Houzz Logo Print
marylynnl99

Master Bath counter tops

M loyd
7 anni fa
Which counter tops are better for in a master bath? Granite or Carrara Marble? I love the look of the marble, but had heard it isn't durable for bathroom. I had considered using some granite in bath because so much left over from my kitchen, but not sure how a darker counter (Typhoon Bordeaux) would look. Thank you for your help!

Commenti (15)

• gtcircus
    7 anni fa
    You need to seal the marble and it should be fine. You will need to reapply the sealer about once a year. Just got my stone counters installed today and I'm not worrying about it. Its stone, it will get used and I'll love it with all its warts. Waited so long to get this finished. Hotels in Paris France have marble tops and its part of the charm.
  • gtcircus
    7 anni fa
    And my counters are not Carrera marble. For counters it is too grey.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 anni fa

You will have to have a refinishing budget for any type of marble top especially in a bath. It may not look that hot in between refinishings either.

• hatetoshop
    7 anni fa

The marble is durable, but it becomes etched and stained easily, despite sealing. I've learned to live with it. Every time I see another mark, I think, "Yippee, patina."

• Judy Mishkin
    7 anni fa

do you have a fabricator willing to do your leftovers from the kitchen? i still wouldnt use marble in a bathroom (unlike ms shop, i cant get myself to yippee on patina, even after coffee) but i dont want you to make design assumptions and then find out you cant get anyone to cut and finish granite you already own.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 anni fa

We stay in a hotel in Rome that has an entire bathroom done in Carrara marble all the walls the counters the floor the shower it was done 40 yrs ago still looks awesome relax do what you like I love the patina that white marble gets it adds to the charm

• gtcircus
    7 anni fa
    Patricia, I totally agree. I stay in a hotel in Paris and I loved the look - that bath was from the 1920's and is still gorgeous. But not everyone does, so OP has to figure that out. I do not get American's take that stone has to look "brand new" it comes out of the ground, is a natural product and wears like stone. I expect it to look used after it is used.
  • PRO
    Charette Design
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Granite is less porous than Marble which is why you typically see Granite used for kitchen counter tops. Both materials have their "pros and cons". As stated above Marble should be sealed periodically as it can stain (Nail polish, liquid makeup etc.). It should be sealed when installed and then maybe every couple of years. Calcutta Fabricotti is a stunning stone. Per one of my Client's request I specified Carrera Slab in their Master Bath (shower surround, tub deck and apron and countertops, floors Carrera mosaic) and it is really a elegant bright look. My advice would be to use the same stone through out the bathroom and not mix in the Typhoon Bordeaux. Best of Luck!

• PRO
    Closed
    7 anni fa

Marble Counters require a lot of maintenance and many of the approaches to properly maintain them are negated by the use of many cleaning products that will strip the sealer and the polished surface. I always recommend using granite or quartz. there are some quartz tops that will have the look of marble with unsurpassed durability but the price tag can be a drawback. Depending on the amount of dark veining in your carrara, you could pull out the darker colors in the tile installation by selecting a dark granite counter top.

• gtcircus
    7 anni fa
    Charette, Calcutta Fabrocotti is a stunning marble. If there is one lesson I Iearned during this forced remodel - less is more especially in bathrooms. That means that everything is done to be a calm, relaxing space. Borders date tile - skip them. I did basketweave on the floor, carrera subway in the shower stall and Fabrocotti on the counter and shower trim. And as time marches forward when the next trend come and goes, I can switch out the wallpaper to update the space without having to tear out the entire bathroom.
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • Michaela Shipman
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Granite will be more durable than carrara marble for sure. Both have to be sealed about once a year, but granite is a harder stone. Carrara can stain more easily since it is porous. I suggest if you go with carrara keep up with the sealing and if you are worried about it, put some kind of tray or something under soap dispensers and such. If they were to rust, the rust can stain the stone.

If you want to go with the marble, do it! It is good that you are educating yourself now rather than down the road when it is stained and the stain cannot be removed. There really is nothing comparable to the beauty of natural marble!

• PRO
    Belmont Stones Inc
    7 anni fa

Whether you go with Marble,Granite or Quartz, it all depends on the look you are going for. If you want the Marble look but with less maintenance, you might want to look into Quartz.

Kitchen Installed · Maggiori informazioni

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".