Houzz Logo Print
lottie_schmidt

Need help with exterior of house...upvc windows

Lottie Schmidt
7 anni fa
Ultima modifica:7 anni fa

Exterior improvements · Maggiori informazioni

We recently bought a 1970s house with 90s extension. Bought for great location and size of house. Unfortunately we've inherited 24 upvc windows which for now, we can't afford to replace. We recently painted the orangey stained timber cladding F&B's Mole's Breath which has improved the look of the house but would like some ideas on what we can do to temporarily improve the look of the window frames. Also, any ideas for new back door?

Commenti (11)

• Daisy England
    7 anni fa
    It looks good. Perhaps paint the door the same colour as the F&B paint.
    Lottie Schmidt ha ringraziato Daisy England
  • Daisy England
    7 anni fa
    I'd leave the window frames as they are.
    Lottie Schmidt ha ringraziato Daisy England
  • Lottie Schmidt
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Thanks all. I'm wondering whether to paint the plastic trim around the frames with zinsser undercoat and then Mole's Breath...so as to minimise the plastic look. Unfortunately this photo is quite flattering! The door I just don't like. Full length glass one maybe?

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 anni fa
    Hi,
    Don't chose a grey that's too similar to the cladding. Either go very dark or very light.
    Yes, I think full glass would look fab and can be painted to match the windows.
    All the best, Gina
  • Lottie Schmidt
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks Gina. I like the idea of darker. Just need to find the right shade. Mole's Breath is quite distinctive. I think some nice contemporary planters along the wall with some greenery of some sort might lift things a little too. What do you think?

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 anni fa
    Yes, great idea. You could tac something climbing which would soften it all.
    I think you would need to get some testers and look at it against the grey of the cladding. You need something that compliments it and without seeing it 'in person' I wouldn't feel comfortable making an exact recommendation :) ...darker would look great though!
  • PRO
    Robert Way - One of the Great British Designers
    7 anni fa

Hi Lottie . Have a look at kolorbond to re-colour the upvc.

• PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7 anni fa

Hi Lottie, You could leave the windows for the moment, the colour you have painted looks great I think just update the door to a sleek modern aluminium style to complement the cladding and windows.

• Joanna C
    7 anni fa
    I think the house looks very cool as it. The windows look alright - barely a bother compared to upvc in older houses. I'd prefer the door to be glazed at the bottom( the plastic bottom panel is the only ugly thing in the photo). If you reprint the windows, I'd consider a darker grey so that they pop and look crisp with the existing colours.
  • Lottie Schmidt
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

If anyone happens to read this thread, I have actually started to repaint the Mole's Breath with Downpipe, which I much prefer. The Moles Breath, in certain light, took on a brownish hue which I didn't like. It hasn't weathered that well, but this side of the house is quite exposed to the elements so we knew we would need to re do on a regular basis. Downpipe is more of a definite grey I think. Still unsure of what to do with the windows, if any designers out there would like to suggest a frame colour that would go well with F & B Downpipe? Husband painted one of the frames early summer with Zinsser primer and two topcoats, just white for now, and so far it is weathering well. We also need to change the exterior lights if anyone has any good suggestions? The door will be replaced too. Just haven't got around to it yet! I'm comfortable with interior design but the exterior is bugging me and our budget is limited for now.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".