Houzz Logo Print
shangyinl

Linen door swing direction/ bi-fold door?

shangyinl
7 anni fa
We have this linen closet inside laundry. Currently the door is swing inside the linen closet, that makes the door area can't be used for storage. I am thinking to change the door swing outward. But my builder think that's abnormal configuration. He thinks closet door should swing in. What is your opinion?

Another option would be a bi-folded door. But for some reason I feel bi-folded doors look cheap. Any thought?

Commenti (26)

• shangyinl
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Btw, the laundry door should swing to right side as marked as red.
  • valdeniss
    7 anni fa
    I would take down the linen door... I think it's not really that necessary... It would open up the space... Just try to keep it clean and tidy. As for the other door, a nice barn door would do the trick.
  • einportlandor
    7 anni fa

Either a pocket door or no door at all. Two doors that swings will be a pain. Can you use a pocket door for the laundry room, too?

• shangyinl
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Valdeniss, Thank you! I still prefer to have a door to hide the clutter. The laundry door doesn't bother me at all.
  • shangyinl
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

einportlandor, pocket door would be out of option now since it needs framing change. Would it look weird to just have only door case there?

• Emily Jowers
    7 anni fa
    I don't think it would be weird to have just a door casing.
  • hatetoshop
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

I'd keep the door as laundry rooms can get very dusty. I'm not sure all bi-folds look cheap, but this is a laundry room (and not often seen by guests), so function should come first.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 anni fa

The left wall of linen isn't useful for storage in ANY scenario unless hooks. Leave the Laundry door alone.......or you will need to close it every time you want to get to the washer and dryer.

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    7 anni fa

Hey There: If a pocket door is out of the option, you can use a barn door...operates exactly the same but slide in front of the wall and doesn't need framing...

They are available in different finishes and styles...

• User
    7 anni fa
    Pocket Door
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa
    Are you framed in? If not, pocket door but make sure no electricals go into the wall for pocket or mechanicals. If you are framed up a nice louvered double door would work. The could swing out and take up less space. If your builder has already ordered your door package it will be costly.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

Here are a couple of ideas. Of course, budget will probably dominate your decision.

My Houzz: Elegant DIY Updates for a 1970s Dallas Home · Maggiori informazioni
    These type doors come in different styles and looks. Louvered might be good for air circulation in this space.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

Aicher Project · Maggiori informazioni
    Swing doors could work but might be too pricey.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

Willow Glen Bathrooms · Maggiori informazioni
    These are cabinet doors, but they come in full double doors for spaces like this and are louvered for air flow.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

Other than that type of solution, your options are limited at this stage.

• shangyinl
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We already have electric wired up. So I am just considering the door swing or using a bi-folded door.

The laundry door is not removed, just changed the swing to right side and marked as red.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

I think a double door might be better than the "bi-fold". Those bi-folds are always sticking and hard to maneuver but you can make that determination. Good luck on your new home. This is just one of many dilemmas one encounters in the process of building a new home. Keep yourself calm and take problems as opportunities to make improvements! It is a journey!

• shangyinl
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Flo, thanks for your suggestions. The double door looks nice.

What about just swing outwards? That needs least change.
  • User
    7 anni fa
    Why have a pull out....wouldn't it be in the way of the door that would be open behind you.....go with pocket.
  • User
    7 anni fa
    Here is one

Master Bath · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 anni fa

The change of swing on the laundry door to the "red" results in a necessary closing of the door ever time you approach the washer and dryer, and an opening of same to exit with a basket of folded laundry!! . I'd have left it alone. Double swinging full length doors, even with heavily frosted glass could be lovely on the linen . They will close behind you, a nice feature , they will take less entry space to the linen, and also be more stable. At some point, realize much of this could have been solved PRIOR to framing and electrical to include such things as a smaller sink base, a pocket door, a stacking of front load washer and dryer.......... and lord knows what else.

The left wall of the linen is not "useless". In fact, any really useful linen storage depth added will likely just block the door, shorten the adjacent long side of usefulness. It's now a great spot to hang an ironing board, a great spot for hooks...... a message board.......whatever you dream up for it.

First world problems that you want solved on the fewest dollars ............require utmost scrutiny prior to framing and final electrical walk through.. Every inch of the plan, every doorway. All of it.........yup, every inch.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 anni fa

All the doors swing in the right direction. You cannot put shelving against the left side of the linen closet, because it will block the doorway. This way you can have shelving against the back and the right side of the closet. The other door to the laundry room is fine also being there is a hallway on the other side... if it swings into the hallway, last thing you want is walk out and whack someone walking in the head.

Good luck

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 anni fa

@ GN Bbuilders

We're falling on deaf ears : )

• Renee Texas
    7 anni fa

As the main opening looks into a wall, I'd throw an arch on top, and just leave it open at this point.

• User
    7 anni fa
    With that said you can have a farmers sliding door to enter the laundry and a pull out or nothing for the linen
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".