaggie to use a solid around the perimeter and perhaps darker one and then the Praa Sands on the island.

With a little imagination these will give you some feel for your options. All with the Praa Sands.

Praa Sands on dark island, dark solid perimeter

Kitchen/Main Floor, Mississauga · Maggiori informazioni

Praa Sands on the perimeter. White grout rather than gray for a cleaner look.

Family 15 Kitchen 4 · Maggiori informazioni

Another view

Family 15 Kitchen 2 · Maggiori informazioni

Praa Sands on island and perimeter

White/Praa Sands Project · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Chic Alors Decor & Design
    7 anni fa

Swap the white cabinets out with the lighter counter top. Use the dark cabinets on your island and keep your counter top the same.

• amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks everyone for the different suggestions and ideas. I am Limited to what other quartz I can pick - only select colors are offered through the builder and I have to go with what is offered. I chose the Torquay - but was concerned that the veining may clash with the movement in the Praa Sands.I Love the Praa Sans- was just afraid it would be too busy on both counters.
    I definitely want to do white cabinets and the darker gray painted island. Just need to figure out the countertops! Uggghh- I have been going back-and-forth now for a solid two weeks. I went on the website and these are the only other colors that would be possible options. I currently have a white cabinets in my house with black countertop so wanted to do something different – this will be a summer home near the beaches and a place to go for weekends during fall winter and spring. After seeing some of the pictures of suggestions that have been posted thinking maybe I should just go with black- although I'm not even sure these black quartz work. I'll post the only three other options – all feedback is appreciated.
  • amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Jennifer- here is a picture I found of the Torquay quartz with the white subway tile. This has the gray colored grout- if I went this route may lean toward the white grout. What do you think?
  • amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Torquay with white subway tile.
  • tedbixby
    7 anni fa

Can you flip the 2 quartz so that they match the cabinet color that you are now considering them with and post a photo of it.

• PRO
    Pintsizekitchen
    7 anni fa

First of all both options look GREAT as is. I see it as a win-win and I don't think you can go wrong. Secondly, construction is a stressful process and your choices show that you have done your research and you have done well. Do yourself a favor and do not introduce any new options for even more opportunity for second guessing.

If I would have to choose I would go with the white cabinetry and the Praa Sands counter. They white cabinets are stylish and will be more flexible with any color scheme in the adjacent areas. You like the Praa Sand counter top so stick with it. It shows the beauty of natural stone so it will be an excellent focal point. It's color also matches the flooring well. Without seeing the size of the island and the design I could not comment on the CT choice for that.

Good luck tomorrow with the builder. Cheers***

• amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    @tedbixby. I took those pictures when I was there last week so can't flip them for you. Sorry.
  • amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    @Pintsizekitchen. Thank you for your feedback. As much as I want to go with my first choice of Praa Sands on Perimeter with the white cabinets and Torguay on island, which would be painted the darker gray color that I posted I'm so nervous it will be too much with the veining.
    Yep-stressful it is! I just want this to look really great when finished- and not walk in and say "Damn, what have I done." This is the last home we are building -- this will be our retirement home that we will move to when I retire in 2 to 3 years! Going back to my home state of RI!!
    Here is a better picture of the center island. What do you think- Praa Sands for both Counters, or Torguy for one and Praa Sands for the other??? So hard to visualize the different combinations.
  • Susan Sarrett
    7 anni fa

I feel your pain but don't think using the 2 are a clash at all!!! The veining compliments each other!! I just like switching the combo!

• Jennifer Havin
    7 anni fa

I love the torquay with the white cabinets and white subway, I would just want to make sure they go together, meaning your actual cabinets and tile with the sample of the torquay. I think I would totally go that way, and then your island can be the star with the praa sands and the dark cabinet. It will be beautiful!!

• calidesign
    7 anni fa

I know you're getting all different opinions. I would use the Torquay on both countertops, and this is why: The Torquay is more neutral and classic, so it is less likely to go out of style. It also has less color, which allows you to change your paint and furnishings to anything later on. You are already using two different colors on your cabinets, so using one countertop unifies them. You will have other items in the room (pendant lights, stools, etc) to provide interest. This site is full of dilemma's where kitchens look too busy and disjointed. And when the grey island becomes dated, you can change it to any other color without affecting the countertop.

• amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Calidesign- the Torquay has less color and is more neutral. I think from your post it sounds like you are suggesting the Torquay-not Praa Sands??
  • calidesign
    7 anni fa

Sorry - Yes the bottom one in your photo - the Torquay! Bad mistake on my part!

• KK Johnson
    7 anni fa
    Personally I love all the movement. We had marble in our condo that didn't have a lot I've movement and even though it was gorgeous it was not very forgiving and now we are in a single family home the counters now have a lot more movement and I can already see how they can last 20 years as opposed to the cleaner less busy marble. I think having something that can allow for accidents that every day living throw at us is best.
  • csimon30
    7 anni fa

I agree with bellburgmaggie and Ted about having a solid color on the perimeter.

I am going to have white shaker style cabinets with Silestone Gedatsu on the perimeter and backsplash. For the kitchen island my cabinets are expresso brown shaker style with Cambria Torquay.

• PRO
    Pintsizekitchen
    7 anni fa

At this point it is more of a preference. I think you could be more daring with the P.S. top along the wall since you don't have a whole lot of counter area (based on the picture above.) The the cook top, the sink and the corner will break up the CT area so whatever you put there may not be as bold as you think. The P.S. on the island will definitely draw the attention. The P.S. on both surfaces will give a feeling of continuity since you will have plenty of contrast between the cabinet colors. Nonetheless, I don't think you can go wrong with either CT's along the wall. That's just me. Cheers***

• amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Ok- so I have made some decisions. Thanks for everyone's input. Now I need help with picking the grout color – which I never realized was so important till I start looking at all the different pictures on Houzz. I am going with all lights on turn into cabinets and island. The cabinets will all go to the ceiling with crown molding – so will not have the staggered look. I have also decided to go with Praa Sands on both the perimeter counter and the island. Sticking with white subway tile for the backsplash. Now I need help/advice on grout color!!
    I have four choices that were given to me from the builder. One of the colors is "quartz" which looks like it could work – but cannot find any pictures of the finished product with it. Posting a picture of the white subway tile that they're using – pictured with the "winter gray" grout. Or do I go safe and just do the bright white grout color. I know there are lots of different grout colors out there, BUT I have to pick from one of these 4. I always get great advice from everyone on Houzz so.... What do you think?? Thanks:)
  • kjoy1
    7 anni fa

I vote winter gray. While the bright white is the safest and least busy option...I think I would drive myself crazy trying to keep it clean :)

• calidesign
    7 anni fa

I think the bright white grout would be too stark. I would use the quartz color, to bring in a slightly warmer tone to help the white tiles blend with your warm toned countertop choice. Light smoke could also work, but would give you more contrast and look busier, which you may not want next to your countertop.

• Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

White tile, white grout. They need to match or each tile will stand out and add yet another pattern to your kitchen.

• Christelle FV
    7 anni fa
    I would do just one counter top colour, to unify everything, the lighter one looks great in your combination of finishes!
  • carolt924
    7 anni fa

Lovely choices, happy you chose the PraaSands (coming from someone who has Cambria Buckingham, lol) for all countertops. I would def choose a colored grout, I like the quartz or light smoke. Relax and enjoy the process!

• PRO
    Amy Mendez @ Closet Factory (Ft. Lauderdale)
    7 anni fa

Although I do like the bright white with the subway, I think the quartz color would actually look nice as well as blend with your counter top. The darker ones are going to outline the tiles too much causing a big distraction from the counter top. They will be fighting each other.

• amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Ok- so I just recently ended up changing my mind- and sticking with my decision. As much as I loved the Praa Sands quartz, something about it was holding me back. I am still going with the white shaker cabinets on the perimeter and the darker gray painted island but I'm going to go with the Torquay quartz on both the perimeter and island countertop. I also decided to do all 42 inch cabinets instead of having the staggered look that is in The previous pictures that I posted.
    So now I need to decide what grout to use, now that I have switched to the Torquay. Surprise surprise – I am flip-flopping back-and-forth on this now. :) Go with white grout for the more "uniform look" or the winter gray grout to tie in the slight gray veining from the quartz countertop and the gray island. I have looked at lots of pictures and truthfully like both looks. Have heard from people that keeping the white grout clean can be a pain?? Also, if I do the white grout will it be "two white" with the cabinets and the countertop.
    I am attaching a picture I took while at the model home with my white cabinets and the Torquay quartz. They have the white subway tile and gray grout that they use so this is how it would look (The cabinets in the picture are not white though – they have a glaze on them). What do people think? I always get good advice from Houzz? We sign the purchase and sale agreement on Friday so I need to let them know definite decision when we sign.
  • Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

It really is an individual preference. I like the backsplash to not be a thing you notice. I like it to blend into the background and support my countertop.

You have to decide what you like. Do you want another pattern in your kitchen?

• calidesign
    7 anni fa

Are your only options for grout the bright white or winter gray? Personally, I would use a very soft taupe/gray so you see some tile pattern, but not a stark contrast. I think you'll be happy with your Torquay countertops and decision to have the tall cabinets, too.

• lwfromny
    7 anni fa
    I think the winter gray or the smoke would look awesome with the Torquay. And IMO the Torquay is subtle enough that the kitchen can handle have a contrasting grout.
  • PRO
    Art of Home Team
    7 anni fa
    I don't think you can go wrong with the more subtle pattern quartz everywhere... The busy pattern will be worse for future resale. I love the white counter you chose, everywhere. For contrast, just make the island cabinets dark. It will still have a beautiful classy look & you'll avoid the busy pattern most buyers walk away from. :) Good luck, building a home is so much fun!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa
    Good job.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

I tried posting last night but the Houzz system was down for quite a long time. What I wanted to say was I am glad you went the way you did ultimately. It will be a timeless look and a gorgeous look. Glad you ditched the darker quartz. That would have been very limiting. Also glad you went for the gray grout? That is a good choice (maybe you haven't nailed that down yet, but if not do they gray) because everything else is "quiet". It will look fantastic! Show us pics when it is completed.

• Anjelina W
    7 anni fa
    White Quartz!!! The other one is to busy and you will be tired of it in few years!!
  • amhers104
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thank you everyone for the input – it is so helpful to me.
    These are the two other options for the grout color.
  • acm
    7 anni fa

well, you need to see them with the tile, and preferably with the counter sample too.

put me in the camp that likes a backsplash to be a color, not a pattern, so I'd go with some version of white rather than a darker gray.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

I would like one that is more gray that beige. (grout that is) Don't like either one above.

• Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

definitely need to see them with the tile, counter and cabinets. I would go lighter so each tile is not a stand out.

• Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

Bright white

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

Here are some photos with similar combinations and white subway with gray looking grout. It is an option. White would look fine too, but be a more all white look.

Plaza Small Kitchen Savvy · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

East Side Eden · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

DesignLine Home Transformations · Maggiori informazioni

• cml582
    6 anni fa

@amhers104- Do you have any photos of the finished kitchen??? I was reading thread and loved your ideas.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".