Houzz Logo Print
fierceandmagical

Does it matter how far the tile extends from the bathtub?

The contractor I'm working with has finished installing the tiled tub
surround in a stacked bond pattern of beveled subway tile. Much to my
surprise, rather than working with the full length of the tile and using
the schluter edge such as in the picture, he finished the edge by
cutting the tile in 1/3 pieces to extend the tiled surface over the
bathtub edge by 3.5".
As a result there is a column of small beveled rectangles from floor to
ceiling along the edge. The contractor is arguing that the extra two
inches of tile
is needed to protect the drywall and that is the foremost concern, not
the design. Does having the tile extend 3" rather than 1" over the
bathtub edge make a big difference?

Commenti (11)

• fierceandmagical
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

The tile goes right to the edge of, or slightly over, the cement board. He is emphasizing the need to protect the drywall, so it must be right at the tiles' edge. I can imagine that those 2" offer a little extra protection, but to throw the entire design of the bathroom for it? If protection is the concern, than why only 3-4" of tile from the tub's edge and not 6" or 8"? I'm trying to understand his logic and if I am being unreasonable to ask him to remove the column of 2" rectangles.

• PRO
    Attics to Basements Building & Renovations, Inc.
    7 anni fa
    Attach a picture of the finished product and the design. It is hard to say with just reading what you posted.
  • chispa
    7 anni fa

This should have been discussed before the job was even started. I gave my tile guy detailed scale drawings for the tile layout. When there were any decisions/changes to be made along the way, I was consulted and we laid out the different options and I then picked which layout/cuts I preferred.

• fierceandmagical
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Yes, we exchanged pictures and talked at length about how to finish the edges. In the future I would obviously underscore these details. The cut tile caught me totally by surprise.
  • dawna177
    7 anni fa

Honestly, it looks like he did a great job from the picture, and I've heard more than 1 pro say to extend the tile at least 2 inches from the end of the tub.

• chispa
    7 anni fa

dawna, photo shown in first post is not the actual bathroom.

• fierceandmagical
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Here is the actual tile I am talking about. As you can see, without those extra cut pieces the tile already extends 2" past the tub. We did talk about the trim and I sent pictures of the tile design before the job started, so the added column of small rectangles caught me completely by surprise.
  • Errant_gw
    7 anni fa

I think 2" is the bare minimum for a tub leg. I'd rather have just that 2" than the cut tile. Can you get a matching edge tile, instead? Even a soldier course of uncut tiles would look better, IMO.

• badgergal
    7 anni fa

Sorry, that does not look good. I agree with Errant a row of your tiles running vertical would look better than that. I think it would have been fine just ending it with the full subway and the Schluter edge too.

Since it is not what you discussed with your tiler, I think it's on him to make it the way you want it. You are the one that's paying him.

As far as the argument about the wall getting wet just make sure the shower curtain stays inside all the way to the end of the tub. Some vinyl liners have little suction cups near the bottom edge to stick to the tub and keep water from escaping.

• fierceandmagical
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks for your comments, they have been very helpful. I think 2" of tile beyond the tub's edge is fine and I've asked him to remove the cut pieces and end with the full size tile. :)
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".