Houzz Logo Print
begalax

Hardword floors layout

begalax
7 anni fa

We are about to rip off the carpet and put nice hardwood floors. We have 2 main areas; first entry and living room and then another area that contains kitchen, dining and family room. We can't decide how do we want to layout the floor. We definitely want be consistent and have all the planks be in on direction by can't decide which direction is better. My hubby mocked the look but now we disagree even more :) Please help!

Commenti (8)

• apaquin25
    7 anni fa

This is tricky. For one, I like the way you look from the kitchen down to the gallery wall - makes it look nice and long, but I also like the way the wood would line up with the stair treads if you ever decided to go hardwood with those instead of carpet. Do you use the room with the gallery wall more than the one with the TV?

begalax ha ringraziato apaquin25
  • begalax
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Wow, very good point about the stairs. In a year or so we will be doing the stairs so it will look better if the floor will line up. And yes, we definitely use the room with gallery more than the TV room.

• PRO
    Charette Design
    7 anni fa

My inclination is to establish the pattern at the entry with the plank pattern going from longest (or widest) wall to wall distance. In the project pictured the longest dimension of plank ran from front entry down hall. The pattern continues through the adjacent living room and dining room.

• apaquin25
    7 anni fa

If there's a subfloor installed, I don't think it matters. I don't know that many hardwood manufacturers recommend installation directly onto joists anymore.

• C F
    7 anni fa

I'd do it lengthwise towards the back of the house.

• begalax
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

@kmcarney I have no idea :)

• jhmarie
    7 anni fa

Solid hardwood (as opposed to engineered or any of the faux woods -laminate or LVP) should be installed perpendicular to the floor joist.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".