Houzz Logo Print
mattogilvie73

Blinds + Shutters

Matt O
7 anni fa
After some advice on new blinds, shutters etc.
Am replacing all window blinds during a Reno.
Walls will be lexicon quarter with lexicon quarter trim.
Floors will be a white oak color vinyl.
Am thinking of white plantation shutters in lounge room (2 + 4 photo)
Unsure if I should put shutters in main bedroom
I have never had shutters before.
Am trying to get a beach/coastal feel.
Rest of house whether to put white Venetians or some kind of roller blind.
What are the +/- of each, or are there other options to consider.
Will be using a local made to order guy who provides most blind options.
Any assistance appreciated

Commenti (8)

• Matt O
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Sorry lounge is 3 + 4
  • bigreader
    7 anni fa
    I love shutters. There was a post here recently and I have read elsewhere that they are not really blackout for the bedroom. I also like white timber venetians but others will say they're hard to clean.
  • bigreader
    7 anni fa
    I wouldn't settle on your trim colour until you pick your window coverings. You'll need to match the whites.
  • Kerri Graafmans
    7 anni fa
    Negative for venetians is the difficulty of cleaning. Also not really suitable for sliding doors. I would personally go for roller blinds because of their clean lines and how they blend into any style of home. In our last home we had a big 6 stacker door going out onto the deck. The span was too wide for one roller blind so we put two and motorised them to work together. We had a remote inside and also one outside so they could be operated from inside or outside. Just keep in mind that there is a wider gap on one side to allow for the cords to operate on the hand operated roller blinds.
  • PRO
    ideal drape makers
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

It's really hard to provide advice without getting a feel for your decor . Plantation shutters can look great, are not a total block-out solution but can be close and sufficient for most people to be able to sleep with. A lot will depend on the quality of the shutters and how well they are fitted.

I think the post bigreader was referring to can be found [here[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/block-out-blind-behind-shutters-dsvw-vd~4314237). Here you'll find a good example of what can go wrong if you don't choose both your shutters and fitter carefully. You will get a variety of prices and there is a difference from brand to brand, and the materials they are available in. Take some rough measurements of your windows and call around to get some indicative prices which you should be able to get on the phone without committing to a check-measure or any other commitment given to the potential supplier. Do your homework and don't automatically default to the cheapest price.

I have to agree with Kerri Graafmans in that Venetians are difficult to clean and I just don't think they will work well if you are working towards a beach feel for your windows.

Depending on where you are located, thermal rollers will be a must with just about any window treatment with the exception of Plantation Shutters. The thermal rollers will give you added light control when used in combination with solid drapery. They will also provide worthwhile insulation which, in combination with drapery or a Roman blind, will make a noticeable impact on your cooling and heating bills.

Alternatively, Sheer Curtains and Solid Drapes can be made in a large variety of heading styles. Traditional Soft Romans might work well depending on how your rooms start to take shape.

Think carefully about your budget and if possible give the consultants and idea of what you are prepared to spend, - Even if it is only a rough idea. Reputable companies will not intentionally pad-out quotes to meet your budget. But they will work with you to ensure you get the best value for your declared budget without sacrificing quality or taking shortcuts just to seal the deal.

Always get an itemised quote so you can see what you will be paying for. Fabric, in many cases, will be the biggest ticket item on your quote. If comparing quotes ensure you are comparing apples for apples. Especially for drapery, both in terms of fabric brand and price as well as the quoted 'fullness' of the curtains / drapes you will be purchasing.

If you find you just don't have the budget for your ideal window solutions then my best advice is to either wait until you do or think about a phased approach to dressing your windows (say a window or a room at a time). Far better to pay for a quality product that will last for years than to go for something that does not meet your expectations, but which you will be forced to live with, and be reminded of, every time you enter a room in which the treatments were fitted.

Above all, get an idea of what you are likely to need to budget for to get the solution you want early. Too many of those that undertake renovations leave pricing the window treatments to last and have not made a sufficient funding allocation to do the job properly.

I may be biased, but I truly do believe that good window treatments can really add 'wow' to both a window and a space, - Yet it's often the one item that suffers the most when reno' budgets start to run dry.

Hope this helps ;)

• H M
    7 anni fa
    We've trialled a few options in our last few homes. The absolute worst were metal Venetians as they are noisy , don't block much light and are hard to clean. We now have shutters in the living room (lovely,) curtains in the bedrooms (the best for block out but will need to be washed and the separate backings are wearing, although the curtains themselves are wearing well,) and wider white synthetic venetians in study and other rooms, as they cheaper than shutters and I think a great compromise, and they are OK to clean with a duster.
  • KK1000
    7 anni fa
    Definitely not Venetians , have you thought of sunscreen roller blind inside the window frame and Roman blind on the outside starting from the cornice to give the room hight and a bit of softness,specially for the bedrooms.
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".