Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do you have a dedicated playroom?

Emily H
7 anni fa

Brooklyn, NY: Brooklyn Heights Townhouse · Maggiori informazioni

Is there a room in your home that is set aside for kids activities and toys? If so, what room did you use for this purpose? If you had a room like this in the past, but no longer need one, what has it morphed into now?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes
No
Other - Tell us below

Commenti (33)

• tooky58
    7 anni fa

Yes! It's my husband's sewing, tack and saddlery room.

• Jill K
    7 anni fa
    We don't have a basement, but we do have both a living room and family room. We use the living room for the kids' play room.
  • Hockeymom84
    7 anni fa

second living room/great room gets the toys. The hockey gear is in the garage on a dryer.

• machapman1
    7 anni fa

Like tooky58, we are the kids in this household, and we have a dedicated music room to play with our violin and oboe.

• wrknnwf
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

No. My whole house is my playroom. You know what they say...all work and no play...so no rooms are dedicated solely to work, either. Other wise, my name would be Dull Boy Jack in certain rooms. I prefer to have every room playful and lively. I find it more conducive to creativity.

• Patti Kearney
    7 anni fa
    In the house we are working on now, the bedroom closest to the living room will be the playroom. Built ins around the windows will be a bench with storage underneath and floor to ceiling shelves for books, die cast cars and trophies. The large closet will be perfect for hockey bags so they don't have to be in the front hall!
  • clh582001
    7 anni fa

Yes...for me! There is a room in the basement that I have haven over as a "playroom". It is a space for me and my adult daughter to scrapbook, art journal, make cards, work on doll houses, etc.

• pjmc2117
    7 anni fa

When we bought our house the garage had been converted into an extra room that we used as the playroom. Now that my children have grown we split it into half weight room and half a bedroom for my oldest who no longer wanted to share bunk beds with his brother.

• urchin11
    7 anni fa

Yes, when our home was first built it was a play room, then it was a video game room, now it is a furniture reserve the kids can take from for apartments when they get one.

• willozwisp
    7 anni fa

Yes, play room is the entire house. It has no boundaries except those limited by the imagination. Ever hear, "Quit horsing around" in the bathroom's bathtub? Or, "Quit playing with your food"? And Rugs are great for marbles etc...

• millawayr
    7 anni fa

Yes, we do. It is a very strangely decorated, non-electronic setting - the 5 1/2 acres immediately outside the house.

• Yasmín
    7 anni fa
    I currently do not, but the home we are renovating does! It is a toy room, but to my husband I refer to it as a recreation room because he thinks a toy room is a waste. However, it will evolve with our sons as they grow and their needs change. They are currently 3&5 so right now...we are building a toy room! Woohoo! :)
  • joanofnanaimo
    7 anni fa

Yes, it took me 5 years to find the right house with a "family room" on the main floor! Its just off the kitchen and the kids have their toys spread out all over the floor (out of sight). We just added an exterior door to the deck and as they get older it will be a good space to hang out with their friends.

• tinywife
    7 anni fa

Keeping the toys out of of the kids bedroom has been a fantastic decision. When the kids want to read, relax, regroup or (gasp) sleep, they use the bedroom. Playtime is for the playroom which is a converted extra bedroom.

• Joanise Seide
    7 anni fa
    Wall art
  • shofer1019
    7 anni fa

Our fourth bedroom on the lower level became the playroom. It was wonderful keeping the toys in one place and not scattered all over the house. Now that the children are grown, it is an exercise room for us and with an added sofa bed also a guest room when needed.

• Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

In our old house, my husband built a 3 season room that we used for a toy room in all but the coldest of days. We had a portable heater.

In this house, we have a library on the main floor that was the toy room until the boys got older, then we finished the basement for them. The library is now a library and the basement is a finished TV/video game space.

• Pearls& PowerTools
    7 anni fa

Childfree so not need for a playroom. However in our new to us house we do have a "dance room" with hardwood floors where we plan to host parties. Right now its furnitureless and we ballroom dance in it.

• brendajshepherd
    7 anni fa

Yes and we sometimes let the grand-kids play in it! :)

• shidimma
    7 anni fa

It was a study room before but now that we have a ten month old we transformed it into a playroom. All of her toys, walking ring, jumparoo, swimming pool, etc are there. Having a playroom keeps the house tidy.

• 1debsue
    7 anni fa
    Formal dining room that was only used for special occasions is now a large playroom! Removed the chandelier of course! So useful!
  • Jessica Hausch
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

We are in the process of converting the second floor of an old hardware store to our home. The floor plan includes a toy room for sure!

There's more details on our blog www.littlevillagebigspace.com

• Rebekah Picot
    7 anni fa

We do for now to house all the toys. Will turn it into a guest room or hobby room when the time comes.

• debara
    7 anni fa

Our Play Room has gradually changed from a pre-teen play room to an adult Games Room over the last 26 years. This summer it will (hopefully) change again to a more finished and better-decorated room.

• User
    7 anni fa
    Our playroom is the finished bonus room above our garage. It's upstairs along with all of the kids bedrooms. We love it!
  • greenacresmama
    6 anni fa

Both, my suggestion is not all rooms can. Sometimes with kids seasonal decor feels playful - yes. Some rooms have sometimes a small display, like a dollhouse, some rooms have lots! Like a basement, some rooms have precious, like a bedroom. ;) be careful with toys! Rotate! Be mindful that too much is not healthy! Balance! Remember that art and adult type of wooden toys or a globe is great! Books, a dictionary stand.. don't make one room all toy.. blend, I think it is the hallmark of a welcoming kid friendly home.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Yes we have a playroom (the room over the garage), and it is the best thing ever! Once upon a time, it kept all the toys in one place (and helped keep the bedroom mostly clutter free, except for the legos, lol). There was plenty of floor space to house large things over different life stages, such as a cardboard box house, a mini basketball hoop, an air hockey table, and eventually video games and tv. It's where sleepovers always took place, and was where kids would hang out. And it allowed the rest of the living spaces to look tidy. I guess I have a lot of happy memories from the play room! I highly recommend it.

• Momof5x
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

My daughter has one in her house, but I think I really do need a playroom for them all when they all gather with their kids.
    I dedicated a couple of spaces for them when they come, a corner where they are attracted to a netted laundry hamper full of toys, and a couple of tables of which we gather round for drawing and coloring-really it is the activities that stop them from destroying the living room lol I also take them to the garden to play.
    A playroom would be ideal though.

• Belahn
    6 anni fa

I don't have kids, but I have pets and have 2 dedicated pet rooms for all the bowls, beds, towers etc. When I was a kid we had a play room. I remember my parents converted the garage into living space and made half of it into a room for 3 kids with built in shelves and desks. It was great for art work, coloring books and home work.

• PRO
    Fitted furniture Designers & Makers | Unum Design
    6 anni fa

Yes , the kids really need a playroom :)

• PRO
    Backyard Fun Factory
    6 anni fa

Outdoor Playrooms.....

• chindman39
    6 anni fa

Turned a bedroom into a playroom then went back to a bedroom when the girls got older.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".